Tesco boadband and phone - moving house

Old September 6th 13, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

Default Tesco boadband and phone - moving house

I have broadband and phone with Tesco, and pay my line rental to them.
I'm moving to a new house only a couple of miles away from the existing
one, and contacted them to get the service transferred to the new
property, which already has a line installed.

They say they cannot do this, and it needs a cease and an order of a new
connection, and that I cannot keep my existing number, quote:

"Tesco Broadband and Homephone are unable to do a transfer of service.
We have to close the service at your present address and place a new
order for the new property. This is why we have to allocate a new
telephone number for you"

Is this usual? Would getting a MAC code and moving to another ISP
before moving allow me to retain my phone number?

Why are these things never simple?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old September 6th 13, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Are both lines on the same exchange, I believe that is a requirement to
transfer numbers.
Regards
David

Old September 6th 13, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"David" wrote in message ...

Are both lines on the same exchange, I believe that is a requirement to
transfer numbers.
Regards
David

*******

Ofcom sound useless.

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/phonossitch1

Regards
David
Old September 6th 13, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , David
escribió:

Are both lines on the same exchange, I believe that is a requirement to
transfer numbers.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that (I did say both houses are only
about a mile apart). Yes, they're both on the same exchange.

Plusnet's number checker says it is possible to keep the number, so why
Tesco can't do it is beyond me.

Thinking of switching to Plusnet, taking up their current unlimited
offer (9 months for 2.99 plus line rental and calls), waiting a couple
weeks then asking them for a move.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old September 6th 13, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 06/09/2013 10:50, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I have broadband and phone with Tesco, and pay my line rental to them.
I'm moving to a new house only a couple of miles away from the existing
one, and contacted them to get the service transferred to the new
property, which already has a line installed.

They say they cannot do this, and it needs a cease and an order of a new
connection, and that I cannot keep my existing number, quote:

"Tesco Broadband and Homephone are unable to do a transfer of service.
We have to close the service at your present address and place a new
order for the new property. This is why we have to allocate a new
telephone number for you"

Is this usual? Would getting a MAC code and moving to another ISP
before moving allow me to retain my phone number?

Why are these things never simple?

To answer your question, it's probably because Tesco run a cheap - but
basic - telephone/broadband service.
Tesco phone/broadband used to be run by Virgin Media but is now run by C&W.
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for, which in this
case appears to be not much. Time to consider migrating permanently?
(Having said all that, my wife has a pay-as-you-go mobile phone on
Tesco's mobile network. However, this run by O2, not C&W. It's cheap and
works just fine.)
Old September 6th 13, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"George Weston" wrote in message .

To answer your question, it's probably because Tesco run a cheap - but
basic - telephone/broadband service.
Tesco phone/broadband used to be run by Virgin Media but is now run by C&W.
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for, which in this
case appears to be not much. Time to consider migrating permanently?
(Having said all that, my wife has a pay-as-you-go mobile phone on
Tesco's mobile network. However, this run by O2, not C&W. It's cheap and
works just fine.)

******

Yes agree with both those services our mobiles are Pay as you Go and can't
remember when last they topped up seems they go on for ever.
Long time back we had Tesco as ISP in the very early days and can remember
that it was sub contracted also the customer service was sub contracted to a
different company as well.
Regards
David

Old September 6th 13, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 10:50:21 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I have broadband and phone with Tesco, and pay my line rental to them.
I'm moving to a new house only a couple of miles away from the existing
one, and contacted them to get the service transferred to the new
property, which already has a line installed.

They say they cannot do this, and it needs a cease and an order of a new
connection, and that I cannot keep my existing number, quote:

"Tesco Broadband and Homephone are unable to do a transfer of service.
We have to close the service at your present address and place a new
order for the new property. This is why we have to allocate a new
telephone number for you"

Is this usual? Would getting a MAC code and moving to another ISP
before moving allow me to retain my phone number?

Why are these things never simple?

There was a discussion on the BE forum a while back about this. BE
provide a phone service using BT WLR3 - I don't know if Tesco use WLR3
too.
Anyway, allocating a new number seems to be a requirement of doing a
"simultaneous provide" - i.e. providing phone and broadband at the
same time. BE users trying to switch both phone and broadband (at
their current address) to Plusnet (as an example) were getting the same
story.
Whatever is done, if it involves BT OR, will need a "cease" and a "provide",
as AFAIK they have no simple "move" process.
I suspect you may have to cancel your broadband before the move, and then
sign up again from the new property. That way you're only moving the
phone, and that should enable you to keep the number. If not, I'd
switch the phone away from Tesco.
Old September 6th 13, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Mike Tomlinson (for it is he) wrote:

"Tesco Broadband and Homephone are unable to do a transfer of service.
We have to close the service at your present address and place a new
order for the new property. This is why we have to allocate a new
telephone number for you"

Is this usual?

It's just "lazy" [read: avoids admin work for them]. They don't want to deal
with the hassle of doing it right, so they just say it can't be done. Really
they should offer to charge you for it, but have presumably calculated that
it's not worth offering at any price.

alexd
Old September 6th 13, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Andrew Benham (for it is he) wrote:

BE provide a phone service using BT WLR3 - I don't know if Tesco use WLR3
too.

I don't think there's any choice if you're a BT reseller. It's WLR3 or
nothing.

alexd
Old September 7th 13, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 15:27:52 +0100, George Weston
wrote:

To answer your question, it's probably because Tesco run a cheap - but
basic - telephone/broadband service.
Tesco phone/broadband used to be run by Virgin Media but is now run by C&W.
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for, which in this
case appears to be not much. Time to consider migrating permanently?
(Having said all that, my wife has a pay-as-you-go mobile phone on
Tesco's mobile network. However, this run by O2, not C&W. It's cheap and
works just fine.)

Tesco is a retailer for other suppliers. I have broadband, home phone
and mobile from Tesco and I recently moved house. I kept the same
number. All Tesco needed was my new address to keep the direct debit
flowing!

Steve