Smallest device with a browser and USB or RS232

Old September 30th 13, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Smallest device with a browser and USB or RS232

I am looking for the most compact way of doing this

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/...s/7100-901.jpg

That is a Thuraya 7100 satellite phone.

The browser can be quite primitive - it will be going only to one
website (on which I control the code) displaying simple data.

I think one of the old Pocket/PC PDAs would do it. Some of them (the
Ipaq?) did have RS232 adapters.
Old September 30th 13, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

The phone is a cheap 300 Thuraya satellite phone, with an RS232
interface. There are USB-232 cables, such as the one in the above pic.

I think one of the old Pocket/PC PDAs would do it. Some of them (the
Ipaq?) did have RS232 adapters.

The gotcha is that the device needs to do Dial Up Networking (DUN)
which rules out all IOS and Android stuff. Basically you need
something that runs some version of Windows. But I don't know if
Pocket/PC ever supported DUN. It may have done, since DUN was the only
way to get internet access in those days.
Old September 30th 13, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 30/09/2013 07:42, Peter wrote:
The phone is a cheap 300 Thuraya satellite phone, with an RS232
interface. There are USB-232 cables, such as the one in the above pic.

I think one of the old Pocket/PC PDAs would do it. Some of them (the
Ipaq?) did have RS232 adapters.

The gotcha is that the device needs to do Dial Up Networking (DUN)
which rules out all IOS and Android stuff. Basically you need
something that runs some version of Windows. But I don't know if
Pocket/PC ever supported DUN. It may have done, since DUN was the only
way to get internet access in those days.

Might an IrDA-to-RS232 adapter give you additional options, if you can
find a device with a dial-up PPP stack (an old PDA maybe?) that could be
hacked to use it?

Old September 30th 13, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 06:14:52 UTC, Peter
wrote:

I am looking for the most compact way of doing this

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/...s/7100-901.jpg

That is a Thuraya 7100 satellite phone.

The browser can be quite primitive - it will be going only to one
website (on which I control the code) displaying simple data.

I think one of the old Pocket/PC PDAs would do it. Some of them (the
Ipaq?) did have RS232 adapters.

Raspberry Pi? Full Linux and USB.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old September 30th 13, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

wrote:

I am looking for the most compact way of doing this

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/...s/7100-901.jpg

That is a Thuraya 7100 satellite phone.

The browser can be quite primitive - it will be going only to one
website (on which I control the code) displaying simple data.

I think one of the old Pocket/PC PDAs would do it. Some of them (the
Ipaq?) did have RS232 adapters.

Raspberry Pi? Full Linux and USB.

Ooops - Sorry - You need a display device don't you.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old September 30th 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 07:42:36 +0100, Peter
wrote:

The phone is a cheap 300 Thuraya satellite phone, with an RS232
interface. There are USB-232 cables, such as the one in the above pic.

I think one of the old Pocket/PC PDAs would do it. Some of them (the
Ipaq?) did have RS232 adapters.

The gotcha is that the device needs to do Dial Up Networking (DUN)
which rules out all IOS and Android stuff. Basically you need
something that runs some version of Windows. But I don't know if
Pocket/PC ever supported DUN. It may have done, since DUN was the only
way to get internet access in those days.

Psion Series 5?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_5

In particular the 5mx.

A reasonable number on Ebay although some seem a bit overpriced to my
mind. However, there are modestly priced ones you could purchase for
trialing purposes. Only question mark may be durability given what may
be implied by the use of a satellite phone.

Chris S
Old September 30th 13, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin C

On 2013-09-30, Chris S wrote:
In particular the 5mx.

A reasonable number on Ebay although some seem a bit overpriced to my
mind.

Overpriced? Looks like time to sell mine then! Thanks for
mentioning.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Old September 30th 13, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 30/09/2013 07:42, Peter wrote:
The phone is a cheap 300 Thuraya satellite phone, with an RS232
interface. There are USB-232 cables, such as the one in the above pic.

I think one of the old Pocket/PC PDAs would do it. Some of them (the
Ipaq?) did have RS232 adapters.

The gotcha is that the device needs to do Dial Up Networking (DUN)
which rules out all IOS and Android stuff.

Dial up networking was implemention of PPP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-point_protocol

This may work on an Android tablet with a USB host port.

http://www.draisberghof.de/android/pppwidget.html

--
Adrian C

Old October 1st 13, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 17:47:16 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Would the 5mx display any graphics at all?

Graphical-subsystem
Display-Type: backlit monochrome STN display
Display+Color-Depth: 4 bit/pixel (16 scales)
Display;Diagonal: 5.6 " (142 millimetres)
Display_Resolution: 640 x 240 (153600 pixels)
Viewableisplay+Size: 5.23 " x 1.96 " (132.96 x 49.86 millimetres)
Pixel-densitydotitch): 122.3 pixel/inch (0.20775
millimetre/pixel)

From Detailed Technical Datasheet of Psion Series 5mx
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...ion_series_5mx
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/q5eskwr

and here's a review from 1999 :-)
http://the-gadgeteer.com/1999/08/29/...es_5mx_review/
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c5uxsp

These may give you at least a flavour of the graphics capabilities:

Psion Series 5mx Boot-up and EPOC32 presentation [HD/720p]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5jQii9D1A

Psion 5 Review Video (2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0iZHB_vYAM

Chris S