Broadband/phone bundle suppliers who offer static IP - recommendations please

Old September 10th 13, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Broadband/phone bundle suppliers who offer static IP - recommendations please

I have two phone lines and two ADSL connections, currently one is with
PlusNet and the other is with BT Business. I'm looking to save some
money by moving the BT Business line to something/someone cheaper.

I don't really want both lines with PlusNet just from the point of view
of reliability (I know most faults are likely to take both lines out
anyway, but still).

I'd also like to have a second static IP (I already have one with
PlusNet).

So who offers reasonably priced (competitive with Plusnet?) broadband
and phone bundles which offer static IP?

--
Chris Green

Old September 19th 13, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 18/09/2013 19:12, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 18/09/2013 18:59, wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
On 10/09/2013 13:45,
wrote:
I have two phone lines and two ADSL connections, currently one is with
PlusNet and the other is with BT Business. I'm looking to save some
money by moving the BT Business line to something/someone cheaper.

I don't really want both lines with PlusNet just from the point of view
of reliability (I know most faults are likely to take both lines out
anyway, but still).

The lines are supplied by, and repaired by BT/Openreach regardless of
ISP so there is no advantage in what you are seeking.

There is still ISP infrastructure behind the local (to exchange and
beyond) connections. It's not unknown for an ISP to have problems.

Which is almost always supplied by BT so it is still irrelevant.

Not entirely the case. We rent host links from Wholesale. These host
links are responsible for the physical connectivity between the
front-end routers that sit in front of our access racks/gateways
(Plusnet owned) and BT's front-end routers that feed out to various
points of presence on the Wholesale network and then out to telephone
exchanges/the local loop etc. (BT owned).

The host links (to a certain degree), BT's front-end routers, the
Wholesale network and beyond is owned and maintained by BT.

Anything the other side of (and including) our front-end routers is
owned and maintained by us, including transit/peering arrangements,
bandwidth management, traffic management, caching DNS etc.

Based on this, there's still some logic in not putting all of your eggs
in one basket. An engineer working in one of our data centres could
theoretically knock the host link fibre free of one of our front-end
routers. This would cause a partial outage across our network that would
not affect other users of BT Wholesale's network.

Very high-level diagram here -
http://users.plus.net/QL:5ACA4F98