Dodgy broadband connection on TalkTalk

Old December 9th 13, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Dodgy broadband connection on TalkTalk

Some friends of mine are on TalkTalk and their broadband connection is very problematic. Comes and goes, max speed is 4mbps in an area where they should get up to 16.

I've tried connecting the router via the socket inside the faceplate but still no better. They've recently had a new router and that's not cured it. I've tried another filter.

When I listen to the line on a phone there's a bit of noise in the background.

I reckon it's a line problem and told them to contact TalkTalk.

It's an estate of houses about 15 years old and the phone line comes in underground.

I've heard about aluminium lines causing problems - could it be that or is that confined to older setups?
Old December 10th 13, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:
Some friends of mine are on TalkTalk and their broadband connection is very problematic. Comes and goes, max speed is 4mbps in an area where they should get up to 16.

I've tried connecting the router via the socket inside the faceplate but still no better. They've recently had a new router and that's not cured it. I've tried another filter.

When I listen to the line on a phone there's a bit of noise in the background.

I reckon it's a line problem and told them to contact TalkTalk.

It's an estate of houses about 15 years old and the phone line comes in underground.

I've heard about aluminium lines causing problems - could it be that or is that confined to older setups?

Given that you hear noise, report it to your voice service provider.
Don't mention broadband - it only confuses them!

Then, once the noise fault has been repoared, and with the router
connected to the test point in the master socket, tell us:

1) up speed;

2) down speed;

3) SNR margin;

4) loop attenuation;

5) the received error count as a proportion of the received blocks count;

The router should show all these parameters.

Leave the router connected to the test point in the master socket and
tell us whether the PPP connection ever fails and if so whether the ADSL
sync fails at the same time.

--
Graham J