Just don't understand it

Old January 11th 14, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

Default Just don't understand it

I originally posted this on u.t.mobile and wondered if it was a good
thing to post here to?

I'm on 3's One Plan, which allows tethering. I've finally found the one
spot at my place where I get the best mobile broadband reception (I'm
right at the very end of edge of BT's exchange where the best wired
broadband I get is 1.2Mbps)

At this spot, using my Nokia 520, speedtest.net, as I write this, gives
results of 100ms ping, 0.3Mbps download and 0.8Mbps upload. When I
tether my tablet, in another room in the house, I get 60ms ping, 3.6Mbps
download and 0.8Mbps upload.

How can that be?

Having said that, speed test results both on the Nokia and tablet vary
wildly. In the past, on the Nokia, at the same spot, the ping has been
as slow as 500ms and the download speed as much as 4Mbps (not
concurrently, of course). Is the reception affected by weather, time of
day and the price of bread???

By way of example, I've just run another speedtest.net

Nokia 520: 750ms ping, 0.3Mbps download and 1.0Mbps upload
Tethered tablet: 95ms ping, 2.7Mbps download and 0.9Mbps upload

Weird!

Any pointers or explanation would be greatly appreciated
Old January 11th 14, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"PeterL" wrote in message
Nokia 520: 750ms ping, 0.3Mbps download and 1.0Mbps upload
Tethered tablet: 95ms ping, 2.7Mbps download and 0.9Mbps upload

Weird!

Certainly sounds very weird. What OS does the Nokia 520 use - Symbian or
Android? I've found a strange difference between the Android and Windows
versions of speedtest.net (the former as an app, the latter as a website
accessed through Firefox): the Android app reports my upload speed as about
700 kb/sec which is a physical impossibility since my router reports an ADSL
sync speed of 448 kb/sec; the website on Windows reports about 380 which is
a lot more plausible. So I'm slightly suspicious of the Android app.

As a matter of interest, is it the turning on of tethering that reduces your
ping time and dramatically increases the download speed, or is it the
connection of the tablet to that shared connection?

What speed does the speedtest app on the tablet (as opposed to the phone)
report?

Old January 11th 14, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

On 11/01/2014 18:44, NY wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message
[...]

The Nokia 520 is a Windows phone. The tablet is Android 4.1.1
(Jellybean). Both use a speedtest.net app.

There's no consistency. Just now:

Nokia (no tethering) 116ms / 0Mbps / 1.0Mbps

Nokia (tethering) 132ms / 0.26Mbps / 1.1Mbps
Tablet (tethered) 100ms / 0.55Mbps/ 1.0Mbps

Can you work this out?

Old January 11th 14, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"PeterL" wrote in message
On 11/01/2014 18:44, NY wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message
[...]

Are you quoting the up and down speeds in the same order as in your original
posting - are you really getting slower download than upload speeds?

Have you tried getting the Nokia to forget and re-add the wireless network
(ie regenerating the entry)? I had an annoying problem with my Android phone
a few weeks ago which gave good data rates on the Speedtest app and when
downloading email, but was painfully slow when browsing (using either
Firefox or Dolphin) - using WiFi rather than 3G which is *always* glacially
slow at best and much slower at worst (always assuming I actually get a data
connection).

It was only when I was using my phone on someone else's network that I found
I got good browsing speeds, and when I got back I forgot and re-added our
own network - since when speeds have been pretty good.

I've seen the same thing occasionally on Windows (as on a desktop/laptop -
I've never used a Windows phone) - WiFi funnies which are cured by
regenerating the entry.