BT Sport internet deal

Old December 10th 13, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown

Default BT Sport internet deal

Apologies for the cross post but I hope to get both technical and end
user views on the BT Sports deal as it might possibly be useful for my
technophobe parents. They are not internet savvy and so their Panasonic
internet capable TV will need to handle BTs encoding if it is to work.

An extra box is a possibility, but they have enough problems driving the
DVD recorder. Yet another handset to misplace is problematic.

How easy is BT Sport to watch over the internet on a Panasonic TV?
I have tried looking at the BT website and am still no wiser about what
decoding platforms apart from PC and Apple are actually supported.

BT Infinity with TV is out of the question. Freesat is possible - the TV
would support it but adding 100 to all channel numbers would make
everything that bit more fiddly for them.

I don't know anyone that has the BT Sport deal so I am stuck.

If you do have it, technical issues aside, is there a decent amount of
football coverage on it?

I presume anything better than 4Mbps BRAS is OK for full HD streaming.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old December 10th 13, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Jim

On 10/12/2013 16:30, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

The PC streaming is very variable. It uses
Silverlight and often struggles to maintain
connection. I wouldn't recommend it.

There's also an Android app. It works much better,
but might not make life any easier unless they are OK
with touch screens. You could possibly send the
picture from the Android device to the TV (as with the
Amazon ad on TV), if the set has that capability. I
doubt you will ever see an app on the TV itself.

4Mbps might be OK for the streaming apps. It's
nowhere near enough for HD.

It was possible to get a card for the encrypted
terrestrial service, but BT were only giving those out
where they couldn't provide Infinity and their YouView
box. You could try that route. It would be much the
easiest way, IF the card was compatible with the TV,
though I suspect you would still need a BT Vision box.

I don't think you can get the service on Freesat. You
need a Sky subscription/box. Maybe you can get it
with just "Freesat from Sky".

There's plenty of football, though not all from the
UK. You can view what's on through the Freeview EPG.
There's about 1 EPL and SPL match per fortnight at
the moment - it may become weekly towards the latter
half of the season. FA cup is also covered, along
with Europa League. Champions League rights have been
secured for 2015. Lots of Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS,
but not La Liga.
Old December 11th 13, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Broadback

On 10/12/2013 17:22, Jim wrote:
[...]

As a non sport person it niggles me that I have to pay BT to transmit
this rubbish (to me)