BE - Unattributable slowdowns

Old January 12th 14, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Default BE - Unattributable slowdowns

I seem to be getting more and more slowdowns with Be. I'm trying very
hard not to attribute it to Sky's network but I do have that at the
back of my mind.

Specifically, Skype often daleks (daytime, particularly) and I'm now
even having problems with my SIP-based VoIP. There's nothing in the
speedtesters that's particularly obvious, and one enquiry to Be Support
hasn't turned up anything obvious. Websites "feel" slower to load, but
that's a very qualitative statement and I've not been able to quantify
anything specific there. Downloads are usually "fast enough".

This isn't specifically one time; it's been recurring for the last couple
of months or so.

Anyone else?
Chris
Old January 12th 14, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Chris Davies" wrote in message ...

I seem to be getting more and more slowdowns with Be. I'm trying very
hard not to attribute it to Sky's network but I do have that at the
back of my mind.

Specifically, Skype often daleks (daytime, particularly) and I'm now
even having problems with my SIP-based VoIP. There's nothing in the
speedtesters that's particularly obvious, and one enquiry to Be Support
hasn't turned up anything obvious. Websites "feel" slower to load, but
that's a very qualitative statement and I've not been able to quantify
anything specific there. Downloads are usually "fast enough".

This isn't specifically one time; it's been recurring for the last couple
of months or so.

Anyone else?
Chris

*******

Yes since November been having connection troubles.
See my post here below.
Also see Be forum and lots of Be customers having problems, Be seem to blame
anything but themselves.
Regards
David

Old January 12th 14, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/01/14 16:31, Chris Davies wrote:
I seem to be getting more and more slowdowns with Be. I'm trying very
hard not to attribute it to Sky's network but I do have that at the
back of my mind.

Specifically, Skype often daleks (daytime, particularly) and I'm now
even having problems with my SIP-based VoIP. There's nothing in the
speedtesters that's particularly obvious, and one enquiry to Be Support
hasn't turned up anything obvious. Websites "feel" slower to load, but
that's a very qualitative statement and I've not been able to quantify
anything specific there. Downloads are usually "fast enough".

This isn't specifically one time; it's been recurring for the last couple
of months or so.

sounds like general congestion on the ISPs network. There is no doubt
that people are really hammering the internet these days and the ISPs
are coining it before having to fork out for upgraded links.

Anyone else?
Chris

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old January 12th 14, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 16:31:42 +0000, Chris Davies
wrote:

I seem to be getting more and more slowdowns with Be. I'm trying very
hard not to attribute it to Sky's network but I do have that at the
back of my mind.

Specifically, Skype often daleks (daytime, particularly) and I'm now
even having problems with my SIP-based VoIP. There's nothing in the
speedtesters that's particularly obvious, and one enquiry to Be Support
hasn't turned up anything obvious. Websites "feel" slower to load, but
that's a very qualitative statement and I've not been able to quantify
anything specific there. Downloads are usually "fast enough".

This isn't specifically one time; it's been recurring for the last couple
of months or so.

Anyone else?
Chris

Yes me too, in the last couple of days, but I thought it was just me.
No change in sync speed.
No change in the speed reported by speedtest.net
No change in the f8lure graphs.
I've noticed no problems with SIP VoIP which I use constantly.

But, (in particular) youtube and soundcloud seem to take ages to get
going.

So traffic shaping may well be to blame

I am on the Sam Knows Whitebox project so I will log at the test
results over the past week and report back.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 12th 14, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

[...]

Nothing significant found. Website load times and latency are better
than average (going back to 15 Feb 2013)

My f8lure graphs show that samknows is conducting the bulk of the
tests at 2300 each night.

So much for tests. Both my son and myself have independently concluded
something has been amiss.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 13th 14, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Graham." wrote in message

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:20 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

(Chris Davies) wrote:

I seem to be getting more and more slowdowns with Be. I'm trying
very hard not to attribute it to Sky's network but I do have that
at the back of my mind.

I must admit my thoughts have been similar since I started getting the same
issues
soon after my migration was completed a few weeks ago.

Downloads have definitely changed. I used to get rock solid 2MBps downloads
from
reliable sources like Steam, but now they're all over the place.
Acceptable, but
seeing as my contract's up now and the bargain basement price I had has
gone, I can
hear Plusnet calling again. Must shake this New Year lethargy and get my
act
together. :-)

Andrew McP

How does one know when the migration is about to take place? Do they
send you a new router?

I took their half price for a year bribe, so I'll be stuck with Sky
until that expires.

--
Graham.

*******

Be reported the problem is fixed and was not their Network at fault.

I thought we were to use same Be router when transferred to Sky that is why
Internet_PPP (what ever that means) was in the box menu.

I have been told those of us on a monthly notice contract will continue to
be monthly when on Sky, is that not proving to be the case?
Regards
David

Old January 14th 14, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

On 13/01/2014 08:20, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
seeing as my contract's up now and the bargain basement price I had has gone, I can
hear Plusnet calling again. Must shake this New Year lethargy and get my act
together. :-)

I switched from Be to Plusnet around the time that Murdoch took over
control of Be.

I have to say that I was starting to regret it because download speeds
have been a bit lower all the time, while uploads *much* slower than I
used to get with Be. But from what has been posted here, maybe Be has
got worse so they are now not all that different.

Still, Plusnet is cheaper, and you get what you pay for, I suppose.

I've put the decreasing bandwidth down to a hidden plan on the part of
all ISPs to force us all to pay for fibre broadband by making good old
ADSL get slower and slower as time goes on, but maybe that's just
cynicism on my part?

--
Clive Page
Old January 14th 14, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Clive Page wrote:

I switched from Be to Plusnet around the time that Murdoch took over
control of Be.

I have to say that I was starting to regret it because download speeds
have been a bit lower all the time, while uploads *much* slower than I
used to get with Be.

Have you requested your upstream speed be uncapped? IIRC the default is
to limit it to 832kbps, your line might support up to 1.3Mb