A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 30th 13, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

As you know Sky bought O2 and Be BB and BB/telephone package users earlier
this year and I'm a Be customer with BB/phone package. I understand that Sky
have started transferring O2 customers first from the O2/Be equipment and
contracts, any O2 customers here that have had the offer and transferred can
tell me what the offer(s) are and have they noticed in change in the BB
service, speed etc.?
Please note I'm not talking about people who cancelled O2 and started as a
new Sky customer.
Thanks
David

  #2  
Old October 30th 13, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 56
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

David wrote:
As you know Sky bought O2 and Be BB and BB/telephone package users
earlier this year and I'm a Be customer with BB/phone package. I
understand that Sky have started transferring O2 customers first from
the O2/Be equipment and contracts, any O2 customers here that have had
the offer and transferred can tell me what the offer(s) are and have
they noticed in change in the BB service, speed etc.?
Please note I'm not talking about people who cancelled O2 and started as
a new Sky customer.
Thanks
David


I jumped early (in July) from Be to Sky.
The most obvious downside was moving to a dynamic IP address but I've
mostly coped, using a dynamic DNS service.

Once DLM has settled down both upstream and downstream speeds were
slower than I had had with Be. I contacted customer service and the
downstream improved but I was still down on upstream.

Since then, I've had recent contact from a Sky engineer who was 'just
checking' my local exchange kit and he had found some "anomalies". He
restarted the DLM after tidying things up and now I have a faster
upstream and downstream than I had with Be and my latency has also gone
down.

In terms of deal, I got the standard phone line and broadband offer at
the time (c. 25/month) and free TV for a year thrown in.

So over all I am satisfied.

  #3  
Old October 31st 13, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.



"Rupert Moss-Eccardt" wrote in message
...

David wrote:
As you know Sky bought O2 and Be BB and BB/telephone package users
earlier this year and I'm a Be customer with BB/phone package. I
understand that Sky have started transferring O2 customers first from
the O2/Be equipment and contracts, any O2 customers here that have had
the offer and transferred can tell me what the offer(s) are and have
they noticed in change in the BB service, speed etc.?
Please note I'm not talking about people who cancelled O2 and started as
a new Sky customer.
Thanks
David


I jumped early (in July) from Be to Sky.
The most obvious downside was moving to a dynamic IP address but I've
mostly coped, using a dynamic DNS service.

Once DLM has settled down both upstream and downstream speeds were
slower than I had had with Be. I contacted customer service and the
downstream improved but I was still down on upstream.

Since then, I've had recent contact from a Sky engineer who was 'just
checking' my local exchange kit and he had found some "anomalies". He
restarted the DLM after tidying things up and now I have a faster
upstream and downstream than I had with Be and my latency has also gone
down.

In terms of deal, I got the standard phone line and broadband offer at
the time (c. 25/month) and free TV for a year thrown in.

So over all I am satisfied.


***

Thanks, that's good to know that in the end you did not loose out on speed.

I have just finished my second year at 12 month broadband was given these
offers to retain me as a long standing customer, I have the package of BB,
line and anytime calls and this should be 30/31 I expect next month as been
22/23 for 2 years now.
So if you have anytime calls then you got a reduction if you are not then
seems Sky about the same for becoming a new Sky customer.

What I'm trying to find out is what Sky offer to those who stick it out up
to transfer time, and some O2 customers have been transferred.

Thanks for your help in saying the BB did not get worse.

Regards
David



  #4  
Old November 7th 13, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 444
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
I jumped early (in July) from Be to Sky.
The most obvious downside was moving to a dynamic IP address but I've
mostly coped, using a dynamic DNS service.


The news I heard (as a BE customer) from a couple of months ago was that
Sky intended to allow BE customers to retain static IP addresses.

Chris
  #5  
Old November 7th 13, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 56
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

Chris Davies wrote:
Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
I jumped early (in July) from Be to Sky.
The most obvious downside was moving to a dynamic IP address but I've
mostly coped, using a dynamic DNS service.


The news I heard (as a BE customer) from a couple of months ago was that
Sky intended to allow BE customers to retain static IP addresses.


Indeed, but the 'intention' was stated in a very vague way and I haven't
seen anything about the final plan.


  #6  
Old November 7th 13, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 291
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:13:58 +0000, Chris Davies wrote:

Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
I jumped early (in July) from Be to Sky.
The most obvious downside was moving to a dynamic IP address but I've
mostly coped, using a dynamic DNS service.


The news I heard (as a BE customer) from a couple of months ago was that
Sky intended to allow BE customers to retain static IP addresses.


Sky apparently intend to offer ex-BE customers a static IP address. But that
static IP wouldn't be the same one as a current BE static IP - if that's
what you meant by "retain".
  #7  
Old November 8th 13, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 444
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:13:58 +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
The news I heard (as a BE customer) from a couple of months ago was that
Sky intended to allow BE customers to retain static IP addresses.


Sky apparently intend to offer ex-BE customers a static IP address.
But that static IP wouldn't be the same one as a current BE static IP -
if that's what you meant by "retain".


I wasn't sure, but I suspected we'd have to migrate to new address space.
Chris
  #8  
Old November 8th 13, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 876
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 22:21:15 +0000, Chris Davies
wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:13:58 +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
The news I heard (as a BE customer) from a couple of months ago was that
Sky intended to allow BE customers to retain static IP addresses.


Sky apparently intend to offer ex-BE customers a static IP address.
But that static IP wouldn't be the same one as a current BE static IP -
if that's what you meant by "retain".


I wasn't sure, but I suspected we'd have to migrate to new address space.
Chris



Connection type, encapsulation, and VCI are presumably going to need
changing at cut-over time. That should keep Sky's support dept. busy.

Does Sky need a username and password?


--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
  #9  
Old November 9th 13, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 56
Default O2 transfers now taking place to Sky.

Graham. wrote:
On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 22:21:15 +0000, Chris Davies
wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:13:58 +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
The news I heard (as a BE customer) from a couple of months ago was that
Sky intended to allow BE customers to retain static IP addresses.


Sky apparently intend to offer ex-BE customers a static IP address.
But that static IP wouldn't be the same one as a current BE static IP -
if that's what you meant by "retain".


I wasn't sure, but I suspected we'd have to migrate to new address space.
Chris



Connection type, encapsulation, and VCI are presumably going to need
changing at cut-over time. That should keep Sky's support dept. busy.

Does Sky need a username and password?


Yes and no.
Sky use MER and/or PPPoA

But in both cases the Router has the credentials and the lucky user
doesn't know them unless they unpick the backup of the router config.

So I would imagine the move will involve people getting a standard Sky SR101


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking a number with you... The Natural Philosopher uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 July 23rd 11 11:55 AM
Files transfers too slow - why? Tiny Tim uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 February 2nd 05 03:27 PM
Netgear DG814 and msn file transfers L uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 May 28th 04 10:53 PM
Taking a break from Zen? Geoff uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 November 13th 03 08:18 PM
Taking the plunge Mike uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 15 August 28th 03 11:54 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.