Tiscali /TT sending emails from another ISP

Old August 29th 13, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Tiscali /TT sending emails from another ISP

At home we use Tiscali/TalkTalk as an ISP and use their email servers
for all mail. Whilst away from home I use a Three mobile dongle for
internet access.

Via Three I can download emails as normal, but I am not able to send
them - except by logging into TalkTalk web mail. Is there a solution to
this which allows me to use Outlook for both receive and send, via the
TT server?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old August 29th 13, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 29/08/13 12:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
At home we use Tiscali/TalkTalk as an ISP and use their email servers
for all mail. Whilst away from home I use a Three mobile dongle for
internet access.

Via Three I can download emails as normal, but I am not able to send
them - except by logging into TalkTalk web mail. Is there a solution
to this which allows me to use Outlook for both receive and send, via
the TT server?

Odd. they use ssl/and authentication on their smtp relay, so I can't
see why they would block access themselves from 3's network.

maybe 3 block access to smtp relays other than their own?

they certainly do for port 25 traffic.
http://support.ecenica.com/email/tro...band-and-smtp/

try these settings

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email/wh...email-settings

And post up what error message if any you are getting.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old August 29th 13, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

[...]

further to this I checked and I can certainly reach port 587 from a
'foreign' ISP but attempts to use port 25 resulted on my summary
disconnection.

So it looks like talktalk MAY allow port 25 traffic from its OWN customers.

And if you are using that, you should reconfigure that to use port
587/SSL ..probably with the same user name /password combo you use for
POP/IMAP..

it is not clear from your post exactly whet your setup is, or what error
you are getting..

Old August 29th 13, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 29/08/2013 12:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
At home we use Tiscali/TalkTalk as an ISP and use their email servers
for all mail. Whilst away from home I use a Three mobile dongle for
internet access.

Via Three I can download emails as normal, but I am not able to send
them - except by logging into TalkTalk web mail. Is there a solution to
this which allows me to use Outlook for both receive and send, via the
TT server?

Use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk:25 as the outgoing server.

Andy
Old August 30th 13, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

on 8/29/2013, The Natural Philosopher supposed :
further to this I checked and I can certainly reach port 587 from a 'foreign'
ISP but attempts to use port 25 resulted on my summary disconnection.

So it looks like talktalk MAY allow port 25 traffic from its OWN customers.

And if you are using that, you should reconfigure that to use port 587/SSL
..probably with the same user name /password combo you use for POP/IMAP..

it is not clear from your post exactly whet your setup is, or what error you
are getting..

I have tried Voda, O2 and now 3. I get the same error on each, using
the same settings as I use with Outlook on my wifi at home via
Tiscali....

Task - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) :
'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you
continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or
Internet service provider (ISP).'

I'm using smtp.tiscali.co.uk as the send server.

Old August 30th 13, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/08/13 11:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

That simply will not work except on tiscalis own network
telnet smtp.tiscali.co.uk 25
Trying 212.74.100.35...
Connected to smtp.tiscali.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host. ERROR

telnet smtp.tiscali.co.uk 587
Trying 212.74.100.35...

...never connects.

You need to use an authenticated relay to send

I've researched this a bit more, and basically tiscalis smtp relay is
unusable from outside their network.

What has been suggested is that you get a free gmail account and use the
gmail STMP relay with its auth credentials to send.

Another strongly recommended solutionis to register your own domain and
email with e.g. 123reg and use them as your email sender, and to
redirect incoming mail to your tiscali account.

e.g

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/order/doma...oomfield.me.uk

is actually available for 7 quid for two years, renewable, and I THINK

Oh, the buggers require you to purchase a mailbox too. Hmm.

Looks like the cheapest option is to get a gmail account and send
through that.

Unless taltalks smtp works for you.

Old August 30th 13, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Oh, the buggers require you to purchase a mailbox too. Hmm.

Looks like the cheapest option is to get a gmail account and send through
that.

Unless taltalks smtp works for you.

Thanks for the replies, it looks as if sending via O2 is the way to go
and I have an account with them already.

Old August 30th 13, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Vir Campestris submitted this idea :
On 29/08/2013 12:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
At home we use Tiscali/TalkTalk as an ISP and use their email servers
for all mail. Whilst away from home I use a Three mobile dongle for
internet access.

Via Three I can download emails as normal, but I am not able to send
them - except by logging into TalkTalk web mail. Is there a solution to
this which allows me to use Outlook for both receive and send, via the
TT server?

Use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk:25 as the outgoing server.

Andy

Send working at last :-)

I couldn't find my O2 details for my account, so I set up a gmail one.

In the single account setting I have managed to set it up to send via
gmail and receive via tiscali, both using Three as ISP whilst mobile.

Thanks again..

Old August 30th 13, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 30/08/2013 19:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Vir Campestris submitted this idea :
On 29/08/2013 12:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
At home we use Tiscali/TalkTalk as an ISP and use their email servers
for all mail. Whilst away from home I use a Three mobile dongle for
internet access.

Via Three I can download emails as normal, but I am not able to send
them - except by logging into TalkTalk web mail. Is there a solution to
this which allows me to use Outlook for both receive and send, via the
TT server?

Use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk:25 as the outgoing server.

Andy

Send working at last :-)

I couldn't find my O2 details for my account, so I set up a gmail one.

In the single account setting I have managed to set it up to send via
gmail and receive via tiscali, both using Three as ISP whilst mobile.

Thanks again..

Good. You may also wish to consider - in your Outlook Gmail account
settings - setting the "Reply to" address as your Tiscali address. Then,
when someone replies to an email sent via Gmail, the reply will come
back to Tiscali - which is probably what you want.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old August 30th 13, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Roger Mills wrote on 8/30/2013 :
[...]

Yes thanks, I remembered to do that.