Sky Now TV 10 box compatible with Talk Talk broadband?

Old November 30th 13, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Default Sky Now TV 10 box compatible with Talk Talk broadband?

Ordinarily I wouldn't touch either Sky or Talk Talk with a bargepole,
but I'm trying to avoid some folks vunerable getting a TT YouView box
and finding their existing TT broadband/phone contract extended and
inflated because of that, when primarily they will just about be able to
cope with the BBC iPlayer interface and the settings of TV guide
recordings would confuse them.

So, does that 10 now TV box work OK on TT broadband? They get a fast
enough connection so it should work in theory.

--
Adrian C

Old December 3rd 13, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

On 01/12/2013 09:01, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Ordinarily I wouldn't touch either Sky or Talk Talk with a
bargepole, but I'm trying to avoid some folks vunerable getting a
TT YouView box and finding their existing TT broadband/phone
contract extended and inflated because of that, when primarily they
will just about be able to cope with the BBC iPlayer interface and
the settings of TV guide recordings would confuse them.

So, does that 10 now TV box work OK on TT broadband? They get a
fast enough connection so it should work in theory.

Yes, the Now TV branded Roku box will provide Sky TV, BBC iPlayer and the
other main catch-up services on any internet provider. It just needs a Sky
login name and password, and you are running.

Although the Sky account only costs 5/month, that is a limited offer and
may increase early next year. It offers catch-up for the main Sky channels
with the last four episodes of each show available, and a few box sets, but
currently a fraction of the programmes available for Sky satellite HD boxes.

The Sky Now TV account has no limited period, so in theory you can cancel
it after one month, but it's not obvious what happens to your subsidised
box at that point, it might stop getting firmware or channel updates.

One channel a Sky Now TV box will NOT receive is Netflix, perhaps other
similar movie services.

So you can instead buy a Roku box directly, four different models from
49.99 (but mine was on offer for 30), which will give you both Now TV and
Netflix (with monthly subscriptions).

http://www.roku.com/

Angus

I took the NOW TV box on the months free trial just to use it for
iPlayer and Demand 5 and then cancelled my subscription. I still get
updates and last week added 4OD.
Derek.
Old April 13th 17, 06:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

On 30/11/2013 18:48, Adrian C wrote:
Ordinarily I wouldn't touch either Sky or Talk Talk with a bargepole,
but I'm trying to avoid some folks vunerable getting a TT YouView box
and finding their existing TT broadband/phone contract extended and
inflated because of that, when primarily they will just about be able to
cope with the BBC iPlayer interface and the settings of TV guide
recordings would confuse them.

So, does that 10 now TV box work OK on TT broadband? They get a fast
enough connection so it should work in theory.

OTOH ... In January I bought a NowTV box with a 3 month "pass" for 15,
and went to cancel the subscription the other day, with the intention of
not paying them any more.

As a sweetener I received an automatic offer of a further 4 months
viewing for 3.49 a month. I declined their offer and I have kept the
box, which still does the BBC iPlayer, 4OD and the ITV hub.

At this rate, if you actually want to continue with the service its
cheaper to just buy a new box every 7 months - I wonder how much the box
from Roku actually costs ?

AT

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 13th 17, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Abandoned Trolley" wrote in message
news
[...]

If you buy a Roku 1 USB stick or a basic Roku box (from such as
Sainsburys) you can ring Roku and they will give you an alternative
web site address that allows you to register without having to give
credit card details on the assumption that you want to use it for
catch-up only. Any Roku/NowTV box will work on any ISP - mine is on VM
for instance.

Not a lot of people know that......

You only need 4Mb/s line rate (even slightly lower in some cases) to
get good catch-up TV.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 13th 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

On 13/04/17 06:54, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

OTOH ... In January I bought a NowTV box with a 3 month "pass" for 15,
and went to cancel the subscription the other day, with the intention of
not paying them any more.

As a sweetener I received an automatic offer of a further 4 months
viewing for 3.49 a month. I declined their offer and I have kept the
box, which still does the BBC iPlayer, 4OD and the ITV hub.

I subscribed myself, and yes - the retention offers do keep you hooked
in, and also special offers from electronics companies. Keep an eye on
hotukdeals, if you do find you want to join again.

IMO Not worth paying full cost.

Some stream with slightly better quality than some of the DVDs I have,
some are worse, a lot worse. It's all grainy 720p/60 and fast motion
judders. The 2016 remake of Jungle Book is particularly bad on that. All
soundtracks are pro-logic 5.1, not dolby digital - and I haven't found a
film yet showing with subtitles.

Films I like, I then search out DVDs/Blu-ray at the charity shop.

At this rate, if you actually want to continue with the service its
cheaper to just buy a new box every 7 months - I wonder how much the box
from Roku actually costs ?

Argos currently have offers, 4 months of movies + box for 20.

But currently I'm paying 1.66 / month on some LG deal.

--
Adrian C

Old April 21st 17, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Woody wrote:
If you buy a Roku 1 USB stick or a basic Roku box (from such as
Sainsburys) you can ring Roku and they will give you an alternative
web site address that allows you to register without having to give
credit card details on the assumption that you want to use it for
catch-up only. Any Roku/NowTV box will work on any ISP - mine is on VM
for instance.

You don't need to call them, just make an account on the web at:
https://owner.roku.com/signup-nocc
or possibly:
https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc
(when you get to the credit card page there's a 'Skip' link)

and then use that to login on the TV.

Theo