Anyone here using Post Office Broadband ??????

Old December 6th 13, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Anyone here using Post Office Broadband ??????

I have had PO broadband for a few years, but after a so called upgrade
which did nothing for the speed, I get frequent loss of connection,
sometimes only a few seconds between.... Almost impossible to watch
things on my now tv box....

Post office help say noone else is affected and they demand full payment
of the remaining months contract before letting me switch.

I also now realise that by just paying per month I somehow renew the
contract!!!

PO broadband is the most expensive service as well!!

John sometimes in Norwich looking at the Wensum River
Old December 6th 13, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

John wrote:
I have had PO broadband for a few years, but after a so called upgrade
which did nothing for the speed, I get frequent loss of connection,
sometimes only a few seconds between.... Almost impossible to watch
things on my now tv box....

Post office help say noone else is affected and they demand full payment
of the remaining months contract before letting me switch.

I also now realise that by just paying per month I somehow renew the
contract!!!

PO broadband is the most expensive service as well!!

John sometimes in Norwich looking at the Wensum River

How many remaining months in your contract?

Connect a simple corded phone and dial 17070 option 2 and listen for
noise. If there is any at all, report it to your voice service provider
as a noisy line. Don't mention broadband, it only confuses them!

Does the router show ADSL sync continuously, or does the sync show the
connection drops?

Have you tested with a different microfilter plugged directly into the
test point in the master socket - is that any more reliable?

Have you tried a different make of router?

Regardless of your ISP you should be able to carry out these tests.

If you need help with this I'm not far from Norwich.

--
Graham J

Old December 6th 13, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

On 06/12/2013 09:05, John wrote:
I have had PO broadband for a few years, but after a so called upgrade
which did nothing for the speed, I get frequent loss of connection,
sometimes only a few seconds between.... Almost impossible to watch
things on my now tv box....

Post office help say noone else is affected and they demand full payment
of the remaining months contract before letting me switch.

I also now realise that by just paying per month I somehow renew the
contract!!!

PO broadband is the most expensive service as well!!

Your ISP cannot legally refuse to give you a MAC code which you need to
change ISP. Contractural issues are dealt with separately.

--
Peter Crosland
Old December 6th 13, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newshound

On 06/12/2013 09:17, Graham J wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

There are also "loggers" for the ADSL connection. After faffing around
with "free" ones when I had similar issues I invested a tenner in "Net
Uptime Monitor" which seems reliable and bullet-proof.
Old December 6th 13, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Graham J wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

I have done all the tests possible including replace the router, filters
etc. Also went online from a friends place with the router and the
laptop... Same problem. His place is 2 flats away from mine, and he
gets 12MB/s from Plusnet... I struggle to get 6!

I get sometimes several hours, then I get 20 seconds or so before
connection returns...

The contract runs until 01 April 2014, and I have told PO that I wont be
renewing it.

Thanks for the info

John
Old December 6th 13, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 06/12/13 15:55, John wrote:
Graham J wrote:

Have you tried a different make of router?

Regardless of your ISP you should be able to carry out these tests.

If you need help with this I'm not far from Norwich.

I have done all the tests possible including replace the router, filters
etc. Also went online from a friends place with the router and the
laptop... Same problem.

Can you clarify that?

YOu are saying that you, using your PO account, got crap speed over the
same copper that a friend gets 12Mbps over?

His place is 2 flats away from mine, and he
gets 12MB/s from Plusnet... I struggle to get 6!

In what way do you 'struggle to get 6' synch speed, or download rates?

I get sometimes several hours, then I get 20 seconds or so before
connection returns...

The contract runs until 01 April 2014, and I have told PO that I wont be
renewing it.

Thanks for the info

John

John, you are angry and probably justifiably so, but don't jump the gun.

You have, via people here and with the kit you have, all the information
to make an accurate diagnosis.

First of all, many people here would kill for 6Mbps. And two flats away
is enough to account for that sort of variation.

But its difficult to diagnose anything more technical than extreme
frustration from your posts.

First thing is to establish what SNR, attenuation and line speed your
particular piece of copper has.. If that is an issue - bad copper - that
can be fixed without ISP changes, though sometimes it helps as support
and willingness to pursue faults is not equal in all ISPs.

If that checks out and you still are getting rubbish transfer speeds
then it IS time to change ISPs.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old December 6th 13, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:55:01 +0000, John wrote:

I have done all the tests possible including replace the router, filters
etc. Also went online from a friends place with the router and the
laptop... Same problem. His place is 2 flats away from mine, and he
gets 12MB/s from Plusnet... I struggle to get 6!

I get sometimes several hours, then I get 20 seconds or so before
connection returns...

Possibly a silly question, but do you know for certain *where* the
connection is being lost?

I've dealt with this sort of thing many times, and you wouldn't
believe how many people don't know how to tell whether a laptop is
losing wireless connection with the router, the router is losing
connection with the modem (if they're separate) the modem and/or
computer don't have valid IP addresses or the modem is losing sync
with the incoming signal. They'd all result in lack of contact with
the internet but they all have different symptoms if you know what to
look for.

Just saying you've done "all the tests possible" doesn't give us much
to go on. If you'd care to offer a little more detail there are plenty
of us here who will try to help.

Rod.
Old December 7th 13, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Roderick Stewart wrote:
[...]

A further useful test is to set up remote monitoring using F8Lure. You
will need either a static IP address or a router that supports Dynamic DNS.

F8Lure will ping your router from outside and report every time it
connects and disconnects, and will draw a nice graph. It also records
ping response times so you can see delays incurred by the volume of
other traffic on the connection. A good router will show a graph of the
bandwidth used, so if this relates to the packet delays or loss reported
by F8Lure then it confirms that it was you using the bandwidth - if not
then discuss the packet delays or loss with your ISP.

--
Graham J

Old December 7th 13, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/12/13 15:55, John wrote:
Graham J wrote:

[...]

I will transfer March 2014...... I dont want to pay PO 150 just for the
MAC code, and at times it works well enough... Speed is 6Mb in early
mornings dropping to 2Mb later. Apparantly the PO upgrade stops at 6Mb
for some reason...

The package with calls, caller ID, and broadband runs at 50 a month!

Friend on Plusnet pays half that!!!

John looking at a very high Wensum
Old December 7th 13, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Roderick Stewart wrote:
[...]

The help I need is from PO Broadband, who are very reluctant to do
anything, probably as I have said I am off ASAP(march 2014)

I am sitting with the wireless router in view, when operating normally
the WLAN and the Internet lights flash and when connection is lost they
remain on.

The system works fine when set for Plusnet....... (thats laptop and router)

John