Closure of BT Broadband Talk

Old December 24th 13, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

Default Closure of BT Broadband Talk

There is an offer of a Home Hub 4 associated with the closure of the BT
Broadband Talk.

It claims the Home Hub 4 has various advantages over the older Home Hub
that I have, is this the case?

Also do they require the old Home Hub and cordless phone to be returned
to them?

I rarely use the extra line so it is not really worth paying 42 a year
though it can occasionally be useful.

Old December 24th 13, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

MB writted thus:

There is an offer of a Home Hub 4 associated with the closure of the BT
Broadband Talk.

It claims the Home Hub 4 has various advantages over the older Home Hub
that I have, is this the case?

Also do they require the old Home Hub and cordless phone to be returned
to them?

I rarely use the extra line so it is not really worth paying 42 a year
though it can occasionally be useful.

normally the equipment is yours after 12 months, or your initial contract
period. If they are saying you need an HH4 for broadband, no, an HH3 is
enough, although if you are wanting to upgrade I can recommend the HH5,
no modem required.
Old December 24th 13, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 24/12/2013 20:34, tigger wrote:
MB writted thus:

There is an offer of a Home Hub 4 associated with the closure of the BT
Broadband Talk.

It claims the Home Hub 4 has various advantages over the older Home Hub
that I have, is this the case?

Also do they require the old Home Hub and cordless phone to be returned
to them?

I rarely use the extra line so it is not really worth paying 42 a year
though it can occasionally be useful.

normally the equipment is yours after 12 months, or your initial contract
period. If they are saying you need an HH4 for broadband, no, an HH3 is
enough, although if you are wanting to upgrade I can recommend the HH5,
no modem required.

You have to choose between paying for Broadband Talk or cancelling it
but there is an offer where you can cancel and get the HH4 free. I had
previously not worried about changing because I knew I would lose BB
Talk if I did so.

Perhaps take up the offer, always useful to have a spare router when
there is a network fault because it lets me prove (along with the use
also of a different PC) that the fault is not in my equipment though the
Indian call centre will want me to reset the Home Hub because that is
what their script says!

Will be able to put the DECT phone onto my own DECT system.
Old December 25th 13, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 24/12/2013 20:34, tigger wrote:
MB writted thus:

There is an offer of a Home Hub 4 associated with the closure of the BT
Broadband Talk.

It claims the Home Hub 4 has various advantages over the older Home Hub
that I have, is this the case?

Also do they require the old Home Hub and cordless phone to be returned
to them?

I rarely use the extra line so it is not really worth paying 42 a year
though it can occasionally be useful.

normally the equipment is yours after 12 months, or your initial contract
period. If they are saying you need an HH4 for broadband, no, an HH3 is
enough, although if you are wanting to upgrade I can recommend the HH5,
no modem required.

Reading again, you only get the new HH4 if you are not already on
unlimited BB and weekend calls.

Old December 25th 13, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"MB" wrote in message
On 24/12/2013 20:34, tigger wrote:
MB writted thus:

There is an offer of a Home Hub 4 associated with the closure of the BT
Broadband Talk.

It claims the Home Hub 4 has various advantages over the older Home Hub
that I have, is this the case?

Also do they require the old Home Hub and cordless phone to be returned
to them?

Usually not, although they sent a bag to return Highway equipment in the
past.

I rarely use the extra line so it is not really worth paying 42 a year
though it can occasionally be useful.

If people ring in on the number then port it out to Voipfone, who reckon
that they can get them out - NOTE port it out before changing anything at
BT. This will cost you 24+VAT pa, although no free calls (but about 1p/min
24/7)

I was going to suck it and see. In particular I am waiting for user install
ADSL2.

normally the equipment is yours after 12 months, or your initial contract
period. If they are saying you need an HH4 for broadband, no, an HH3 is
enough, although if you are wanting to upgrade I can recommend the HH5,
no modem required.

Not sure that is an advantage, because then you can't use your own router
(e.g. Draytek).

You have to choose between paying for Broadband Talk or cancelling it but
there is an offer where you can cancel and get the HH4 free. I had
previously not worried about changing because I knew I would lose BB Talk
if I did so.

Perhaps take up the offer, always useful to have a spare router when there
is a network fault because it lets me prove (along with the use also of a
different PC) that the fault is not in my equipment though the Indian call
centre will want me to reset the Home Hub because that is what their
script says!

Will be able to put the DECT phone onto my own DECT system.

Should be able to, although you won't get all the glossy features.