WPS status on BT Home Hub routers?

Old September 23rd 13, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Default WPS status on BT Home Hub routers?

I've only just noticed a 'Wireless WPS' button on the new (slim) router I
installed a couple of months ago. (BT sent me a new one prior to upgrading
to their Infinity service.)

That prompted some googling to learn what WPS was. But after an hour I'm
still unclear on the basic question of whether it's actually enabled or
not. I gather it was disabled by BT (remotely, using firmware?) because of
a security exposure. Some reports indicate that's now fixed, others still
say it's disabled. Can someone tell me the true status please?

How can I tell definitively if it's working here? I've resisted the
temptation to press the button, but what if anything should happen if I
did? And am I right that its purpose is to let me add say a wireless
printer without having to tediously enter passwords etc?

Finally, if it IS still disabled, what is my likely exposure?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old September 23rd 13, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Terry Pinnell writted thus:

I've only just noticed a 'Wireless WPS' button on the new (slim) router
I installed a couple of months ago. (BT sent me a new one prior to
upgrading to their Infinity service.)

That prompted some googling to learn what WPS was. But after an hour I'm
still unclear on the basic question of whether it's actually enabled or
not. I gather it was disabled by BT (remotely, using firmware?) because
of a security exposure. Some reports indicate that's now fixed, others
still say it's disabled. Can someone tell me the true status please?

How can I tell definitively if it's working here? I've resisted the
temptation to press the button, but what if anything should happen if I
did? And am I right that its purpose is to let me add say a wireless
printer without having to tediously enter passwords etc?

Finally, if it IS still disabled, what is my likely exposure?

Mine can be enabled/disabled in the hub menu, so if it was disabled in
the firmware, mine isn't now...

Open the web browser and go to
http://bthomehub.home
to open the Hub Manager.
Enter the admin password.
Once you've logged in click the "Advanced Settings" tab
Confirm by clicking the Continue to Advanced Settings button
Click on Settings.
You might be asked to enter your Hub password at this point.
Go into Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Select the On/Off option on Wireless push button connection (WPS) enable.
Click Apply.

Ahh, I just found this...

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-...gets-disabled-
by-BT/td-p/776140

WPS no longer gets disabled by BT
on ‎13-02-2013

We recently started to switch on the WPS functionality on our Hub 3's.
It is being rolled out over the next few months so some hubs have had
this enabled already but it will take a while to have this rolled out
across all hub 3.0s.
Rest assured that we would not be doing this if there were any security
concerns in switching on WPS.
Cheers
BTCare Community Manager

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old September 23rd 13, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Simon

"Terry Pinnell" wrote:

How can I tell definitively if it's working here? I've resisted the
temptation to press the button, but what if anything should happen if I
did? And am I right that its purpose is to let me add say a wireless
printer without having to tediously enter passwords etc?

Finally, if it IS still disabled, what is my likely exposure?

Hi Terry,

You are correct with your assumption of what it is.

Info on the flaw he

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/723755

No idea if fixed or not. I tend to just turn this off myself anyway on any
routers I set up since I read about it and not bothered checking it's status
since. Maybe just knock it off anyway - you're obviously quite clued up even
asking about it, so guessing it's not too hard for you to just enter keys
manually? :-)

Instructions on how to turn WPS off on BT Hubs 3/4 here, hopefully one of
these is the version you have:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...-3-or-hub-4%3F

S.

Old September 23rd 13, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:52:03 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

I've only just noticed a 'Wireless WPS' button on the new (slim) router I
installed a couple of months ago. (BT sent me a new one prior to upgrading
to their Infinity service.)

That prompted some googling to learn what WPS was. But after an hour I'm
still unclear on the basic question of whether it's actually enabled or
not. I gather it was disabled by BT (remotely, using firmware?) because of
a security exposure. Some reports indicate that's now fixed, others still
say it's disabled. Can someone tell me the true status please?

How can I tell definitively if it's working here? I've resisted the
temptation to press the button, but what if anything should happen if I
did? And am I right that its purpose is to let me add say a wireless
printer without having to tediously enter passwords etc?

Finally, if it IS still disabled, what is my likely exposure?

I'm not sure if the brute force security weakness has been fully
resolved.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup for details.

Steve

Old September 23rd 13, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

I've only just noticed a 'Wireless WPS' button on the new (slim) router I
installed a couple of months ago. (BT sent me a new one prior to upgrading
to their Infinity service.)

That prompted some googling to learn what WPS was.[...]

It's a waste of time. For some reason somebody thinks it's easier to
push a button on one piece of equipment then dash across the room and
enter a number on another piece of equipment within a time limit, than
it is simply to enter a password without pushing any buttons and
taking as much time as you want. Whether it has any security issues or
not I've never seen the point of the extra rigmarole and always
disable it. You just log in to the router using the 192.168.x.x
address in the usual way and somewhere there will be a box to un-tick.

Rod.
Old September 23rd 13, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

I've only just noticed a 'Wireless WPS' button on the new (slim) router I
installed a couple of months ago. (BT sent me a new one prior to upgrading
to their Infinity service.)

That prompted some googling to learn what WPS was.[...]

It's a waste of time. For some reason somebody thinks it's easier to
push a button on one piece of equipment then dash across the room and
enter a number on another piece of equipment within a time limit, than
it is simply to enter a password without pushing any buttons and
taking as much time as you want. Whether it has any security issues or
not I've never seen the point of the extra rigmarole and always
disable it. You just log in to the router using the 192.168.x.x
address in the usual way and somewhere there will be a box to un-tick.

Rod.

Well, I'd beg to differ.
I obtained a new router a while back with a WPS button. I didn't know
what the button was for until I went to (re)connect my wi-fi printer -
which was a bugger to set up originally. I'd forgotten all the passwords
and so on and was expecting the worst again.
Faced with all this, I then read the instructions (as you do, only when
you need to!)...
With the press of a couple of buttons my printer was recognised and working.
Simples - what's not to like?
Old September 23rd 13, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/pc/redbut.html

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 23rd 13, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:00:10 +0100, George Weston
wrote:

[...]

If you didn't know your wireless security code before, you probably
still don't know it now. How will you connect any other devices that
haven't got WPS buttons?

My network includes a wireless router, three bridges, four computers
(two of them dual-boot), a smartphone, a network printer, three
network disk drives and an internet radio. I have notes of all the
login names, security codes, passwords and IP addresses and can access
the setup pages of any device from any computer. If any visiting
friend or relative has a smartphone or laptop, I can get them
connected in minutes without touching anything of mine. You may be
content with blissful ignorance at the push of a button, but that's
your choice. I prefer to know what I'm dealing with.

Rod.

Old September 23rd 13, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

[...]

I've got all the info - somewhere - but it was a pain in the arse trying
to find it all.

How will you connect any other devices that
haven't got WPS buttons?

It wasn't the device (the printer) - it was the router that had the button.
And I used it. End of.

My network includes a wireless router, three bridges, four computers
(two of them dual-boot), a smartphone, a network printer, three
network disk drives and an internet radio. I have notes of all the
login names, security codes, passwords and IP addresses and can access
the setup pages of any device from any computer. If any visiting
friend or relative has a smartphone or laptop, I can get them
connected in minutes without touching anything of mine. You may be
content with blissful ignorance at the push of a button, but that's
your choice. I prefer to know what I'm dealing with.

Well, all I have is a router, a desktop (connected via ethernet), an
iPad and a printer - that's all.
The iPad connected all by itself. It was just the printer that connected
via a push on the WPS button.

Not really a problem for me.