FTTC speeds

Old August 18th 13, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default FTTC speeds

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?
--
rbel
Old August 18th 13, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 18/08/2013 19:34, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

Gawd knows - but to digress slightly, my wife's brother reports that he
has recently taken up BT Infinity and reckons that it's not much better
(maybe even worse!) than ADSL.
In particular, web-pages are taking longer to load than before.

I'm presuming that he had ADSL2 before taking up Infinity.

Could be contention?

Ideas, anyone?

Old August 18th 13, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:34:53 +0100, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

I thought it was pretty much immediate. I am getting 75.02 Mbps
download and 15.85 Mbps upload. Assuming you have FTTC, what are you
getting?
Old August 18th 13, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

rbel wrote...

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

Almost immediately.
Using the tester at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
I went from approx 7,500 Kbps before install to 35,000 Kbps before the
engineers were out the door. It has remained at about that level since
then (May 2012)

--
UnsteadyKen
Old August 18th 13, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 18/08/2013 19:34, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

Possibly for ever.

I was given an estimate of 48Mbps.

Achieved ~20Mbps.

Engineer tweaked to ~25Mbps.

Fourth engineer diagnosed and confirmed aluminium wiring from cabinet.

So - that is it.

Flop

Old August 18th 13, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:25:08 +0100, Scott
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:34:53 +0100, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

I thought it was pretty much immediate. I am getting 75.02 Mbps
download and 15.85 Mbps upload. Assuming you have FTTC, what are you
getting?

Actual 9.4 down and 0.5 up following a Friday connection (whilst the
down speed is 3x that of the previous ADSL2 connection the up speed is
actually lower).

The estimate was 31, which did surprise me a bit as we are quite some
distance from the cabinet but I was not expecting anything as low as
the current speeds. According to the BT chap who did the work the 2
other FTTC users in my area are getting no more than 11.
--
rbel
Old August 18th 13, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:34:53 +0100, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

I thought it was pretty much immediate. I am getting 75.02 Mbps
download and 15.85 Mbps upload. Assuming you have FTTC, what are you
getting?

Actual 9.4 down and 0.5 up following a Friday connection (whilst the
down speed is 3x that of the previous ADSL2 connection the up speed is
actually lower).

The estimate was 31, which did surprise me a bit as we are quite some
distance from the cabinet but I was not expecting anything as low as
the current speeds. According to the BT chap who did the work the 2
other FTTC users in my area are getting no more than 11.

If he is any good the BT chap who did the work should have a very good
idea of the speed you will actually get (fault free).

Had FTTC for some time. Speeds are around 35Mbps down and 8Mbps up.

Just did two measurements:

Ping 19s and 18s

Down 37.23Mbps and 37.36Mbps

Up 8.15Mbps and 8.14Mbps

About 600yds from the cabinet.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old August 19th 13, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Scott wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:34:53 +0100, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

I thought it was pretty much immediate. I am getting 75.02 Mbps
download and 15.85 Mbps upload. Assuming you have FTTC, what are you
getting?

As with ADSL, the speed achieved by the VDSL modem and the measured
value obtained from speedtest websites can often be quite different.

We're all familiar with the ADSL modem and the sync speed it reports.

The VDSL modem is limited in the same way: so the distance to the
cabinet, quality of wiring, noise interference and the like all conspire
to reduce the actual speed below that estimated purely from the distance.

The difficulty is that via your router I don't know how to interrogate
the VDSL modem that BT provided. So there may be no way to identify the
sync speed.

You could buy a Vigor 2850 or 2860 router and use it to replace the
BT-supplied VDSL modem. From the specification it appears that the
built-in VDSL modem can show the sync speed, SNR margin, and loop
attenuation figures that would be essential to the process of
identifying the nature of the problem.

Having established the sync speed, the download speed is then clearly
going to be less than the sync speed; and it might be further limited by:

a) other traffic using the connection - so measure with one clean PC
connected by Ethernet cable (not wireless), and nothing else connected;

b) contract - some entry level arrangements (e.g. Zen Fibre Lite) will
cap the download speed to 38Mbits/sec (and the download volume to 20
Gbyte/month);

c) backhaul undercapacity. In this case you might find that the
measured download speeds are rather better at off-peak times.

The resolution to (c) will be to change ISP.

--
Graham J

Old August 19th 13, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:34:53 +0100, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

Straight away IIRC.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old August 19th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:48:15 +0100, George Weston
wrote:

On 18/08/2013 19:34, rbel wrote:

How long does it take after an FTTC install for the achievable rather
than estimated down and up speeds to become evident?

Gawd knows - but to digress slightly, my wife's brother reports that he
has recently taken up BT Infinity and reckons that it's not much better
(maybe even worse!) than ADSL.
In particular, web-pages are taking longer to load than before.

I would have expected the speed of web pages being loaded would not
change between ADSL and FTTC. Most of the delay would be with the web
server.

I'm presuming that he had ADSL2 before taking up Infinity.

Could be contention?

Could be. My FTTC seems as good now as it was at the start but others
have noticed a drop in speed (different area though).
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?