Can't connect to Scottish Wildlife Trust website.

Old September 16th 13, 11:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 213 + on desktop

Default Can't connect to Scottish Wildlife Trust website.

It's a strange one. My netbook, desktop and Xperia smartphone are
connected to the Internet by wifi through my Tecnicolor TG582n router
(Plusnet supplied). None of these will connect to any of the Scottish
Wildlife Trust webpages (195.12.48.189) although up to last week I have
accessed them daily for several years. I've tried the following:

Tracert shows 7 steps followed by Repeated 'Request timed out'

Ping shows 4 lines of Request timed out

Neotrace shows 5 nodes, all giving response times but final node states
'Response time None'

Disabled router firewall - no change

Disabled Plusnet BB firewall - no change

Changed router to a 2wire 2700GHV - no change

Connected Netbook to Internet via Orange (EE) through 3G dongle - no
change.

Disabled wifi on Xperia and *can* connect to the sites through Orange
(EE)

Anyone out there got any bright ideas as to what is going on.

Incidentally as far as I can tell no other websites are affected, and
connect OK.

Both computers are running Windows XP Home Edition Service pack 3 and
IE8. Each also has the Windows firewall activated and is running ms
essentials.

Also tried to open in Opera and Chrome without success in either.

No ideas left now, except I was thinking DNS? Bbut don't know
anything about that works.

--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 213+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old September 16th 13, 01:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:32:41 +0100
"Flyiñg Ñuñ 213 + on desktop" wrote:

It's a strange one. My netbook, desktop and Xperia smartphone are
connected to the Internet by wifi through my Tecnicolor TG582n router
(Plusnet supplied). None of these will connect to any of the
Scottish Wildlife Trust webpages (195.12.48.189) although up to last
week I have accessed them daily for several years.

Looks fine from here, both http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/
and 195.12.48.189

Anyone out there got any bright ideas as to what is going on.

Incidentally as far as I can tell no other websites are affected, and
connect OK.

Both computers are running Windows XP Home Edition Service pack 3 and
IE8. Each also has the Windows firewall activated and is running ms
essentials.

Also tried to open in Opera and Chrome without success in either.

No ideas left now, except I was thinking DNS? Bbut don't know
anything about that works.

You're using a numeric address so DNS isn't an issue - that just
translates from http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/ to
195.12.48.189. It appears to be a routing problem, nothing that your
machines can do about it, especially as you've tried different
connections and it works on one but not the other. It's the sort of
thing that usually settles down after a day or two, when hardware
fails or network engineers have been messing around and changes haven't
propagated throughout the system, but in the meantime you could try
connecting through a HTTP proxy.
In Chromium (so probably the same in Chrome) that's
Edit-Preferences-Show advanced settings-Network Change proxy
settings, set method to Manual and enter settings, DON'T select
"Apply system wide".
I just connected using 95.154.244.186 port 82, so try that, but beware I
don't have any idea who's running it or whether they're trustworthy, so
don't enter any confidential information when you're using that proxy,
and remove it from the settings (or at least disable it) once you've
tested.

Old September 16th 13, 04:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 213 + on desktop

news:[email protected]
"Flyig u 213 + on desktop" wrote:

[...]

Yep! I'd worked that out Rob, neither url nor IP address works.

It appears to be a routing problem, nothing that your
machines can do about it, especially as you've tried different
connections and it works on one but not the other. It's the sort of
thing that usually settles down after a day or two, when hardware
fails or network engineers have been messing around and changes
haven't
propagated throughout the system,

But is that true? I would have thought that as I could not connect when
using the BB dongle instead of the BB connection along the BT lines that
would have negated that conclusion.

but in the meantime you could try
connecting through a HTTP proxy.
In Chromium (so probably the same in Chrome) that's
Edit-Preferences-Show advanced settings-Network Change proxy
settings, set method to Manual and enter settings, DON'T select
"Apply system wide".
I just connected using 95.154.244.186 port 82, so try that, but beware
don't have any idea who's running it or whether they're trustworthy,
so
don't enter any confidential information when you're using that proxy,
and remove it from the settings (or at least disable it) once you've
tested.

Hm! I'm very lothe to try that as I have no confidence in my knowledge
of and lack of confidence in my knowledge of proxy use. I'm really a
nimpty at all this stuff, if you haven't gathered that already.

Old September 17th 13, 04:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 213 + on desktop

"Flyig u 213 + on desktop" wrote in
message ...
news:[email protected]
"Flyig u 213 + on desktop" wrote:

[...]

Now this is really getting silly. This morning I switched off my router
for about hour then rebooted it. The only change I could see was a
higher downstream connection speed (up to 10.094 Mbps from 8.915 Mbps) a
gateway change from pcl-ag04 to pcl-ag08 and, of course a fall in
downstream SNR from 4.7 dB to 3.1 dB. I carried out a ping
195.12.48.195 and still got timed out. Tried to open the swt sites
with no success. That was around 11:00. Now 10 minutes ago I pinged
195.12.48.195 from the Netbook - still timed out. Tried from my desktop
and got this:

Pinging 195.12.48.189 with 32 bytes of data:

So tried to open the swt sites - SUCCESS. Went back to the Netbook and
repeated bothe operations - SUCCESS. Went to Xperia Smartphine and
tried to open sites - SUCCESS. So what the h*** has been going on for
the last 10 days or so, and who do I thank for putting another 50p in
their lecce meter?

Old September 18th 13, 11:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

In uk.comp.home-networking, "Flyig u 213 + on desktop"
wrote:

tried to open sites - SUCCESS. So what the h*** has been going on for
the last 10 days or so, and who do I thank for putting another 50p in
their lecce meter?

Very likely, something outside of your control, at the website end, or your
ISP, or the network in between the two.
--
Tony Evans
Seeking archives for uk.* from 1998 and older. Especially interested
Old September 19th 13, 01:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 213 + on desktop

wrote:

tried to open sites - SUCCESS. So what the h*** has been going on for
the last 10 days or so, and who do I thank for putting another 50p in
their lecce meter?

Very likely, something outside of your control, at the website end, or
your
ISP, or the network in between the two.

In fact it was cured by the Plusnet Service Team. They had monitored my
query in plusnet.service.status-feedback newsgroup and asked is I really
needed the static IP address I had. I said I wasn't really bothered
either way, so before I realised it they enabled dynamic IP address and
kicked my connection to change the IP and that immediately cured the
problem. So it appears for some reason, I have no idea why, the
Scottish Wildlife Trust server did not recognise or reply to my previous
static addy. So it's a big thanks to the Plusnet Service Team.
Strange that no one else had come up with a similar suggestion.

Old September 19th 13, 10:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:00:15 +0100
"Flyiñg Ñuñ 213 + on desktop" wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
In uk.comp.home-networking, "Flyiñg Ñuñ 213 + on desktop"
wrote:

[...]

Not so strange when you consider that it was probably just Plusnet
taking the opportunity to steal your fixed IP address (IPv4 addresses
are getting scarce, providers are reluctant to invest in IPv6 in the
current economic climate) and routing changes would have settled down in
a day or two anyway.

Old September 20th 13, 12:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 213 + on netbook

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately the fix has proved to be only temporary Rob.. Suddenly
this evening I could not connect to the Scottish Wildlife Trust, but as
far as I can see I can connect to all other websites. It's happening
again on netbook, desktop and Xperia smartphone. I checked my IP
address which was 31.185.253.25 and changed it by switching off my
router, waiting 15 minutes and then rebooting it. I then got a new
IP address ***.***.***.***. Unfortunately that has not made any
difference and I still can't connect to the swt server. Any ideas?
Your first one seemed good but has proved to only be temporary and not
lasted much more than 2 days.

Old September 20th 13, 01:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 00:44:48 +0100
"Flyiñg Ñuñ 213 + on netbook" wrote:

Unfortunately the fix has proved to be only temporary Rob.. Suddenly
this evening I could not connect to the Scottish Wildlife Trust, but
as far as I can see I can connect to all other websites. It's
happening again on netbook, desktop and Xperia smartphone. I checked
my IP address which was 31.185.253.25 and changed it by switching
off my router, waiting 15 minutes and then rebooting it. I then
got a new IP address ***.***.***.***. Unfortunately that has not
made any difference and I still can't connect to the swt server. Any
ideas? Your first one seemed good but has proved to only be temporary
and not lasted much more than 2 days.

Looks like the host is down this time - nothing currently on the service
status page https://twitter.com/openhosting but you could try email or
telephone or call 0161 615 1273 in case they
haven't noticed.

Old September 20th 13, 06:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 213 + on netbook

"Flyig u 213 + on netbook" wrote:

Unfortunately the fix has proved to be only temporary Rob.. Suddenly
this evening I could not connect to the Scottish Wildlife Trust, but
as far as I can see I can connect to all other websites. It's
happening again on netbook, desktop and Xperia smartphone. I checked
my IP address which was 31.185.253.25 and changed it by switching
off my router, waiting 15 minutes and then rebooting it. I then
got a new IP address ***.***.***.***. Unfortunately that has not
made any difference and I still can't connect to the swt server. Any
ideas? Your first one seemed good but has proved to only be temporary
and not lasted much more than 2 days.

Looks like the host is down this time - nothing currently on the
service status page https://twitter.com/openhosting but you could try
email or telephone or call 0161 615 1273 in
case they haven't noticed.

Thanks for that Rob, will do.