Best router

Old August 17th 13, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

Default Best router

Hi,

Currently have Netgear DGND3700 which I have had running for just over
2 years, and whilst it is ok connection wise, wireless performance is
a bit patchy in some areas, and I would like to get IPV6 up and
running if possible.

What are people using now for routers? I was thinking of getting the
newer Plusnet Thomson router, but not sure if another model would be
better?

Thanks.
Andrew.
Old August 17th 13, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Andrew Hodgson" wrote in message
Hi,

Currently have Netgear DGND3700 which I have had running for
just over
2 years, and whilst it is ok connection wise, wireless
performance is
a bit patchy in some areas, and I would like to get IPV6 up and
running if possible.

What are people using now for routers? I was thinking of
getting the
newer Plusnet Thomson router, but not sure if another model
would be
better?

Draytek seem to get good comments. Personally wouldn't touch
Thomson.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 17th 13, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 17/08/13 14:09, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

Currently have Netgear DGND3700 which I have had running for just over
2 years, and whilst it is ok connection wise, wireless performance is
a bit patchy in some areas, and I would like to get IPV6 up and
running if possible.

What are people using now for routers? I was thinking of getting the
newer Plusnet Thomson router, but not sure if another model would be
better?

Thanks.
Andrew.

what I am using is a POS TPlink, because my billion died. Will upgrade
to cisco when I've saved up some pocket money. Becase those CAN be
repaired, and they are only one of three or four models that have the
spec I am looking for, which is 'unusual'

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old August 17th 13, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

The Natural Philosopher writted thus:

On 17/08/13 14:09, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

Currently have Netgear DGND3700 which I have had running for just over
2 years, and whilst it is ok connection wise, wireless performance is a
bit patchy in some areas, and I would like to get IPV6 up and running
if possible.

What are people using now for routers? I was thinking of getting the
newer Plusnet Thomson router, but not sure if another model would be
better?

Thanks.
Andrew.

what I am using is a POS TPlink, because my billion died. Will upgrade
to cisco when I've saved up some pocket money. Becase those CAN be
repaired, and they are only one of three or four models that have the
spec I am looking for, which is 'unusual'

Since I accidentally went 802.11n I can't recommend TPlink enough, all
the stuff I've bought from them is well priced, easy to setup and just
works seamlessly - especially under Linux, although you might have to
compile the RTL wifi drivers yourself.

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old August 17th 13, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 17/08/13 17:27, tigger wrote:
[...]

I can say unhesitatingly that whilst TP link does the basics admirably,
all of the advanced menus are a complete lie, and undocumented.

I was utterly unable to set up two pass throughs and a firewall. In 12
hours of fiddling. All I succeed in doing was locking myself out of the
router completely.

I concluded that no one but me actually had ever tried.

By contrast the billion had a vile UI,. but once you found the correct
commands and understood the manual it did actually do what it said it
would.

Netgear is cheap and restricted in what it can do, but does it. Until it
doesn't and you throw it way.

D-link I like, and have always found them to be exactly what they say.

But TPlink is good hardware and a total disaster of a software.

When I get my cisco I may try reprogramming its flash.
:-)

Old August 17th 13, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

On 17/08/13 17:27, tigger wrote:
[...]

I certainly wouldn't recommend fiddling with a netgear, they seem to be
temperamental if not doing the basics. Never used D-link, and I haven't
delved too deeply into the TPlink yet, I was so pleased just to find the
dongle driver that I haven't wanted to upset things...

Trouble with a lot of network hardware is they try to be all things to
everyone and not specific enough. I was just glad to ditch the stupid BT
home hub.

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old August 17th 13, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:09:16 +0100, Andrew Hodgson
wrote:

Currently have Netgear DGND3700 which I have had running for just over
2 years, and whilst it is ok connection wise, wireless performance is
a bit patchy in some areas, and I would like to get IPV6 up and
running if possible.

What are people using now for routers? I was thinking of getting the
newer Plusnet Thomson router, but not sure if another model would be
better?

The problem I've found as I'm sure everyone else has is when
researching any product there are always good and bad reviews.

In March of this year I replaced a D-Link 2740B with a Billion 7800N.
One reason for choosing it was it is FTTC ready but perhaps the main
reason was the general positiveness in all the reviews I read and its
reputation for stability.

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/billion-7800n

One aspect I immediately liked is that it has plenty of ventilation,
been on 24/7 since March of this year and it remains almost cool to
touch. Not only is are there the grill vents in the top that you can
see from the photo but there is a fine grill on both sides.

It also seems to be be very resilient and has sailed through an ADSL
to ADSL 2+ upgrade. There are always downsides of course eg the stats
via the GUI interface are fairly basic but you can get more detailed
stats via Telnet CLI.

I have subseqently came across one comment on a discussion forum that
claimed the 7800N had poor build quality and recommended the 7800DXL.
It has a higher spec (eg Dual Band Wireless, latest broadcom chip etc)
and is slightly more expensive than the 7800N. While on the one hand
the 7800DXL might have been a better choice I am more than happy with
the 7800N.

Chris S
Old August 18th 13, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 17/08/2013 14:34, Woody wrote:

Draytek seem to get good comments. Personally wouldn't touch
Thomson.

I know from the IDNET forums people found Draytek IPv6 problematic.

I've never quite understood what Draytek are supposed to offer,
considering they cost so much. Maybe they are good for people who like
talking to support departments?

Old August 18th 13, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 17/08/2013 14:09, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

Currently have Netgear DGND3700 which I have had running for just over
2 years, and whilst it is ok connection wise, wireless performance is
a bit patchy in some areas, and I would like to get IPV6 up and
running if possible.

What are people using now for routers? I was thinking of getting the
newer Plusnet Thomson router, but not sure if another model would be
better?

Thanks.
Andrew.

If you're with Plusnet, they will probably send you one of their
Technicolor routers if you aske them, "free of charge". You pay the
postage and agree to stay with Plusnet for another year, or something
like that. If you don't intend switching, that's the cheapest option. If
you haven't got any special technical requirements, that should do you.
I have been using my "free" Technicolor router for some months now,
since my D-Link gave up the ghost and I'm pleasantly surprised that it
does what it should do - no problems, rock-solid connection, etc.

Old August 18th 13, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 18/08/13 00:20, Nick wrote:
On 17/08/2013 14:34, Woody wrote:

Draytek seem to get good comments. Personally wouldn't touch
Thomson.

I know from the IDNET forums people found Draytek IPv6 problematic.

I've never quite understood what Draytek are supposed to offer,
considering they cost so much. Maybe they are good for people who like
talking to support departments?

they were the only other router apart IIRC from billion and cisco who
stick VOIP phone sockets on the back.

My spece was

ADSL
two+ voip ports
pass through and firewalling that works
full SNMP monitoring.
remote syslog to local server.

I think those were the only three that actually had that capability.