A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Cisco 527W review



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 7th 13, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Cisco 527W review

Managed to pick up a second hand one of these - been running a TP-LINK
since my Billion died.

The 527W is a small office router adsl, wifi AND phone sockets in the
back for 2 VOIP channels

Well it doesn't sync as fast as the TP-LINK did, but I'll tell you what,
its user interface is all there and actually WORKS for advanced
features, and begorrah, SWMBO swears its faster. And I think it actually
is. I suspect the TPLINK was short of memory or summat cos with three
computers hitting the net it used to get 'lumpy'

It also does - thank Clapton - SNMP so I can hook my line monitoring
software up to it and get full stats on what's happening. So the C
compiler has been chugging away ...

So, good basic SOHO router with a lot of features and well supplied with
user interface tools. Not the easiest to set up - had to clear it back
to factory defaults at one point when it simply didn't see any ADSL
carrier at all - and not the fastest on a long line, but rock solid so far.

And it takes a pair of standard POTS phones over VOIP as well.

Not bad at half retail..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

  #2  
Old November 9th 13, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default Cisco 527W review

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

So, good basic SOHO router with a lot of features and well supplied with
user interface tools.


I've installed a few of these, but they went EOL not long after I discovered
them and ironically we moved to TP-Links instead. We've had one die out of 5
installed, so not a great record. It does some nifty stuff for an unassuming
little box [eg GRE tunnels, CDP discovery], but the web interface is a bit
sluggish over HTTPS and the settings do seem a bit randomly arranged. The
pages for the ATA look like they've been copypasted from a Sipura/Linksys
[which is understandable I suppose].

You can use one of the ethernet ports as a WAN too but it wants a factory
reset before it'll let you. ISTR they run quite hot.

alexd
  #3  
Old November 9th 13, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Cisco 527W review

On 09/11/13 10:55, alexd wrote:
The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

So, good basic SOHO router with a lot of features and well supplied with
user interface tools.


I've installed a few of these, but they went EOL not long after I discovered
them and ironically we moved to TP-Links instead. We've had one die out of 5
installed, so not a great record. It does some nifty stuff for an unassuming
little box [eg GRE tunnels, CDP discovery], but the web interface is a bit
sluggish over HTTPS and the settings do seem a bit randomly arranged. The
pages for the ATA look like they've been copypasted from a Sipura/Linksys
[which is understandable I suppose].

You can use one of the ethernet ports as a WAN too but it wants a factory
reset before it'll let you. ISTR they run quite hot.

alexd

Confirmed in all details.

Except dying..

Didn't know they were EOL..I guess there is a newer model out?


--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

  #4  
Old November 9th 13, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Cisco 527W review

On 09/11/2013 11:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/11/13 10:55, alexd wrote:
The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

So, good basic SOHO router with a lot of features and well supplied with
user interface tools.


I've installed a few of these, but they went EOL not long after I
discovered
them and ironically we moved to TP-Links instead. We've had one die
out of 5
installed, so not a great record. It does some nifty stuff for an
unassuming
little box [eg GRE tunnels, CDP discovery], but the web interface is a
bit
sluggish over HTTPS and the settings do seem a bit randomly arranged. The
pages for the ATA look like they've been copypasted from a Sipura/Linksys
[which is understandable I suppose].

You can use one of the ethernet ports as a WAN too but it wants a factory
reset before it'll let you. ISTR they run quite hot.

alexd

Confirmed in all details.

Except dying..

Didn't know they were EOL..I guess there is a newer model out?



Which ASDL chipset does it use?

The older Cisco ADSL stuff (wic-1adsl, 877...) that used the Alcatel
chipsets were rather problematic until they eventually released a decent
firmware fix. The later Broadcom stuff is much better.

  #5  
Old November 9th 13, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Cisco 527W review

On 09/11/13 12:04, Nick B. wrote:
On 09/11/2013 11:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/11/13 10:55, alexd wrote:
The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

So, good basic SOHO router with a lot of features and well supplied
with
user interface tools.

I've installed a few of these, but they went EOL not long after I
discovered
them and ironically we moved to TP-Links instead. We've had one die
out of 5
installed, so not a great record. It does some nifty stuff for an
unassuming
little box [eg GRE tunnels, CDP discovery], but the web interface is a
bit
sluggish over HTTPS and the settings do seem a bit randomly arranged.
The
pages for the ATA look like they've been copypasted from a
Sipura/Linksys
[which is understandable I suppose].

You can use one of the ethernet ports as a WAN too but it wants a
factory
reset before it'll let you. ISTR they run quite hot.

alexd

Confirmed in all details.

Except dying..

Didn't know they were EOL..I guess there is a newer model out?



Which ASDL chipset does it use?

The older Cisco ADSL stuff (wic-1adsl, 877...) that used the Alcatel
chipsets were rather problematic until they eventually released a decent
firmware fix. The later Broadcom stuff is much better.

I really don't know, or how to discover..I flashed it with the latest
firmware from earlier this year anyway as a matter of course.


--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

  #6  
Old November 10th 13, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Cisco 527W review

On 09/11/2013 12:43, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/11/13 12:04, Nick B. wrote:

snip
Which ASDL chipset does it use?

The older Cisco ADSL stuff (wic-1adsl, 877...) that used the Alcatel
chipsets were rather problematic until they eventually released a decent
firmware fix. The later Broadcom stuff is much better.

I really don't know, or how to discover..I flashed it with the latest
firmware from earlier this year anyway as a matter of course.



Just curious here so I did some digging. It apears it's a Broadcom
chipset - and presumably the full model number of yours is the SRP527W?

  #7  
Old November 10th 13, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default Cisco 527W review

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

Didn't know they were EOL..I guess there is a newer model out?


According to this, it was replaced by...itself:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...51-694184.html

SRP527W-K9-G5 replaced by SRP527W-U-E-K9

Basically they didn't replace them.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2245036

Perhaps this line was a casualty of divesting Linksys to Belkin?

alexd
  #8  
Old November 10th 13, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Cisco 527W review

On 10/11/13 12:16, Nick B. wrote:
On 09/11/2013 12:43, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/11/13 12:04, Nick B. wrote:

snip
Which ASDL chipset does it use?

The older Cisco ADSL stuff (wic-1adsl, 877...) that used the Alcatel
chipsets were rather problematic until they eventually released a decent
firmware fix. The later Broadcom stuff is much better.

I really don't know, or how to discover..I flashed it with the latest
firmware from earlier this year anyway as a matter of course.



Just curious here so I did some digging. It apears it's a Broadcom
chipset - and presumably the full model number of yours is the SRP527W?

That is what it says on the tin - er plastic case!!



--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

  #9  
Old November 10th 13, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Cisco 527W review

On 10/11/13 12:48, alexd wrote:
The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

Didn't know they were EOL..I guess there is a newer model out?


According to this, it was replaced by...itself:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...51-694184.html

SRP527W-K9-G5 replaced by SRP527W-U-E-K9

Basically they didn't replace them.


yes. A crying shame because it filled a certain niche.


https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2245036

Perhaps this line was a casualty of divesting Linksys to Belkin?


worse, linksys itself no longer seems to supply the equivalent model

Its unbelievably hard to get a decent VOIP/Wifi/ADSL router at a sane price.

I think I was lucky to pick this one up.


alexd



--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

  #10  
Old January 17th 14, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default Cisco 527W review

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

So, good basic SOHO router with a lot of features


If anyone's interested in cheap routers with a lot of features, check out
Mikrotik. I've just got a 50 one [RB751U-2HnD] and the array of features on
this little box [400MHz/32MB RAM] is mind boggling. Obviously you're not
going to get much VLANs, IPsec, BGP or MPLS done on this little thing but
it's there if you want it. The CLI is even in colour!

alexd
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vonage review Ian Hopkins uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 9 September 8th 05 05:49 PM
Looking for DG834GT review Barry T uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 September 6th 05 06:55 AM
Jajah Mobile review [email protected] uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 August 23rd 05 08:13 AM
PC Review Dave Gill uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 July 10th 05 04:52 PM
Review of wireless ADSL routers Netman uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 May 17th 04 10:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.