Is present FTTC as good as it gets?

Old December 11th 13, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Is present FTTC as good as it gets?

Anyone noted what happens when the existing BT cabinet gets full of users
what do BT do?
An extra cabinet next to it or additional cabinets placed in the area served
thus giving the potential of cabinets near to user and less copper length.
Regards
David

Old December 11th 13, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"David" wrote in message
Anyone noted what happens when the existing BT cabinet gets full of users
what do BT do?
An extra cabinet next to it or additional cabinets placed in the area
served thus giving the potential of cabinets near to user and less copper
length.

I wondered that. Is VDSL (used for the final copper part of FTTC) inherently
better than ADSL (eg allows faster data transfer over the same
length/quality of copper) or is the speed increase largely due to the
shorter length of copper between the cabinet and the house compared with the
length from the exchange to the house?

What is the likely speed for FTTC over about half a mile of copper (from my
nearest cabinet to the house), on wire which currently gives about 4 Mbps /
448 kbs on ADSL? Given the hassle of relocating my router and having to get
one of my house extensions reinstalled (*), as well as the increased cost to
the ISP, I'd want to make sure of the likely benefit before going ahead and
ordering it.

(*) The house currently has an old GPO rectangular junction box with a big
screw in the centre, connecting the drop cable to two extensions with
non-faceplate BT sockets. I understand from previous discussions in this
group and uk.telecom that while installing FTTC, BT would convert this setup
to one extension with a faceplate socket and would remove the other,
requiring an extra charge for them to reinstate it.

Old December 11th 13, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 11/12/13 12:33, NY wrote:
"David" wrote in message
Anyone noted what happens when the existing BT cabinet gets full of
users what do BT do?
An extra cabinet next to it or additional cabinets placed in the area
served thus giving the potential of cabinets near to user and less
copper length.

I wondered that. Is VDSL (used for the final copper part of FTTC)
inherently better than ADSL (eg allows faster data transfer over the
same length/quality of copper) or is the speed increase largely due to
the shorter length of copper between the cabinet and the house compared
with the length from the exchange to the house?

VDSL is simply a protocol that takes advantage of the shorter length of
copper..

What you find is that at various bandwith/attenutaion figures, one
protocol or another performs better than all the others to get the most
of out the available copper. Adls2+ is actually WORSE tha ADSL at sub
2Mbps speeds IIRC.

What is the likely speed for FTTC over about half a mile of copper (from
my nearest cabinet to the house), on wire which currently gives about 4
Mbps / 448 kbs on ADSL? Given the hassle of relocating my router and
having to get one of my house extensions reinstalled (*), as well as the
increased cost to the ISP, I'd want to make sure of the likely benefit
before going ahead and ordering it.

I wouldn't give a rats fart for it being all that nmuch better than
your existing...maybe 10Mbps

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old December 11th 13, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"David" wrote in message
Anyone noted what happens when the existing BT cabinet gets full of users
what do BT do?
An extra cabinet next to it or additional cabinets placed in the area
served thus giving the potential of cabinets near to user and less copper
length.
Regards
David

The new fibre cabinets have generally replaced older cabinets as the new
ones have mains power in them (and the old ones leak)

How to increase capacity: -

1. Use smaller equipment - needs less room or you can service more lines in
the same space (see thread on what use for an old telephone exchange
building).

2. Put another cabinet next to it.

3. Move fibre to copper demultiplex downstream towards the user (star
configuration) e.g. a small bump (concentrator) on the top of a telegraph
pole.

In reality telephone market penetration reached 98% years ago and although
there is demand for more numbers (e.g. for fax) the number of individual
'users' is literally only growing organically.

To give you an idea of the change of scale, there are 76 System X Digital
Main Switching Units (basically a trunk exchange) in the UK with a capacity
to handle 30,000 simultaneous [circuit switched] calls. An aggregate
bandwidth of 2.4Gb/S. These cost zillions and occupied a large room. I
can buy a Gigabit Ethernet switch with similar bandwidth that will fit in my
briefcase for around 100.

Old December 11th 13, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

What is the likely speed for FTTC over about half a mile of copper (from
my nearest cabinet to the house), on wire which currently gives about 4
Mbps / 448 kbs on ADSL? Given the hassle of relocating my router and
having to get one of my house extensions reinstalled (*), as well as the
increased cost to the ISP, I'd want to make sure of the likely benefit
before going ahead and ordering it.

I wouldn't give a rats fart for it being all that nmuch better than your
existing...maybe 10Mbps

Ah. It's as I thought. I suppose for me the only improvement would be a
significantly greater upload speed because VDSL is symmetric (roughly same
upload and download speeds) whereas ADSL is fast download (max 8 Mbps, maybe
a bit more for ADSL2) but around 0.4 to 0.9 Mbps upload.

Is there a web site (either BT OpenReach or for specific ISPs) which
predicts VDSL speed for a given postcode, as there is for ADSL?

Old December 11th 13, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

What is the likely speed for FTTC over about half a mile of copper (from
my nearest cabinet to the house), on wire which currently gives about 4
Mbps / 448 kbs on ADSL? Given the hassle of relocating my router and
having to get one of my house extensions reinstalled (*), as well as the
increased cost to the ISP, I'd want to make sure of the likely benefit
before going ahead and ordering it.

I wouldn't give a rats fart for it being all that nmuch better than
your existing...maybe 10Mbps

10 Mb/s over about 1km of copper VSDL ? I get three times that on over a
1km worth

--
Mark
Old December 11th 13, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 11/12/13 12:51, NY wrote:
[...]

VDSL is not necessarily symmetrical.

And I don't think BT's implementation is.

The crossover point seems to be around 1.6km, at which point its no
better than ADSL2

However at half mile it should apparently be a lot better.

Old December 11th 13, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , NY
writes

Is there a web site (either BT OpenReach or for specific ISPs) which
predicts VDSL speed for a given postcode, as there is for ADSL?

Google broken, is it?

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...dband/infinity

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old December 11th 13, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message ...

In article , NY
writes

Is there a web site (either BT OpenReach or for specific ISPs) which
predicts VDSL speed for a given postcode, as there is for ADSL?

Google broken, is it?

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...dband/infinity

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

*****

That tells me Infinity would give me 32Mb out of 76Mb

BT BB estimate 6 out of 16 Mb

I get 13Mb from my present Be Unlimited.

Regards
David
Old December 11th 13, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , David writes

That tells me Infinity would give me 32Mb out of 76Mb
BT BB estimate 6 out of 16 Mb

I get 13Mb from my present Be Unlimited.

Infinity is FTTC, so what BT quote will be the same from any provider.
You're getting quite a higher figure from your Be ADSL connection than
BT think your line is capable of.

32Mbit for FTTC suggests your nearest cabinet is roughly 800m away.

The speed checker says I'll get 79.9Mbit down, 20Mbit up - the cabinet
is about 50 feet away from my house. Will be ordering it in the new
year.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)