What is an Active Pack on Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband?

Old November 1st 13, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Anthony R. Gold

Default What is an Active Pack on Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband?

A bit over 4 years ago I bought a couple of Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile
Broadband kits - it was a dongle plus a SIM plus a TopUp voucher. The deal
was that the credit would never expire by time but only through use so long
as the service was used at least once per year. Today I logged in to the
online account management screens to fine new items on both accounts:

Active pack UK - 1GB - Your pack expires on 26/01/14
Remaining data: 1023MB of 1024MB

That does not sound good.

Does anyone else still have a SIM bought on that same old offer? And if so,
what you seeing on your online account and what does it mean for our
accounts and our credit balances?
Old November 1st 13, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Martin Brown

On 01/11/2013 14:14, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
A bit over 4 years ago I bought a couple of Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile
Broadband kits - it was a dongle plus a SIM plus a TopUp voucher. The deal
was that the credit would never expire by time but only through use so long
as the service was used at least once per year. Today I logged in to the
online account management screens to fine new items on both accounts:

Active pack UK - 1GB - Your pack expires on 26/01/14
Remaining data: 1023MB of 1024MB

That does not sound good.

Does anyone else still have a SIM bought on that same old offer? And if so,
what you seeing on your online account and what does it mean for our
accounts and our credit balances?

I suspect it means what it says, but if your usage is so light can't you
just tether with whatever mobile phone you happen to use. Most minimal
SIM only contracts are good for at least 100MB/month now.

I use Three 3G 3GB/3 month SIMs (£20 on Amazon) as and when I need to. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 1st 13, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Mark

On 01/11/2013 14:14, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
A bit over 4 years ago I bought a couple of Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile
Broadband kits - it was a dongle plus a SIM plus a TopUp voucher. The deal
was that the credit would never expire by time but only through use so long
as the service was used at least once per year. Today I logged in to the
online account management screens to fine new items on both accounts:

Active pack UK - 1GB - Your pack expires on 26/01/14
Remaining data: 1023MB of 1024MB

That does not sound good.

Does anyone else still have a SIM bought on that same old offer? And if so,
what you seeing on your online account and what does it mean for our
accounts and our credit balances?

I see the same (incl exactly the same date), except I have 1024MB of
1024MB data remaining, despite having less than £15 credit remaining,
which is the equivalent pre-pay value for 1GB.

My guess is that there isn't a proper "pack" to display against this
legacy product and the online site is struggling to show anything of
sense. I hope I'm wrong.

Old November 1st 13, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:14:57 +0000, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

A bit over 4 years ago I bought a couple of Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile
Broadband kits - it was a dongle plus a SIM plus a TopUp voucher. The deal
was that the credit would never expire by time but only through use so long
as the service was used at least once per year. Today I logged in to the
online account management screens to fine new items on both accounts:

Active pack UK - 1GB - Your pack expires on 26/01/14
Remaining data: 1023MB of 1024MB

That does not sound good.

Does anyone else still have a SIM bought on that same old offer? And if so,
what you seeing on your online account and what does it mean for our
accounts and our credit balances?

There are many people aggrieved by this change, and the way it was
done.
Start he
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mobil...ighlight/false
Old November 1st 13, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Anthony R. Gold

wrote:

A bit over 4 years ago I bought a couple of Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile
Broadband kits - it was a dongle plus a SIM plus a TopUp voucher. The deal
was that the credit would never expire by time but only through use so long
as the service was used at least once per year. Today I logged in to the
online account management screens to fine new items on both accounts:

Active pack UK - 1GB - Your pack expires on 26/01/14
Remaining data: 1023MB of 1024MB

That does not sound good.

Does anyone else still have a SIM bought on that same old offer? And if so,
what you seeing on your online account and what does it mean for our
accounts and our credit balances?

There are many people aggrieved by this change, and the way it was
done.
Start he
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mobil...ighlight/false

Thanks for that. I called VF and they offered to refund my remaining credit.
What they didn't do is offer to refund the dongles, which I reckon cost me
£24 each. (The Kits cost £39 at the VF store and included 1GB data - worth
£15). I plan first to ask politely, then with an LBA and finally using MCOL.
Old November 1st 13, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

That's very interesting. According to that thread there are definitely
no refunds. How did you manage it?
Old November 1st 13, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
fred

In article ,
writes
wrote:

A bit over 4 years ago I bought a couple of Vodafone TopUp and Go Mobile
Broadband kits - it was a dongle plus a SIM plus a TopUp voucher. The deal
was that the credit would never expire by time but only through use so long
as the service was used at least once per year. Today I logged in to the
online account management screens to fine new items on both accounts:

Active pack UK - 1GB - Your pack expires on 26/01/14
Remaining data: 1023MB of 1024MB

That does not sound good.

Does anyone else still have a SIM bought on that same old offer? And if so,
what you seeing on your online account and what does it mean for our
accounts and our credit balances?

There are many people aggrieved by this change, and the way it was
done.
Start he
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mobil...d-PAYG-change-
to-top-ups/td-p/1664330/highlight/false

Thanks for pointing that out, as an affected party, "Mother ****ers!" is
the politest response I can manage.

I have also suffered the fate of quite a few in that thread that account
management passwords appear to have been wiped in the last week. You
can't complain if you can't log in to your account to see the
changes?. The email support handlers looking at the problem,
apparently operating in the asian subcontinent, seem to highly skilled,
at giving customers the run-around and avoiding the issue.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Old November 1st 13, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Anthony R. Gold

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 20:40:26 +0000, fred wrote:

I have also suffered the fate of quite a few in that thread that account
management passwords appear to have been wiped in the last week. You
can't complain if you can't log in to your account to see the
changes?. The email support handlers looking at the problem,
apparently operating in the asian subcontinent, seem to highly skilled,
at giving customers the run-around and avoiding the issue.

I had exactly that on my accounts and, by using the "forgot password" link,
had the system email me temporary ones that I then changed. I just shrugged
those events off; it never occurred to me there was a more general problem.
Old November 2nd 13, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
fred

In article , Anthony R. Gold
writes
On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 20:40:26 +0000, fred wrote:

I have also suffered the fate of quite a few in that thread that account
management passwords appear to have been wiped in the last week. You
can't complain if you can't log in to your account to see the
changes?. The email support handlers looking at the problem,
apparently operating in the asian subcontinent, seem to highly skilled,
at giving customers the run-around and avoiding the issue.

I had exactly that on my accounts and, by using the "forgot password" link,
had the system email me temporary ones that I then changed. I just shrugged
those events off; it never occurred to me there was a more general problem.

Didn't happen on our contract account (conspiracy theories abound).

I was reluctant to use a password reset in case it was a database
corruption and memorable information that might have been used for
authentication could have been lost too. I didn't want to risk losing
access to an account with a valuable non expiring sim, ha!

Will perform the reset now though so I can have the benefit of seeing
the bad news on the account for myself.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Old November 2nd 13, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Anthony R. Gold

wrote:

[...]

I just asked. But I was unsure if there really had been a change in policy
so I asked to wait so I could investigate - hence my OP here. I hope it is
still available but, as I'll likely be in combat over the dongle costs, it
may make little difference whether they refund it willingly or otherwise.

The proposition that VF can take money in acceptance of a particular offer
and then not return it after the offer is withdrawn sounds absurd to me.

This is my record of VF's own FAQ on those older K3565 accounts:
http://tinyurl.com/pmhmc8q and this is a contemporary third party
description of their offer: http://tinyurl.com/nrezlwt

The above was written yesterday - Friday. I just called in again, was passed
to "refunds" and was cheerfully granted what had been promised. Indeed on
one account with a credit balance of £14.82 they insisted on giving me
£15.07 and were unable to explain the difference. Anyway the "Balance
checker" on both accounts now shows £0, so it appears to have worked.

The next question is about the dongles. By my reckoning they cost me £24
each, i.e. the kit price of £39 less the £15 value of the starting 1GB
credit balance. I asked Customer Care about those and they suggested I visit
a VF store. I will follow that unlikely advice, but probably those will
evolve into disputes that require threats and maybe complaints and hearings.