How to run f8lure????

Old December 12th 13, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default How to run f8lure????

Trying to get down to the bottom of my loss of connection, I was told to
run f8lure...

Loaded it on but cant see how to make it work!!

Also am running a log from the w router, with some success, but not
enough to satsify PO broadbands tech help

John with ice on my car
Old December 12th 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

John wrote:
Trying to get down to the bottom of my loss of connection, I was told to
run f8lure...

Loaded it on but cant see how to make it work!!

Also am running a log from the w router, with some success, but not
enough to satsify PO broadbands tech help

John with ice on my car

First you need a static IP address, or a substitute in the form of a
Dynamic DNS (DDNS) address together with a router that supports DDNS.

However, F8Lure only measures connectivity from the outside world.
Given that it is your own connection that is failing, you need to
monitor what your router shows you about the connection.

Clearly you can do this from any computer connected to your LAN. Don't
use a wireless connection!!!!! You are trying to eliminate
unreliability!!!!!

However you have to sit and watch the computer.

Routerstats will watch the router for you - see:

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstats

Not that it only works with certain routers, and there are several
versions of the program.

--
Graham J

Old December 12th 13, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:35:02 +0000, John wrote:

Trying to get down to the bottom of my loss of connection, I was told to
run f8lure...

Loaded it on but cant see how to make it work!!

Also am running a log from the w router, with some success, but not
enough to satsify PO broadbands tech help

John with ice on my car

In addition to the advice in the previous reply, you also need to ensure
that your router responds to pings from the Internet side - because that's
what f8lure uses to check connectivity.
Old December 12th 13, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:13:26 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

Trying to get down to the bottom of my loss of connection, I was told to
run f8lure...

Loaded it on but cant see how to make it work!!

Also am running a log from the w router, with some success, but not
enough to satsify PO broadbands tech help

John with ice on my car

In addition to the advice in the previous reply, you also need to ensure
that your router responds to pings from the Internet side - because that's
what f8lure uses to check connectivity.

Routers can be configured not to respond to pings from outside
sources, so a failure to do so would not necessarily indicate any
problems. To check outside connectivity, log in to router setup pages
(typically 192.168.something.something), check for gateway IP address
and verify that you can ping that.

Rod.
Old December 12th 13, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:00:34 +0000, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

John wrote:
[...]

I would echo that advice about eliminating the wireless as the cause
of the disconnects. It was something you said in the other thread:

(quote)
I am sitting with the wireless router in view, when operating normally
the WLAN and the Internet lights flash and when connection is lost
they remain on.

The usual failure mode of ADSL is intermittent loss of sync, but your
description of how the lights behave does not point to that at all, I
would have expected for one of the lights to flash rhythmically during
the period of disconnection, then glow steadily (or flicker in some
cases) when the connection is re-established.

If you have a spare patch cable please humour us, and connect your
laptop with it to your router and turn off the wifi for a few hours.

Also do a speed test, you might be surprised.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%