WOL not working consistently

Old September 25th 13, 12:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

Default WOL not working consistently

Hi,

I've been trying to set up WOL on a Windows 8 system and am confident that
it's configured ok as I can confirm that the Magic Packets are getting
through and are recognised both through the internal LAN and over the
Internet (using a combination of Magic Packet software and TeamViewer). The
problem comes when I shut the system down or set it to sleep or hibernate.
Whilst I can wake it remotely for the first 20 minutes or so after this it
doesn't respond at all. I've disabled hybrid shut-down and have read that
WOL isn't supposedly supported in shut-down or sleep but even putting it in
hibernate doesn't help. It's set up with dynamic DNS so I'm also confident
that it's not due to the IP changing.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Old September 25th 13, 02:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 23:22:42 +0100
"Endulini" wrote:

Hi,

I've been trying to set up WOL on a Windows 8 system and am confident
that it's configured ok as I can confirm that the Magic Packets are
getting through and are recognised both through the internal LAN and
over the Internet (using a combination of Magic Packet software and
TeamViewer). The problem comes when I shut the system down or set it
to sleep or hibernate. Whilst I can wake it remotely for the first 20
minutes or so after this it doesn't respond at all.

Is the PSU maintaining standby power for the network port?

I've disabled
hybrid shut-down and have read that WOL isn't supposedly supported in
shut-down or sleep but even putting it in hibernate doesn't help.
It's set up with dynamic DNS so I'm also confident that it's not due
to the IP changing.

Have you checked the correct options in the network card's Power
Management settings?

Old September 25th 13, 06:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

"Endulini" wrote:

Hi,

I've been trying to set up WOL on a Windows 8 system and am confident
that it's configured ok as I can confirm that the Magic Packets are
getting through and are recognised both through the internal LAN and
over the Internet (using a combination of Magic Packet software and
TeamViewer). The problem comes when I shut the system down or set it
to sleep or hibernate. Whilst I can wake it remotely for the first 20
minutes or so after this it doesn't respond at all.

Is the PSU maintaining standby power for the network port?

The green light is on when the computer is off so presumably yes it is
..
I've disabled
hybrid shut-down and have read that WOL isn't supposedly supported in
shut-down or sleep but even putting it in hibernate doesn't help.
It's set up with dynamic DNS so I'm also confident that it's not due
to the IP changing.

Have you checked the correct options in the network card's Power

Management settings?

"Allow this device to wake the computer" is selected
"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is selected (is
that right?)
"Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" is selected.

Can't see a problem here - is there anything in Power Management might
inhibit it?

Old September 25th 13, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:42:12 UTC, "Endulini"
wrote:

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is selected (is
that right?)

Wouldn't think so. If it's been turned off to save power how is it
going to wake up except by re-application of power? It ain't goning to
see any signal on the wire.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old September 25th 13, 10:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:42:12 +0100
news:[email protected]
"Endulini" wrote:

I've been trying to set up WOL on a Windows 8 system and am
confident that it's configured ok as I can confirm that the Magic
Packets are getting through and are recognised both through the
internal LAN and over the Internet (using a combination of Magic
Packet software and TeamViewer). The problem comes when I shut the
system down or set it to sleep or hibernate. Whilst I can wake it
remotely for the first 20 minutes or so after this it doesn't
respond at all.

Is the PSU maintaining standby power for the network port?

The green light is on when the computer is off so presumably yes it is
.

If it's on even when the machine doesn't respond then that doesn't seem
to be the problem.

Have you checked the correct options in the network card's Power

Management settings?

"Allow this device to wake the computer" is selected
"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is
selected (is that right?)

I'd be inclined to switch that one off, but I'm only guessing and I
don't have a Windows 8 machine to play with.

Old September 28th 13, 12:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 24/09/2013 23:22, Endulini wrote:
Hi,

I've been trying to set up WOL on a Windows 8 system and am confident
that it's configured ok as I can confirm that the Magic Packets are
getting through and are recognised both through the internal LAN and
over the Internet (using a combination of Magic Packet software and
TeamViewer). The problem comes when I shut the system down or set it to
sleep or hibernate. Whilst I can wake it remotely for the first 20
minutes or so after this it doesn't respond at all. I've disabled hybrid
shut-down and have read that WOL isn't supposedly supported in shut-down
or sleep but even putting it in hibernate doesn't help. It's set up with
dynamic DNS so I'm also confident that it's not due to the IP changing.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

In the router's configuration, as well as the port forwarding you may
have done, You might need to _statically_ assign the MAC address of the
PC's network card to the IP address used for it. This normally has to be
done in CLI, overturning the dynamic assign which is forgotton a time
after the PC powers off.

Which router?

--
Adrian C

Old September 28th 13, 12:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 27/09/2013 23:38, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

Ah, see here.

http://talktalkmembers.com/t5/Unlimi...ms/td-p/852729

--
Adrian C

Old September 28th 13, 11:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

It's a Thomson TG587n v2 i.e. an O2 router (I know I've also posted a
question about a TalkTalk router but that's a different story.....)

Old September 29th 13, 08:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 28/09/2013 22:19, Endulini wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message

In the router's configuration, as well as the port forwarding you may
have done, You might need to _statically_ assign the MAC address of
the PC's network card to the IP address used for it. This normally has
to be done in CLI, overturning the dynamic assign which is forgotton a
time after the PC powers off.

Which router?

--
Adrian C

It's a Thomson TG587n v2 i.e. an O2 router (I know I've also posted a
question about a TalkTalk router but that's a different story.....)

Here ya go.

http://npr.me.uk/wol.html

--
Adrian C

Old October 2nd 13, 12:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

"Adrian C" wrote in message

In the router's configuration, as well as the port forwarding you may
have done, You might need to _statically_ assign the MAC address of
the PC's network card to the IP address used for it. This normally has
to be done in CLI, overturning the dynamic assign which is forgotton a
time after the PC powers off.

Which router?

--
Adrian C

It's a Thomson TG587n v2 i.e. an O2 router (I know I've also posted a
question about a TalkTalk router but that's a different story.....)

Here ya go.

http://npr.me.uk/wol.html

--
Adrian C

Cheers Adrian. I've seen this and used it to successfully set my router to
forward on the packets and I can see that the packets are getting through
even from the internet. What is happening though is that after the computer
has been 'asleep', powered down or 'hibernating' for longer than around 20
minutes it doesn't reboot when the magic packet is sent. It's like it's only
dozing initially and then something further powers off after 20 minutes and
stops it from rebooting.....