port 25 attempts from 177.223.136 network

Old September 27th 13, 09:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Default port 25 attempts from 177.223.136 network

Hi; my private mail server has been receiving a lot - running into the
thousands - of access attempts from 177.223.136.xxx over the past week
or so, which appears to be a Brazilian outfit. Before I firewalled the
stuff, I saw the mail was always from assorted domains containing the
string 'mailtrack' or 'trackmail', none of which existed, so it was
never going to be let through.

They're firewalled out now, but nevertheless filling the firewall logs
which is a pain. They seem to start and stop a bit, but the overall
quantity seems to be increasing.

Anyone else seen this?

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old September 27th 13, 01:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

On 2013-09-27, Mike Scott wrote:
Hi; my private mail server has been receiving a lot - running into the
thousands - of access attempts from 177.223.136.xxx over the past week
or so, which appears to be a Brazilian outfit. Before I firewalled the
stuff, I saw the mail was always from assorted domains containing the
string 'mailtrack' or 'trackmail', none of which existed, so it was
never going to be let through.

They're firewalled out now, but nevertheless filling the firewall logs
which is a pain. They seem to start and stop a bit, but the overall
quantity seems to be increasing.

Anyone else seen this?

Nope (two VM's on a French subnet, 1 VM on a US subnet).

--
Tony Evans
Seeking archives for uk.* from 1998 and older. Especially interested