Modem/Router

Old October 10th 13, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default Modem/Router

I have had a Billion and a Netgear router die on me in the last couple of
months. The Netgear went last might while I was trying to add a MAC
address it didn't like.

Is there anything I could be doing to break them or is it probably
coincidence?

Any suggestions for a robust replacement? I need ADSL2+ and wireless plus
the ability to filter MAC addresses.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Old October 10th 13, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 10/10/2013 08:42, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I have had a Billion and a Netgear router die on me in the last couple
of months. The Netgear went last might while I was trying to add a MAC
address it didn't like.

Is there anything I could be doing to break them or is it probably
coincidence?

Bad luck! They are built down to a price. I have had Netgear ADSL
Routers fail by no longer working with wired ethernet. A quick internet
search revealed this was a well known common mode of failure.

How dead is dead? You might be able to force a reflash of the firmware.

Any suggestions for a robust replacement? I need ADSL2+ and wireless
plus the ability to filter MAC addresses.

These days I am inclined to treat them as consumables. They can be
killed by lightning strikes so having a spare is no bad thing.

Probably worth getting one that supports IPv6 now. Worth checking that
any suggestions will work with your local kit. I have found that HP
laptops and Apple gear tend to be a bit fussy about some chipsets.

Sometimes you can adjust one to work as a WiFi repeater even when the
ADSL component is shot. But you are stuffed if it has trashed its own
firmware though. An astonishing number seem to do every minor tweak or
alteration to settings by applying a sledgehammer to their EEPROM.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 10th 13, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 10 Oct 2013 07:42:18 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

I have had a Billion and a Netgear router die on me in the last couple of
months. The Netgear went last might while I was trying to add a MAC
address it didn't like.

What exactly did they do?

Is there anything I could be doing to break them or is it probably
coincidence?

It could be coincidence. Or maybe a bad PSU. Any thunderstorms in
the area?

Any suggestions for a robust replacement? I need ADSL2+ and wireless plus
the ability to filter MAC addresses.

Zyxel make decent routers. Although I've not had any completely fail
except when the phone line was hit by lightening.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old October 10th 13, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:37:18 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I have had a Billion and a Netgear router die on me in the last couple
of months. The Netgear went last might while I was trying to add a MAC
address it didn't like.

Is there anything I could be doing to break them or is it probably
coincidence?

Bad luck! They are built down to a price. I have had Netgear ADSL
Routers fail by no longer working with wired ethernet. A quick internet
search revealed this was a well known common mode of failure.

That's a strange reason for a router to fail. Is there a known cause?
Is the failure permanent? Until recently I was using a Netgear DG834n
with no ethernet connections, and it would occasionally lock up with a
red power light (normally green), a state from which it could only be
released by leaving it switched off for some time. A few minutes
wouldn't be enough, so I'd usually either swap it with a spare for a
few hours or if it was late I'd leave it overnight and go to bed. I
wonder if some people have encountered this and just binned the router
assuming the fault was permanent?

In my case it didn't happen very frequently - incidents were months
apart - so I just learnt to live with it, pending replacement with
whatever would be needed for FTTC. I'm now using the customised
Technicolor router recommended and supplied by Zen (which also works
with ADSL), and although there isn't much to tweak, I haven't needed
to. I'm delighted that wireless connections are solid and the internet
now runs at three times the speed.

Rod.
Old October 10th 13, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

wrote:

I have had a Billion and a Netgear router die on me in the last couple
of months. The Netgear went last might while I was trying to add a MAC
address it didn't like.

Is there anything I could be doing to break them or is it probably
coincidence?

Bad luck! They are built down to a price. I have had Netgear ADSL
Routers fail by no longer working with wired ethernet. A quick internet
search revealed this was a well known common mode of failure.

That's a strange reason for a router to fail. Is there a known cause?
Is the failure permanent? Until recently I was using a Netgear DG834n

Yes. It will work if you force manual 10M operation. WiFi is fine and it
can be repurposed for anything not needing fast wired operation.

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-in...ding-5593.html

Thread describing the problem as someone else encountered it. I don't
know which other models were affected by this.

with no ethernet connections, and it would occasionally lock up with a
red power light (normally green), a state from which it could only be
released by leaving it switched off for some time. A few minutes
wouldn't be enough, so I'd usually either swap it with a spare for a
few hours or if it was late I'd leave it overnight and go to bed. I
wonder if some people have encountered this and just binned the router
assuming the fault was permanent?

Quite a few older ones have memory leaks and if left on continuously for
weeks or months become slower and slower or ultimately erratic.

In my case it didn't happen very frequently - incidents were months
apart - so I just learnt to live with it, pending replacement with
whatever would be needed for FTTC. I'm now using the customised
Technicolor router recommended and supplied by Zen (which also works
with ADSL), and although there isn't much to tweak, I haven't needed
to. I'm delighted that wireless connections are solid and the internet
now runs at three times the speed.

Rod.

In theory our village now has FTTC despite no cabinet - unfortunately
the virtual cabinet is too far away for me to benefit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 10th 13, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 10/10/13 09:37, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I reflashed my billion. No dice.

Think it was lightning.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old October 10th 13, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 10/10/13 09:37, Martin Brown wrote:
On 10/10/2013 08:42, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I have had a Billion and a Netgear router die on me in the last couple
of months. The Netgear went last might while I was trying to add a MAC
address it didn't like.

Is there anything I could be doing to break them or is it probably
coincidence?

Bad luck! They are built down to a price. I have had Netgear ADSL
Routers fail by no longer working with wired ethernet. A quick internet
search revealed this was a well known common mode of failure.

I had an ex-sky model with these symptoms - at the time, the suggested
cure was to replace the bulging caps - similar to PC motherboard
problems. It lasted a while, then failed again!

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old October 10th 13, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:43:23 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Bad luck! They are built down to a price. I have had Netgear ADSL
Routers fail by no longer working with wired ethernet. A quick internet
search revealed this was a well known common mode of failure.

That's a strange reason for a router to fail. Is there a known cause?
Is the failure permanent? Until recently I was using a Netgear DG834n

Yes. It will work if you force manual 10M operation. WiFi is fine and it
can be repurposed for anything not needing fast wired operation.

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-in...ding-5593.html

Thread describing the problem as someone else encountered it. I don't
know which other models were affected by this.

I seem to have misunderstood the failure mode you described as "router
failed as a result of working without wired ethernet" in other words
without anything plugged into any ethernet port, rather than "failed
in such a manner that wired ethernet was not working (with wireless
still working)".

It caught my attention because I had a router which was used without
ethernet connections and did occasionally fail, so if others had
experienced the same it might have proved useful. Oh well, I guess I
should read more carefully.

Rod.
Old October 10th 13, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

wrote:

[...]

It is not uncommon for what the writer writes, from a position of
familiarity with the subject, to not be as crystal clear to a reader
who is new to the particular incident. I am going through this right
now while I try to solve a computer problem, my 'helper' is so expert
that I have trouble following him sometimes, as he does not appreciate
that I am wandering in 'Here be Dragons' territory for me.

--
Davey.
Old October 10th 13, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 07:42:18 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I have had a Billion and a Netgear router die on me in the last couple of
months. The Netgear went last might while I was trying to add a MAC
address it didn't like.

That wouldn't cause the Netgear to die - it's just a badly written piece
of Javascript throwing an error.

"Some models reject any MAC address which doesn't start "00:", some other
models reject any MAC address of the form x1:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx or
1x:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx." to quote from http://www.adsb.co.uk/software/DGTeam/