BT line AC Balance?

Old October 7th 13, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default BT line AC Balance?

The saga of my FTTC connection speed is still dragging on (see FTTC
speeds 18/08).

The latest BTOR engineer spent a couple of hours here today and
carried out similar tests to those performed during previous visits.

Whilst he confirmed that virtually all of the tests gave a good
'green' result he was concerned that the 'AC balance' produced an
'amber' reading of 51 whereas it should be 60. This is apparently
something to do with 'line balance'. Does anyone know any more about
this and its implications?
--
rbel
Old October 7th 13, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 07/10/13 18:26, rbel wrote:

The saga of my FTTC connection speed is still dragging on (see FTTC
speeds 18/08).

The latest BTOR engineer spent a couple of hours here today and
carried out similar tests to those performed during previous visits.

Whilst he confirmed that virtually all of the tests gave a good
'green' result he was concerned that the 'AC balance' produced an
'amber' reading of 51 whereas it should be 60. This is apparently
something to do with 'line balance'. Does anyone know any more about
this and its implications?

sunds like common mode rejection ratio, probably in dB, which is how
good the line is at rejecting interference from 'far field'

I'd expect a poor line to end up with poor night time performance
(MW/LW) and a high SNR ratio/low speed.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old October 7th 13, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"rbel" wrote in message ...

The saga of my FTTC connection speed is still dragging on (see FTTC
speeds 18/08).

The latest BTOR engineer spent a couple of hours here today and
carried out similar tests to those performed during previous visits.

Whilst he confirmed that virtually all of the tests gave a good
'green' result he was concerned that the 'AC balance' produced an
'amber' reading of 51 whereas it should be 60. This is apparently
something to do with 'line balance'. Does anyone know any more about
this and its implications?

You've probably got a iffy connector somewhere in the link between your FTTC
cab and yourself.

A bugger to find if everything else is green

Old October 7th 13, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 19:45:23 +0100, kraftéé
wrote:

"rbel" wrote in message ...

The saga of my FTTC connection speed is still dragging on (see FTTC
speeds 18/08).

The latest BTOR engineer spent a couple of hours here today and
carried out similar tests to those performed during previous visits.

Whilst he confirmed that virtually all of the tests gave a good
'green' result he was concerned that the 'AC balance' produced an
'amber' reading of 51 whereas it should be 60. This is apparently
something to do with 'line balance'. Does anyone know any more about
this and its implications?

You've probably got a iffy connector somewhere in the link between your FTTC
cab and yourself.

A bugger to find if everything else is green

The BTOR engineer thought that it could be between the NTE5 in my
property and the first junction box in the road but for some reason he
wanted someone else to look at it. If the problem is in this run of
wiring I imagine that it can be repaired/replaced.

Is this type of fault and indicated extent of an actual 51 compared to
the required 60+ likely to have a significant impact on the speed?
--
rbel
Old October 8th 13, 07:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hough

wrote:

The BTOR engineer thought that it could be between the NTE5 in my
property and the first junction box in the road but for some reason he
wanted someone else to look at it. If the problem is in this run of
wiring I imagine that it can be repaired/replaced.

They have different people responsible for different bits of the kit. He's
probably not qualified to climb poles or dig holes, either of which might be
needed for fixing external plant.

Dave

Old October 8th 13, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"David Hough" wrote in message
news
wrote:

The BTOR engineer thought that it could be between the NTE5 in my
property and the first junction box in the road but for some reason he
wanted someone else to look at it. If the problem is in this run of
wiring I imagine that it can be repaired/replaced.

They have different people responsible for different bits of the kit. He's
probably not qualified to climb poles or dig holes, either of which might
be
needed for fixing external plant.

None of the field crew are allowed to dig holes any more, all goes out to
contract as for climbing poles...with the pole test schedule so far behind
it's getting to be a hoist permanently required, but that's only if the
field person has been trained to operate it as well. But seriously I think
you may be correct, the OR person most probably hasn't had any basic
training in going into UG structures so would be unable to do so, but he
should have called for a UG trained assist so that they could work together
to fix the problem.

Old October 8th 13, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:

[...]

In an ideal world of course.

Old October 9th 13, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

kraftéé wrote:

None of the field crew are allowed to dig holes any more, all goes out
to contract as for climbing poles...with the pole test schedule so far
behind it's getting to be a hoist permanently required, but that's only
if the field person has been trained to operate it as well.

Yes, tell me about it !! My folks had a noisy line recently, the first BT-OR
guy came, and with his test kit indentified there was an HR fault on the line.
Their line comes in overhead. However the chap didn't check either
the junction box on their eaves, nor climbed any of the poles along the road.
All he did was visit the cabinet about 400 yds away, and remake a connection
there. He proclaimed that was where the problem was. That night the noise
returned, my folks (well me actually) reopened the fault, and a week later
another chap came. He ran some tests, and said the problem was most probably
on the pole outside their property. He made a phone call, and 20 mins later a
cherry picker arrived ! Up he went, and quelle surprise, the joint on top
of the pole had almost totally corroded away. Problem fixed. Only took another
three weeks for BT's crappy DLM system to increase their ADSL sync speed from
a meg, back to their usual 15 Mb/s

--
Mark
Old October 9th 13, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
kraftéé wrote:

[...]

3 Weeks......

You should have raised another fault (honest).

Old October 9th 13, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

kraftéé wrote:

[...]

THis is odd, because every time an engineer 'fixed' my lines, they
reset the noise margin explicily and my ISP will also do this (request
that BT do it) any time I ask, usaully within 2 hours.