Plusnet

Old October 6th 13, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

Default Plusnet

Recently transferred from Tesco (aka Cable and Wireless) to Plusnet,
because Tesco wouldn't migrate my broadband and phone to a new address -
they would only do a cease and reprovide with a new phone number,
whereas Plusnet allowed me to switch, keeping my number.

Plusnet's unlimited broadband on special offer seemed like a good deal,
and it generally gets good reviews. Switchover was painless and I've
been up and running for a week or so, syncing at 16.256 Mbps, similar to
what I was getting with TalkTalk and Tesco.

A bit disappointed though with what appears to be aggressive traffic
management. I have a script which kicks off about 30 websites in
Firefox, a mixture of news, tech news, cartoons, etc. which I look at
every day while drinking my morning coffee. With previous ISPs (NewNet,
Tiscali, TalkTalk, Tesco), Firefox has completely and consistently
loaded every page in full without issue. With Plusnet, I frequently get
one or more 'missing graphic' boxes (empty box with a red X in the
corner), particularly on webpages that are graphics-heavy. Hitting f5
to refresh usually brings them all up.

Changing the DNS servers configured on the PC from the router to
Plusnet's own servers improved things a little.

The router is configured to use an MTU of 1400 on the WAN side, suppose
I should try 1458.

Further possible evidence of traffic managemwnt - with previous ISPs I
used to be able to reliably max out the connection at 1.5MBps with
downloads*, Plusnet seems to limit this to ~0.6MBps.

Any thoughts?

* legitimate downloads, e.g. Linux ISOs from mirrorservice.org

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old October 6th 13, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

On 06/10/2013 08:40, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

[...]

You would be better asking in the Plusnet forums.

--
Peter Crosland
Old October 6th 13, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
moansalot2

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message ...

[...]

Transfered back to plusnet from BE when it the Murdoch way of SKY

I've not had any issues of traffic shaping though they definitely had that
problem a number of years ago - which is why i moved away from them in
first place.

re d/l speeds Plusnet default is circa 0.6mb as you have noticed versus the
1.1mb I used to be able to get from BE - however if you raise a ticket
Plusnet will amend the line profile I'm now consistently getting 1mb d/l -
they don't publicise that facility. It took about 3-4 days for it to be
implemented

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Old October 6th 13, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 213 + on desktop

"moansalot2" wrote in message

[...]

Post any queries you have in plusnet.service.customer-feedback accessed
through the news.plus.net server. They're pretty good at answering
queries, offering advice and some of the Plusnet Support Team monitor
the group as well and can come up with all sorts of good advice and
actions.
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 213+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old October 6th 13, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 213 + on desktop

"Flyig u 213 + on desktop" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I should have added you could also get in touch with them online at
http://contactus.plus.net thropugh their support on www.plus.net or by
phone (24/7) on 0800 432 0200 if you need assistance.

Old October 6th 13, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Recently transferred from Tesco (aka Cable and Wireless) to Plusnet,

A bit disappointed though with what appears to be aggressive traffic
management.

Any thoughts?

Pay an extra fiver/month for the "pro" add-on, that'll remove (almost)
all of the packet shaping.

Old October 6th 13, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

On 06/10/2013 12:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Recently transferred from Tesco (aka Cable and Wireless) to Plusnet,

A bit disappointed though with what appears to be aggressive traffic
management.

Any thoughts?

Pay an extra fiver/month for the "pro" add-on, that'll remove (almost)
all of the packet shaping.

AFAIK this is not needed on the Unlimited package as there is no shaping.

--
Peter Crosland
Old October 6th 13, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Recently transferred from Tesco (aka Cable and Wireless) to Plusnet,

A bit disappointed though with what appears to be aggressive traffic
management.

Any thoughts?

Pay an extra fiver/month for the "pro" add-on, that'll remove (almost)
all of the packet shaping.

I think you'll find that option is dead now.
It's either Unlimited or Essentials.
I went from Pro to Unlimited when they brought it in - cheaper and no
traffic shaping as far as I'm aware.
Old October 6th 13, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

George Weston wrote:

On 06/10/2013 12:20, Andy Burns wrote:

Pay an extra fiver/month for the "pro" add-on

I think you'll find that option is dead now.
It's either Unlimited or Essentials.

I'm on unlimited with pro add-on

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml#newsup

It does upgrade a few types of traffic from gold-titanium,
goldplated-gold, bronze-gold, silver-titanium.

Whether I get 5 worth of benefit, probably not.

Old October 6th 13, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

On 06/10/2013 15:40, Andy Burns wrote:
George Weston wrote:

On 06/10/2013 12:20, Andy Burns wrote:

Pay an extra fiver/month for the "pro" add-on

I think you'll find that option is dead now.
It's either Unlimited or Essentials.

I'm on unlimited with pro add-on

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml#newsup

It does upgrade a few types of traffic from gold-titanium,
goldplated-gold, bronze-gold, silver-titanium.

Whether I get 5 worth of benefit, probably not.

You might like to check with Plusnet. As far as I know the Pro add-on is
obsolete and you should not be paying for it. Certainly I don't.

--
Peter Crosland