a rather disturbing website ....

Old August 26th 13, 02:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default a rather disturbing website ....

.... came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests that if you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

I did look up one 3 year old dynamically allocated IP address in an
email from someone local, and it reckoned they were in Dorset, which is
a long way away, but the mail was several years old.

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

The implications are not pleasant. Especially in the context where I
discovered it being used. In essence any website that wants to know
where the person that said XYZ on their blog is located, to possibly
withina few miles, can do so.

And the site I chanced upon is one where the sort of people who run it,
would be quite capable of slinging a brick through your windows slashing
your tyres or worse.

Needless to say I got out very fast indeed.

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if you
want anonymity these days...

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old August 26th 13, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

Well for me it gets the city right, but nothing more specific. It's not
hard - a tracert to my current ip address:

C:\tracert 80.192.44.29

Tracing route to cpc6-sgyl35-2-0-cust28.18-2.cable.virginmedia.com
[80.192.44.29]
over a maximum of 30 hops: ....

gives the relevant data in Virgin Media's name for the device I'm connected
to. That "sgyl" means "South Gyle, Edinburgh", which is where the Telewest
(as was) offices are. When I've looked at VM's planned roll-out dates for
hardware upgrades in the past there's been a document that explains where in
the UK each four-character code represents.

It's not always a value you'd expect though. I have a VM connection in my
mum's house, also in Edinburgh, and at some point (if not now) the
4-character code that connection had was to somewhere in England. I presume
that means that at some point South Gyle didn't have the capacity it needed.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old August 26th 13, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:41:55 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

C:\tracert 80.192.44.29

Tracing route to cpc6-sgyl35-2-0-cust28.18-2.cable.virginmedia.com
[80.192.44.29]
over a maximum of 30 hops: ....

gives the relevant data in Virgin Media's name for the device I'm
connected to. That "sgyl" means "South Gyle, Edinburgh", which is where
the Telewest (as was) offices are. When I've looked at VM's planned
roll-out dates for hardware upgrades in the past there's been a document
that explains where in the UK each four-character code represents.

Plugging that IP address into http://www.ripe.net gives Edinburgh in
plaintext, too.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post
Old August 26th 13, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

[...]

I think you must live very near to a major data centre or own a static
IP address registered to you at your home address. The position it has
for me is more than 30 miles out and on the wrong side of the county. My
home isn't even on the map. I doubt if my traffic actually ever goes
that way either as most UK routing I see is via Leeds.

I may do a few experiments as it has piqued my curiosity.

The implications are not pleasant. Especially in the context where I
discovered it being used. In essence any website that wants to know
where the person that said XYZ on their blog is located, to possibly
withina few miles, can do so.

And the site I chanced upon is one where the sort of people who run it,
would be quite capable of slinging a brick through your windows slashing
your tyres or worse.

Needless to say I got out very fast indeed.

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if you
want anonymity these days...

If you have a static IP registered to your home address somewhere online
then I would expect it to be spot on.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old August 26th 13, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:07:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

... came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests that if you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

It thinks I'm in Stoke-on-Trent which is totally wrong.

Pathetic really as I make no attempt to hide my location in Cheadle
Hulme.

Steve

Old August 26th 13, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
... came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

Says I'm in Central London, living inside PlusNet's datacentre. Well, I don't.

--
Mark
Old August 26th 13, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests that if you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

I live in Liverpool, my ISP is based in Rochdale, but this IP tracker
website locates me to just south of St James's Park in London.

Should I be impressed? or scared? or what?

Rod.
Old August 26th 13, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

[...]

It thankfully showed me as London - where I ain't - with no further details.
Probably because I'm on a dynamic IP.
Old August 26th 13, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

A bit broken. It says i'm in the town of "Arnold", with a target
on Nottingham area. I think someone's mis-scraped their data, because
I actually live in Andrews ...

Usually I show up as being in Bracknell. Also wrong, but logical.

It certainly suggests that if you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known.

Fixed IP, and no, it knows where the IP address is registered, which
is not necessarily where *you* are.
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk

Old August 26th 13, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
the dog from that film you saw

[...]

it thinks i'm in paris.
who connects directly to the internet these days?

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.