Sky or BT dilema

Old October 3rd 13, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

Default Sky or BT dilema

I have been with o2 Broadband for about five years with the Home
Broadband Premium unlimited package. In March when I told them I was
thinking of switching they offered me a free year so that they could
sell me to Sky.
I have my phone with BT and pay my rental annually in advance (November)
and have the Anytime calls package.
I don't want a TV option nor the speed of fibre, While there are some
good initial offers I want a company that I will stay with long term and
offers good value beyond that. I was with BT for about three years and
at that time was very dissatisfied with but they may have improved.
Who do you use and why?

--
Derek.
Old October 3rd 13, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 03/10/13 21:19, Derek F wrote:
I have been with o2 Broadband for about five years with the Home
Broadband Premium unlimited package. In March when I told them I was
thinking of switching they offered me a free year so that they could
sell me to Sky.
I have my phone with BT and pay my rental annually in advance (November)
and have the Anytime calls package.
I don't want a TV option nor the speed of fibre, While there are some
good initial offers I want a company that I will stay with long term and
offers good value beyond that. I was with BT for about three years and
at that time was very dissatisfied with but they may have improved.
Who do you use and why?

Me? IDNET
- Static IP address - essential
- Phone rental is low. we hardly make any calls.
- I get a lot of bandwidth and just get a bit more tacked on the bill if
I overstep the limit. Thats important - I was with claranet and they
just cut me off until I grabbed a credit card and gave them more money.
- First class support from UK based call center.
- No throttling ever and almost no backhaul limitations. I generally get
the speed of the copper for all sites.

Not cheap. If you want cheap go somewhere else.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old October 4th 13, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 03/10/2013 21:19, Derek F wrote:
I have been with o2 Broadband for about five years with the Home
Broadband Premium unlimited package. In March when I told them I was
thinking of switching they offered me a free year so that they could
sell me to Sky.
I have my phone with BT and pay my rental annually in advance (November)
and have the Anytime calls package.
I don't want a TV option nor the speed of fibre, While there are some
good initial offers I want a company that I will stay with long term and
offers good value beyond that. I was with BT for about three years and
at that time was very dissatisfied with but they may have improved.
Who do you use and why?

Plusnet
- really good value
- great reliability (I've not had a single outage)
- great service
- can get phone + broadband bundles (incl. free minutes to abroad)
- Been with them for several years, now. No complaints.
Old October 4th 13, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 04/10/2013 10:22, chris wrote:
[...]

Me too - I've had Plusnet broadband for years, after leaving BT when
they introduced their Indian call centre. I stayed with BT for phone
service but yesterday I changed that over to Plusnet following the BT
price increase announcement.
Apart from the price increase, one of the other reasons I've left BT was
a billing issue. They increased my monthly direct debit to pay off a
bill for engineering work and then, when they'd recovered the money,
didn't put it back down again. I had to get through to Bangalore and
explain the situation, which took over an hour from start to finish,
before they agreed to reduce the DD back to its normal level and credit
my account for the extra money they had taken.

Old October 4th 13, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On 04/10/2013 11:48, George Weston wrote:
[...]

I am no fan of BT, and plan to change my line to Zen (my ISP) now that
BT are increasing their prices, but I will say that earlier problems
with BT billing, such as non-credit of money owed to me, were eventually
sorted, and eventually such issues disappeared, ie money was credited
when it was due.
But they are still pricing themselves out of the market.

--
Davey.
Old October 4th 13, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

[...]

I should have added that Sky are offering my broadband at £7.50 a month
for the first year. They are mistakenly saying is from December/January
when they would move me. My deal with o2 was a year at £0.00 from 23/03/12

--
Derek.
Old October 4th 13, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

[...]

My main gripe with BT was the Indian Call centre and the faulty phone
that came with my Home Hub that they prevaricated so long about
replacing that they then said was out of warranty.
When we moved to this house we were getting very slow speeds that they
tried to evade responsibility for. Eventually it was found to be a
faulty PCB in the the exchange.

--
Derek.
Old October 4th 13, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Derek F wrote:
On 04/10/2013 10:22, chris wrote:
On 03/10/2013 21:19, Derek F wrote:
I have been with o2 Broadband for about five years with the Home

[snip]
I should have added that Sky are offering my broadband at £7.50 a month
for the first year. They are mistakenly saying is from December/January
when they would move me. My deal with o2 was a year at £0.00 from 23/03/12

I moved from Be early to Sky. I got free Sky TV for a year as an
enticement, which worked as I needed a new aerial or similar anyway.

The service has generally been good. I'm getting better downstream than
I did with Be, once the line settled down. Upstream is not so good as
Sky has fixed profiles and so I'm stuck with an upstream sync of 799k
when the Be router happily supported just over 1000.
Yesterday I got an unprompted call asking if I would like them to reduce
my margin on the downstream to squeeze a little more but I was happy to
leave it nicely stable.

The other niggle is that 0845 numbers cost money. On the upside calls to
Switzerland are inclusive.

Old October 4th 13, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

On 04/10/2013 17:08, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
Derek F wrote:
[...]

They were about to make a TV offer but I told them that I don't watch
that much TV and my wife can't cope with what she is recording
already.When I looked the other day she had a backlog of twenty eight
programmes to watch on the PVR.
Why are BE still coming up as an option when I look at providers?
I asked whether users can keep their o2 E-Mail addresses but that is not
a option.

--
Derek.
Old October 4th 13, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fredxx

[...]

An issue I have is that I make a lot of 0845 calls. With BT they're
free, or should I say included in the anytime package.

What's the situation re Plusnet?