Which ADSL broadband + phone supplier?

Old September 5th 13, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Which ADSL broadband + phone supplier?

Hi,

I'm looking for a new ADSL broadband and phoneline supplier (I despise
BT Retail to the degree that I no longer want to deal with them directly
as far as the phone line is concerned.)

I don't want to spend a vast amount, but equally, I realise that going
too cheap you probably get what you pay for. I don't need any inclusive
minutes on the phone contract, and my broadband download usage is
generally in the region of 20 - 40 GB a month. I'm not remotely
concerned by speed as long as it's fast enough to watch BBC iPlayer..

My previous ISP, IDNet, whom I otherwise had no complaints with, have
sadly put themselves out of the running as it turns out that they now
send support emails via GMail, which is an unacceptable breach of my
privacy as far as I'm concerned and certainly not something that I
ever knowingly consented to (yeah, I know, $black_helicopter_agency does
far worse, but Google are still evil enough in their own right).

My next filter is that ISPs owned by telcos seem to be generally
clueless and/or have dreadful customer service.

Unfortunately, there seem to have been a lot of buy-outs in the ISP
market, meaning that there now seem to be far fewer medium-sized,
clueful and helpful ISPs than there once were.

My options seem to come down to:

A&A: Somewhat expensive, and their telephone line option doesn't seem
to allow outgoing calls, annoyingly (although I rarely use the landline,
there are still evil companies who you have to call on a
non-mobile-inclusive 08 number occasionally sigh).

Zen: Their means of adding extra download quota seems awkard, why not
just bill you the extra automatically the next month?

PlusNet: I know that they are now part of the BT cube, but they
once were an indie and apparently have not yet fully evil as a result of
their assimilation? I see that they have a special deal on line rental
if you purchase 12 months up-front: I seem to recall that BT had/have a
similar deal but were highly sneaky in requiring cancellation on the
renewal date or the "deal" would auto-renew. I absolutely don't want to
be locked-in to an ongoing long-term contract (beats me how it can even
be legal for any telco to have a minimum line rental contract that is
longer than the minimum tenancy agreement (6 months), but I digress..).
Have PlusNet followed BT's poor example, or is their line rental offer
"clean" and can be switched to month-to-month without difficulty?

Are there any other medium-size ISPs that are worth considering?
Unfortunately, it really does seem that choice has shrunk considerably
of late.. :-(

Thanks for any advice,

David.

Old September 5th 13, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:50:53 +0100
David wrote:

[...]

I am with Zen, and I think they are great. Once you reach 50% of your
monthly quota, they send you a warning e-mail message, so there is
plenty of time to add more. I have never done that, so cannot comment on
the process. All contracts, except FTTC, are one month minimum
duration, which makes a mockery of BT.

Reading this group, Plusnet seems to be ok.

--
Davey.
Old September 5th 13, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 04/09/13 23:50, David wrote:

My previous ISP, IDNet, whom I otherwise had no complaints with, have
sadly put themselves out of the running as it turns out that they now
send support emails via GMail, which is an unacceptable breach of my
privacy as far as I'm concerned and certainly not something that I
ever knowingly consented to (yeah, I know, $black_helicopter_agency does
far worse, but Google are still evil enough in their own right).

Did you ever discover the rationale for that?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old September 5th 13, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I'm looking for a new ADSL broadband and phoneline supplier

I've used Merula for 12 years, a small ISP but with it's own hosting centre
in Huntingdon. Excellent support, and very flexible, need a service,
they'll (eventually) arrange it for you.

http://www.merula.net/

Offers broadband, dialup, telephone lines, VoIP, web hosting and rack space.

Angus

Old September 5th 13, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

I'm looking for a new ADSL broadband and phoneline supplier (I despise
BT Retail to the degree that I no longer want to deal with them directly
as far as the phone line is concerned.)

I don't want to spend a vast amount, but equally, I realise that going
too cheap you probably get what you pay for. I don't need any inclusive
minutes on the phone contract, and my broadband download usage is
generally in the region of 20 - 40 GB a month. I'm not remotely
concerned by speed as long as it's fast enough to watch BBC iPlayer..

Maximum possible ADSL Speed will depend on where you are, regardless
of which ISP you use. The bottleneck is the cable from your local
exchange to your house, and all ISPs will use the same one.

I'm very happy with Zen. They don't seem to throttle the speed at any
time of the day, and the monthly limit of 100GB is well in excess of
my needs. If you transfer the management of your phone service to
them, their line rental charge is a bit lower than BT's.

Several other family members use Plusnet and are generally happy with
that too. Plusnet's internet services are a bit cheaper than Zen, but
they do throttle the speed at busy times. You get what you pay for.

Both the above companies have their own customer support call centres
in the UK, and they speak English. On the few occasions when I've
needed to use them I've found them to be very helpful.

Rod.
Old September 5th 13, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Seconded - Plusnet are pretty good. Just had a problem a couple of
days ago with my connection. Phone was fine, ADSL was connecting but
no further. I waited an hour or two to see if it would 'fix itself',
but to no avail. So I tried their helpline but was warned, in advance
which was unusual and helpful, that there was an expected wait time of
20 mins. So then I used my mobile as an access point, went on to
their website, filled in a problem/trouble-shooting questionnaire, and
within a couple of hourse or so of doing that, noticed the problem had
been fixed.

Old September 5th 13, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 04/09/2013 23:50, David wrote:
[...]

I migrated my broadband from BT to Plusnet many years ago, much for the
same reasons.
It was independent of BT in those days, so my heart sunk when BT bought
them out.
However, they have stayed "independent" operationally and I'm still
happy with their service and their prices (notwithstanding the
forthcoming price increase if you don't have both phone and broadband
from them). The "Unlimited" tariff which I'm on is just that.
I've stayed with BT for my phone service, probably through lethargy, to
be honest but might possibly go for the all-Plusnet option in the near
future.
I've also heard good things about Zen, as others have commented.
Probably no coincidence that they're both based in and operate out of
Yorkshire, rather than Bangalore!

Old September 6th 13, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

George Weston considered Thu, 05 Sep 2013
12:20:47 +0100 the perfect time to write:

[...]

I think you'll find that Zen are on t'other side of the Pennines from
Plusnet.
Old September 6th 13, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 04/09/2013 23:50, David wrote:

Are there any other medium-size ISPs that are worth considering?
Unfortunately, it really does seem that choice has shrunk considerably
of late.. :-(

Thanks for any advice,

+1 for Both Zen and Plusnet.

Following many years of B.T. (domestic and retail) and wasting hours
trying to get through to someone to sort out a fake "order" on one of
the business lines I moved 3 tele. Lines from B.T. to Zen.

I use a "Fibre office pro" Zen @ home and Zen ADSL connection at work
(no fibre yet)
I Also use Plusnet @ work (is the original 6.99 for 10GB/month) on the
2nd line as a fail-over.

Don't worry about the "topping up" procedure of Zen It's really easy (if
you ever need it) but more importantly it costs nothing to upgrade or
downgrade your service with a phone call. (can't do it on-line)

I started on Fibre 200GB package then dropped down to 100GB and more
recently had to push it back up to 200GB due to a family members
obsession with YouTube HD. It's just a few seconds on the phone and
your bill is amended from that day so you never lose out and it doesn't
cost a penny to re-grade.

Top-up stays banked and is always there as a reserve which I used for a
while just to cover the last few days of the month when going over 100GB.

All phone calls go over VOIP (not the Zen offering) which is works
perfectly so can't comment on their actual telephone calls but 3 lines
is saving me quite a few compared to BT each month.

http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Functional and Commercial Strength Training equipment.

Old September 6th 13, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 01:47:50 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

I've also heard good things about Zen, as others have commented.
Probably no coincidence that they're both based in and operate out of
Yorkshire, rather than Bangalore!

I think you'll find that Zen are on t'other side of the Pennines from
Plusnet.

....but the same side of Watford Gap.

And their Customer Support is the same side of the Arabian Sea.

Rod.