Using Talk Talk HG523a as a Wireless Bridge

Old September 23rd 13, 06:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

Default Using Talk Talk HG523a as a Wireless Bridge

Hi All,

I've been struggling to set up the router that Talk Talk have supplied me
with as a bridge - anyone got any tips or experience of doing this? I'm
using an O2 router as the main router and am intending to connect a PC and
printer to the bridge.

I've looked at the Talk Talk forum pages and couldn't find anything
useful.....

Thanks

Old September 23rd 13, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:57:35 +0100
"Endulini" wrote:

Hi All,

I've been struggling to set up the router that Talk Talk have
supplied me with as a bridge - anyone got any tips or experience of
doing this? I'm using an O2 router as the main router and am
intending to connect a PC and printer to the bridge.

Without being told more about the particular router there's probably not
much useful to be said. Wireless bridging isn't a standard function,
ISP-provided routers are usually quite limited in their capabilities.

Old September 23rd 13, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

"Endulini" wrote:

Hi All,

I've been struggling to set up the router that Talk Talk have
supplied me with as a bridge - anyone got any tips or experience of
doing this? I'm using an O2 router as the main router and am
intending to connect a PC and printer to the bridge.

Without being told more about the particular router there's probably not
much useful to be said. Wireless bridging isn't a standard function,
ISP-provided routers are usually quite limited in their capabilities.

It's a Huawei HG523a. It has a bridging option but it doesn't appear to as
simple as just selecting this. I've matched all the network details, set a
local IP within the DHCP range of the main router and set the sub-net mask
but there's still something missing.....

Old September 24th 13, 11:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

"Endulini" wrote:

Hi All,

I've been struggling to set up the router that Talk Talk have
supplied me with as a bridge - anyone got any tips or experience of
doing this? I'm using an O2 router as the main router and am
intending to connect a PC and printer to the bridge.

It's a Huawei HG523a. It has a bridging option but it doesn't appear
to as simple as just selecting this. I've matched all the network
details, set a local IP within the DHCP range of the main router

That's wrong for a start - manual addresses shouldn't be in a DHCP
range.

and set the sub-net mask but there's still something missing.....

From what I can see the bridge mode in the standard firmware is to
disable the routing function i.e. to use the router as a simple modem,
and not wireless bridging.
Google won't tell me what chipset it uses, so I can't tell if it's
supported by any custom firmware.

Old September 24th 13, 11:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

news:[email protected]
"Endulini" wrote:

Hi All,

I've been struggling to set up the router that Talk Talk have
supplied me with as a bridge - anyone got any tips or experience of
doing this? I'm using an O2 router as the main router and am
intending to connect a PC and printer to the bridge.

It's a Huawei HG523a. It has a bridging option but it doesn't appear
to as simple as just selecting this. I've matched all the network
details, set a local IP within the DHCP range of the main router

That's wrong for a start - manual addresses shouldn't be in a DHCP
range.

Sorry, it was the end of a long day............ the local IP wasn't within
the DHCP range. But thanks for your comments.

Old May 3rd 14, 08:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Hi I got same problem did u manage to resolve this. Mines working as a switch buy not thoroug the wireless
Old July 7th 14, 09:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

wrote in message

Hi I got same problem did u manage to resolve this. Mines working as a
switch buy not thoroug the wireless

Unfortunately no, I didn't get it to work. If you get yours to work I'd be
interested in how......

Old January 18th 15, 09:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

If its like the HG533 (which I assume it is) then its a bit of a pain but do-able.
192.168.1.1
User admin
Pass admin
Click Advanced (then yes)
Click Basic-WAN
Change the second entry (nas_0_38): connection type 'bridge' now tick internet, lan1, lan2, SSID1 and any other SSIDs you use.
Click submit. Wait a few seconds and then I'd advise rebooting the router.

DHCP relay is also possible but I cannot remember the steps for now.