Phone and network cables.

Old January 10th 14, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

Default Phone and network cables.

I'll soon be installing a BT vision youview box which needs an ethernet
cable connection, I don't want to use powerline adapters.

I live in a bungalow with concrete floors and an open roofspace. The
room the Homehub 3 router is situated in (Infinity) has an extension
phone socket (The openreach modem and homehub 3 are not using this phone
socket, they're on a completely separate filtered main BT socket) with a
conduit running upwards into the roofspace. From the roofspace I can go
down a phone conduit to the back of the television/youview box.

So my question is, is it ok to run the ethernet network cable along with
the phone cables in the same conduit? If the answer is yes would it be
ok to run 2 ethernet cables as I could also do away with using wireless
on the television?

I know I won't burn the house down but wonder if interference will cause
issues.

Thanks

--
John
Old January 10th 14, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"nospam" wrote in message
I'll soon be installing a BT vision youview box which needs an ethernet
cable connection, I don't want to use powerline adapters.

I live in a bungalow with concrete floors and an open roofspace. The room
the Homehub 3 router is situated in (Infinity) has an extension phone
socket (The openreach modem and homehub 3 are not using this phone socket,
they're on a completely separate filtered main BT socket) with a conduit
running upwards into the roofspace. From the roofspace I can go down a
phone conduit to the back of the television/youview box.

So my question is, is it ok to run the ethernet network cable along with
the phone cables in the same conduit? If the answer is yes would it be ok
to run 2 ethernet cables as I could also do away with using wireless on
the television?

Should be OK.

Use Cat 6, even if you are only reunning Cat 5E signals.

Old January 10th 14, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tullyhubbert

Don't know why my name is being displayed as nospam. I've a nospam in my
account email address, I've just removed it and I'm using this post as a
test to see if that works. First time using Thunderbird as a news server
here.

Thanks.

--
John
Old January 10th 14, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tullyhubbert

Thanks Mark, not sure of the difference in the cables but I'll google
that for an answer.

I've a couple of long enough (20m) Ethernet cable here with moulded
ends. My plan was to cut one end of each cable (to enable me to get them
through the conduits) and then crimp a new ends on the cables. I've no
idea what CAT these cables are. Got to be worth a try?

--
John
Old January 10th 14, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"tullyhubbert" wrote in message
Thanks Mark, not sure of the difference in the cables but
I'll google that for an answer.

I've a couple of long enough (20m) Ethernet cable here
with moulded ends. My plan was to cut one end of each
cable (to enable me to get them through the conduits) and
then crimp a new ends on the cables. I've no idea what CAT
these cables are. Got to be worth a try?

The type of cable will be printed on or moulded into the
outer cover of the cable.

Whether the cable uses solid wires or flex, try not to bend
it too much to preserve the integrity of the screening and
thus reduce RFI.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 10th 14, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:18:31 +0000, nospam
wrote:

[...]

ADSL, ISDN, Ethernet, and goodness knows what else are routinely
bundled together in "structured cabling", you shouldn't have any
problem.

In my installation here, the ADSL gets a free ride on one of the spare
pairs of the CAT5 that feeds one of the bedrooms (not gigabit,
obviously). I don't recommend you do that, but I can report there is
no measurable degradation of ADSL performance in my case.

Remember the VDSL pair from the cabinet to yout DP is bundled in the
same cables as other VDSL pairs, ADSL pairs from the exchange, and
maybe even a few ISDN2E pairs if there are commercial premises nearby,
and we are not talking CAT5/6 we are likley talking of decades old
cables intended for speech frequencies only.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 10th 14, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 10/01/14 22:18, nospam wrote:

So my question is, is it ok to run the ethernet network cable along with
the phone cables in the same conduit? If the answer is yes would it be
ok to run 2 ethernet cables as I could also do away with using wireless
on the television?

yes

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old January 11th 14, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

tullyhubbert wrote:
Thanks Mark, not sure of the difference in the cables but I'll google
that for an answer.

I've a couple of long enough (20m) Ethernet cable here with moulded
ends. My plan was to cut one end of each cable (to enable me to get them
through the conduits) and then crimp a new ends on the cables. I've no
idea what CAT these cables are. Got to be worth a try?

Don't.

Ethernet patch leads will be constructed with flex cable (i.e. multiple
strands for each core).

You should use solid core cable and terminate it in RJ45 sockets mounted
in or on the wall. The punchdown connectors in the RJ45 sockets only
work correctly with solid cable. A 1000 foot reel costs well under £100
- it may be availabe in shorter lengths. See:

http://www.cmsplc.com/hellermanntyto...ata-cable.html

Then use short patch leads from these sockets - when the barbs on the
RJ45 plugs break off you can replace the whole patch lead at minimal
expense.

Cat 6 cable has a plastic guide in the centre to control the position of
the 4 pairs - it is thicker and stiffer than Cat 5, and will give much
better crosstalk and bandwidth performance.

--
Graham J

Old January 11th 14, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , nospam
escribió:

So my question is, is it ok to run the ethernet network cable along with
the phone cables in the same conduit?

Yes

If the answer is yes would it be
ok to run 2 ethernet cables as I could also do away with using wireless
on the television?

Yes. Run a spare while you're at it for future use, it's easier to run
the three now rather than add another later.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old January 11th 14, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tullyhubbert

Graham J wrote:

Don't.

Ethernet patch leads will be constructed with flex cable (i.e. multiple
strands for each core).

You should use solid core cable and terminate it in RJ45 sockets mounted
in or on the wall. The punchdown connectors in the RJ45 sockets only
work correctly with solid cable. A 1000 foot reel costs well under £100
- it may be availabe in shorter lengths. See:

http://www.cmsplc.com/hellermanntyto...ata-cable.html

Then use short patch leads from these sockets - when the barbs on the
RJ45 plugs break off you can replace the whole patch lead at minimal
expense.

Cat 6 cable has a plastic guide in the centre to control the position of
the 4 pairs - it is thicker and stiffer than Cat 5, and will give much
better crosstalk and bandwidth performance.

Seems like sound advice.

I think I'll make the effort and sink a single box into the wall beside
the telephone point and put a double RJ45 faceplate on it. Two solid
CAT6 cables from there to behind the television and another double RJ45
faceplate (Surface mounted this time) Then use patch cables.

My runs are 20m, so this seems ideal to me:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50m-CAT-6-...item35cb70f73a

Faceplates:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat6-RJ45-...item2ec9d75f09

I'm finally replacing my trusty CRT television with a Smart LED TV,
Smart Blu-rau and a BT Youview box. The TV and Bluray both have built in
WiFi but the Youview box needs an ethernet cable. In reality I only need
one cable so the second should be a spare. The smart functions on the
Blu-ray wont be needed as they are only a repeat of what the TV and
Youview box can do. I could use the spare second cable for the TV rather
than WiFi in case its troublesome, can't tell that until it arrives.

I can use a temporary long patch cable for the youview until I get the
wiring sorted.

Any comments on the above cable and faceplate suitability (Or not) or
alternative recommendations appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

--
John