Plusnet Thompson router - changing it to a new ADSL user/password

Old December 3rd 13, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default Plusnet Thompson router - changing it to a new ADSL user/password

Has anyone with a Thompson TG585 V8 router *from Plusnet* been able to
change the ADSL user name and password to values other than the ones that
they were hard-coded with when Plusnet sent out the router?

I've done a factory reset both from the Web menu and by pressing the reset
switch on the back. And then I've changed the default values to my own. It
connects perfectly but after a few minutes the ADSL username and password
revert to the preconfigured ones.

The reason I want to do this is that I've been given a spare router by an
ex-Plusnet customer and I want to use it as a backup in case my own Netgear
router goes faulty. But if it's not going remember the settings that I
change (to another Plusnet user, as it happens) then it's about as useful as
a chocolate teapot.

Is there a way of re-flashing the router to the native Thompson BIOS, if
Plusnet's modifications lock the router into a specific username?

Old December 3rd 13, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

When it reverts to the original settings was it on line? If so it
could be part of the handshaking with PN servers so that it
complies with the PN records if they have to remotely access it
for fault diagnosis.

Also, it is usual that the hard reset button needs to be held
pressed for upwards of 10 seconds to enforce the reset.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 3rd 13, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Woody" wrote in message
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Now you mention it, it was online. I wonder if you are right: the router
quotes its MAC address in traffic to the ISP and the ISP resets the router.
Time to flash the BIOS - or give up!

Also, it is usual that the hard reset button needs to be held pressed for
upwards of 10 seconds to enforce the reset.

I found that the reset button had no immediate effect, even if I pressed it
for as long as a minute, but when the power was next turned off/on, the
power light started flashing to denote "downloading config". I gave up after
it had been in that state for over an hour. The next time I powered off/on,
it reverted to its previous config.

Old December 3rd 13, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 03/12/13 17:54, NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Plusnet use TR069 to set up the user details when the unit connects. The
simplest way to deal with it is to contact Plusnet and get the unit
allocated to your account.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old December 3rd 13, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Managed to flash the BIOS to a generic non-Plusnet version. I then had to do
a factory restore (button on back) to restore the WEb interface password
which had somehow got corrupted. Finally I had to rerun the setup wizard and
set the VPI/VCI to 0,38 for UK, and put in ADSL username and password. So
far it seems to be working...

"PeeGee" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/12/13 17:54, NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

knowledge or consent of the computer user. Software should also be able to
be removed from a computer easily."

Old December 4th 13, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:39:49 -0000, "NY" wrote:

Managed to flash the BIOS to a generic non-Plusnet version. I then had to do
a factory restore (button on back) to restore the WEb interface password
which had somehow got corrupted. Finally I had to rerun the setup wizard and
set the VPI/VCI to 0,38 for UK, and put in ADSL username and password. So
far it seems to be working...

Out of interest where did you get the generic bios from ?
Old December 4th 13, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Bob L" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:39:49 -0000, "NY" wrote:

Managed to flash the BIOS to a generic non-Plusnet version. I then had to
do
a factory restore (button on back) to restore the WEb interface password
which had somehow got corrupted. Finally I had to rerun the setup wizard
and
set the VPI/VCI to 0,38 for UK, and put in ADSL username and password. So
far it seems to be working...

Out of interest where did you get the generic bios from ?

It was the first pair of links on this forum thread
http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9240

Old December 5th 13, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:41:37 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Bob L" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:39:49 -0000, "NY" wrote:

Managed to flash the BIOS to a generic non-Plusnet version. I then had to
do
a factory restore (button on back) to restore the WEb interface password
which had somehow got corrupted. Finally I had to rerun the setup wizard
and
set the VPI/VCI to 0,38 for UK, and put in ADSL username and password. So
far it seems to be working...

Out of interest where did you get the generic bios from ?

It was the first pair of links on this forum thread
http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9240

Thanks for the info

Old December 27th 13, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 03/12/2013 17:09, NY wrote:
Has anyone with a Thompson TG585 V8 router *from Plusnet* been able to
change the ADSL user name and password to values other than the ones
that they were hard-coded with when Plusnet sent out the router?

I recognise you've already sorted things but for the benefit of others:

I've done a factory reset both from the Web menu and by pressing the
reset switch on the back. And then I've changed the default values to my
own. It connects perfectly but after a few minutes the ADSL username and
password revert to the preconfigured ones.

After a factory reset the username will default to . If
the router's connected to the broadband circuit then it will make a call
to our TR069 kit and the login credentials for the user the serial
number of the unit is assigned to will be pulled down.

You could have simply overwritten these with your own details and it
would probably have worked.

The reason I want to do this is that I've been given a spare router by
an ex-Plusnet customer and I want to use it as a backup in case my own
Netgear router goes faulty. But if it's not going remember the settings
that I change (to another Plusnet user, as it happens) then it's about
as useful as a chocolate teapot.

That customer could have contacted us and asked that we disable the
router association for their account. Alternatively, I'd have been able
to remove the router from our TR069 platform provided with the serial
number.

--
www.plus.net