Freeserve (& Wanadoo) email address.

Old December 8th 13, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Freeserve (& Wanadoo) email address.

Is anyone else still using one of these?

I was just contemplating the fact that the two I have are now coming
up to their 13th birthday.

For many years it was necessary to "reactivate" them at intervals, and
if you failed to do that within a time window you lost the account,
But I notice Orange, the current custodians, haven't required that in
a good while now.

They have served me well, POP3 or WEB access, good spam filter, and
best of all the address in the form of
, so I can give out unique
addresses, and know at once who leaked them to third parties if I
receive spam, plus I can filter on the bit prior to the @

Truth be told, it's also handy for signing up for multiple accounts of
free stuff, where a different email address is required, or the email
address becomes the account name and must be unique.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 9th 13, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 22:16:54 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Is anyone else still using one of these?

I was just contemplating the fact that the two I have are now coming
up to their 13th birthday.

For many years it was necessary to "reactivate" them at intervals, and
if you failed to do that within a time window you lost the account,
But I notice Orange, the current custodians, haven't required that in
a good while now.

They have served me well, POP3 or WEB access, good spam filter, and
best of all the address in the form of
, so I can give out unique
addresses, and know at once who leaked them to third parties if I
receive spam, plus I can filter on the bit prior to the @

Truth be told, it's also handy for signing up for multiple accounts of
free stuff, where a different email address is required, or the email
address becomes the account name and must be unique.

I have such a system (not with Freeserve). Thanks for the tip re
spam leaking.

--

:: Jim,

http://www.yesscotland.net
Old December 9th 13, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

[...]

Yes...Ihave both FS and WDOO and use them for exactly the same thing.
Old December 9th 13, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 08/12/2013 22:16, Graham. wrote:

Is anyone else still using one of these?

I was just contemplating the fact that the two I have are now coming
up to their 13th birthday.

For many years it was necessary to "reactivate" them at intervals, and
if you failed to do that within a time window you lost the account,
But I notice Orange, the current custodians, haven't required that in
a good while now.

They have served me well, POP3 or WEB access, good spam filter, and
best of all the address in the form of
, so I can give out unique
addresses, and know at once who leaked them to third parties if I
receive spam, plus I can filter on the bit prior to the @

Truth be told, it's also handy for signing up for multiple accounts of
free stuff, where a different email address is required, or the email
address becomes the account name and must be unique.

I've still got an
address range, and dish out
unique addresses in the way you mention.

This still works pretty well. The only downsides I've found a

1. Their spam filters are sometimes *too* good and consign wanted emails
to the spam bin - so it's a good idea to log on to their webmail server
every now and again, to rescue any such emails

2. If the address is included in a group mailing (e.g. with special
offers from the like of Screwfix) delivery often seems to be delayed -
sometimes for days - and the email may not arrive until after the offer
has ended
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 9th 13, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 22:16:54 +0000, Graham wrote:

Is anyone else still using one of these?

I was just contemplating the fact that the two I have are now coming
up to their 13th birthday.

For many years it was necessary to "reactivate" them at intervals, and
if you failed to do that within a time window you lost the account,
But I notice Orange, the current custodians, haven't required that in
a good while now.

, so I can give out unique
addresses, and know at once who leaked them to third parties if I
receive spam, plus I can filter on the bit prior to the @

Truth be told, it's also handy for signing up for multiple accounts of
free stuff, where a different email address is required, or the email
address becomes the account name and must be unique.

Me too, both Freeserve and ( same system) with screaming.net

And I have had a @lineone.net email account since 1998.

But Orange webmail account won't let me /send/ from such a unique address,
only from

--
Mike D

Old December 10th 13, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 09/12/2013 20:58, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

[...]

No, and if you wanted to send from such a unique address using your
usual email client, you'd have to set up an account for each one - which
isn't worth doing. I simply send from

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 10th 13, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

[...]

No it wouldn't, because it's webmail.
If you want to do this, why not use a specific email client, such as
Windows Live Mail, for instance.
I've got mine set up to send and receive from three unrelated email
accounts, two from Plusnet and one from Gmail, all with separate inboxes
on the one system.
I never use either Plusnet's or Gmail's webmail systems - all that
hassle of logging in and out and then keeping browser windows open when
you're expecting email.
(I use Thunderbird for Usenet, as WLM's threading leave a lot to be
desired!)

Old December 11th 13, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 10/12/2013 18:17, George Weston wrote:
[...]

I have a similar setup.

So, can I recommend 'Mailwasher'

Primarily intended as a virus/scam filter, it has the added advantage of
collecting all email accounts and displaying a list of Titles, Addresses
and Body as text as well as the presence of an attachment.

The Check function just scans emails on the servers.

I receive a number of circulars from merchants [sometimes with offers].
Having marked these merchants as spam means that I can quickly review
all incoming messages, uncheck 'Delete' for those [if any] of interest,
hit 'Wash' and all unwanted messages disappear from the server into the
ether. The rest are gathered into the respective (Plusnet/Gmail/etc)
folders.

--

Flop

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children