BT email question

Old December 13th 13, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default BT email question

User has account with BT's implementation of MS Office 365.

Email address of the form

Our documentation shows a password - 8 characters long

A system that works, using Outlook Express, shows 12 blobs for the
password. So perhaps we changed it without keeping proper notes. Or
perhaps OE always shows 12 blobs.

So open browser at http://Login.microsoftonline.com and type in the
email address, with the password that our doumentation shows.

Not recognised ...

So click on link: "Canít access your account?"

Depending on browser used - it either hangs (with Firefox)

or gives HTTP 403 error (with Internet Explorer 11)

.... in both cases the link is:

https://accountservices.microsoftonl...=EN-GB&lc=2057

Is there a known problem with the Office 365 system at present?

TIA

-- Graham J

Old December 13th 13, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
User has account with BT's implementation of MS Office 365.

Email address of the form

Our documentation shows a password - 8 characters long

A system that works, using Outlook Express, shows 12 blobs for the
password. So perhaps we changed it without keeping proper notes. Or
perhaps OE always shows 12 blobs.

So open browser at http://Login.microsoftonline.com and type in the email
address, with the password that our doumentation shows.

Not recognised ...

So click on link: "Canít access your account?"

Depending on browser used - it either hangs (with Firefox)

or gives HTTP 403 error (with Internet Explorer 11)

... in both cases the link is:

https://accountservices.microsoftonl...=EN-GB&lc=2057

Is there a known problem with the Office 365 system at present?

TIA

-- Graham J

The numpties at BT keep invalidating passwords. If my phone and tablet try
to update mail, while I logged on somewhere else it treats the simultaneous
accesses as suspicious and you have to set and rest the password - annoying!

Old December 16th 13, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:19:23 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

[...]

And BT have been migrating their users away from yahoo, a process they
seem to have completely ballsed-up. No surprise there.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old December 16th 13, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:13:58 +0000, Mark
wrote:

And BT have been migrating their users away from yahoo, a process they
seem to have completely ballsed-up. No surprise there.

In my case email is duplicated. I now have nine email addresses.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software http://www.npsnn.com

Old December 16th 13, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

BT admit to having had a problem on Friday 13 December.

We also had a problem, in that we had not kept a correct note of the
current password (12 blobs long).

When the problem occurred, Outlook Express of course failed to download
any email. However, a while later when the problem was resolved,
Outlook Express successfully downloaded emails.

The machine with Windows Mail showed a blank username and password box,
and refused to remember anything entered in it. But we were using the
wrong password. Deleting the account and re-creating it made no
difference - it still failed to remember the credentials.

I then tried Window Live Mail. This behaved more sensibly; it
remembered the username and password, and simply complained that one or
other was incorrect. Much more sensible.

I rang BT and found out the correct password; and put that into Windows
Live Mail. Success ....

--
Graham J

Old December 16th 13, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
SNIP

I rang BT and found out the correct password; and put that into Windows
Live Mail. Success ....

They gave you a current password over the phone?!? Or just a one time one?

--
Graham J

Old December 16th 13, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

And BT have been migrating their users away from yahoo, a process they
seem to have completely ballsed-up. No surprise there.

In my case email is duplicated. I now have nine email addresses.

I guess that's better than none ;-)
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old December 16th 13, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
SNIP

I rang BT and found out the correct password; and put that into Windows
Live Mail. Success ....

They gave you a current password over the phone?!? Or just a one time one?

Indeed yes - I had to pass all their security checks (inside leg
measurement, number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin, etc.)

--
Graham J

Old December 16th 13, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:37:51 +0000, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
SNIP

I rang BT and found out the correct password; and put that into Windows
Live Mail. Success ....

They gave you a current password over the phone?!? Or just a one time one?

Indeed yes - I had to pass all their security checks (inside leg
measurement, number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin, etc.)

When I had a problem with my Primus Saver (New Call Telecom) line, and
rang their support, they asked me for my account password as one of
the security questions.

Do you agree with me that is very bad practice?
That's what I told them.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 17th 13, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
SNIP

I rang BT and found out the correct password; and put that into Windows
Live Mail. Success ....

They gave you a current password over the phone?!? Or just a one time one?

Indeed yes - I had to pass all their security checks (inside leg
measurement, number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin, etc.)

The next thing you should do is change it!

When I had a problem with my Primus Saver (New Call Telecom) line, and
rang their support, they asked me for my account password as one of
the security questions.

Do you agree with me that is very bad practice?

Yes. But it is exactly the sort of thing you would expect from cowboys.

That's what I told them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown