Sky hub SR102 vs Be Boxes by Thompson/Technicolour

Old January 13th 14, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Sky hub SR102 vs Be Boxes by Thompson/Technicolour

If I stay with Be Unlimited and do nothing I continue to use my present Be
Box for SKY but if I go now I get a Sky SR102.
I know the Sky SR102 is better on one feature in that it will do ADSL and
Fiber.

Leaving that aside are Sky SR101/102 better quality than
Thompson/Technicolour which I assume are a sort of cheap basic product.
Who makes the Sky product please?

Do Plusnet who seem to be picking up 02/Be customers use the
Thompson/Technicolor product?

Regards
David

Old January 13th 14, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 13/01/2014 17:29, David wrote:
If I stay with Be Unlimited and do nothing I continue to use my present
Be Box for SKY but if I go now I get a Sky SR102.
I know the Sky SR102 is better on one feature in that it will do ADSL
and Fiber.

Leaving that aside are Sky SR101/102 better quality than
Thompson/Technicolour which I assume are a sort of cheap basic product.
Who makes the Sky product please?

Do Plusnet who seem to be picking up 02/Be customers use the
Thompson/Technicolor product?

Regards
David

Yes, Plusnet use the Technicolor router.
I'm no judge of its capabilities compared with other brands/models but I
use one and it works OK (so far).
It's probably pretty basic but then again, so am I!

Old January 13th 14, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 13/01/2014 17:29, David wrote:
If I stay with Be Unlimited and do nothing I continue to use my present
Be Box for SKY but if I go now I get a Sky SR102.
I know the Sky SR102 is better on one feature in that it will do ADSL
and Fiber.

Leaving that aside are Sky SR101/102 better quality than
Thompson/Technicolour which I assume are a sort of cheap basic product.
Who makes the Sky product please?

Do Plusnet who seem to be picking up 02/Be customers use the
Thompson/Technicolor product?

Yes,

I went from the original BeBox Thompson Speedtouch 780WL to Plusnet's
TG582n router configured for FTTC.

With the former I was a quite advanced user of the Speedtouch CLI
(primarily local machine DNS resolving and forwarding to another
internal DNS server for PXE related things) and I was glad to move all
my CLI mods mostly unchanged over to the new router!

smug
Boy, am I glad I pushed off Be on the day when Sky .... :-p
/smug

AIUI It's been tradition* with Sky that their supplied routers are
pretty well locked down to the minimum of user configurable features, to
save them excess work on support calls.

* well, with their past supplied Netgear & Sagem models...

--
Adrian C

Old January 13th 14, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"George Weston" wrote in message
Yes, Plusnet use the Technicolor router.
I'm no judge of its capabilities compared with other brands/models but I
use one and it works OK (so far).
It's probably pretty basic but then again, so am I!

They seem to be fairly good routers, though the user interface seems to be
slow to move from one page to another linked one (eg from the summary to
details page for DSL statistics).

There doesn't seem to be a capability for assigned a fixed IP address for a
printer where any PC that talks to the printer usually needs to be
configured always to access that printer by a consistent IP address. The
remedy is to hard-code the printer itself to a fixed address, rather than
using DHCP but make the router always assign the printer (identified by its
MAC address) the same IP.

Beware that the PlusNet firmware has a feature which always configured the
DSL username and password to the value in PN's database, so if you get a
Technicolor router from a PN customer who no longer needs it (eg because
they have since moved to a different ISP) and connect to the PN network, it
will reset itself to the original customer's details, even if you have
overridden them! Took me a while to work that out! Had to download vanilla,
non-PN, firmware to get round that!

I wonder how Thompson have got permission to use the brand name Technicolor,
given that it has been used for many years to describe the colour cinema
film process. It's like Vax which is now a brand of vacuum cleaner whereas
it was once a type of mainframe computer made by DEC.

Old January 13th 14, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"NY" wrote

I wonder how Thompson have got permission to use the brand name
Technicolor,

given that it has been used for many years to describe the colour cinema
film process. It's like Vax which is now a brand of vacuum cleaner whereas
it was once a type of mainframe computer made by DEC.

If by Brand Name you are thinking of a registered Trade (and now Service)
Mark, it applies to only a specified type of goods etc., see Schlumberger
Windows, TM for direct reading electricity meters. You have to show actual
use and pay a annual fee for each classification to be protected.

So Technicolor may also be used for submarine tropical holidays without any
breach of (film) Technicolor's IP.

--
Mike D

Old January 13th 14, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 13/01/2014 20:53, NY wrote:
"George Weston" wrote in message
Yes, Plusnet use the Technicolor router.
I'm no judge of its capabilities compared with other brands/models but
I use one and it works OK (so far).
It's probably pretty basic but then again, so am I!

They seem to be fairly good routers, though the user interface seems to
be slow to move from one page to another linked one (eg from the summary
to details page for DSL statistics).

There doesn't seem to be a capability for assigned a fixed IP address
for a printer where any PC that talks to the printer usually needs to be
configured always to access that printer by a consistent IP address. The
remedy is to hard-code the printer itself to a fixed address, rather
than using DHCP but make the router always assign the printer
(identified by its MAC address) the same IP.

You can do using speedtouch CLI (via telnet)

:dns server config domain=thishellhole.lan timeout=15 suppress=0
state=enabled trace=disabled syslog=disabled

:dns client config timeout=5 retry=4 search=enabled
list=thishellhole.lan trace=disabled

:dns host add name myprinter addr=192.168.0.67 ttl=0

then the printer can be refered as myprinter.thishellhole.lan

--
Adrian C

Old January 13th 14, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 13/01/14 21:45, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
It's like Vax which is now a brand of vacuum cleaner whereas
it was once a type of mainframe computer made by DEC.

Nothing sucks like a VAX as we used to say...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old January 14th 14, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Adrian C wrote:
[...]

I moved from Be to Sky and, yes, the SR101 doesn't let you do much.
On the other hand, after a longish period of getting less throughput,
particularly upstream, the whole thing has settled down to give me
faster connections and more reliable.

Old January 14th 14, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Apellation Controlee

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:32:12 +0000, George Weston
wrote:

On 13/01/2014 17:29, David wrote:
If I stay with Be Unlimited and do nothing I continue to use my present
Be Box for SKY but if I go now I get a Sky SR102.
I know the Sky SR102 is better on one feature in that it will do ADSL
and Fiber.

Leaving that aside are Sky SR101/102 better quality than
Thompson/Technicolour which I assume are a sort of cheap basic product.
Who makes the Sky product please?

Do Plusnet who seem to be picking up 02/Be customers use the
Thompson/Technicolor product?

Regards
David

Yes, Plusnet use the Technicolor router.
I'm no judge of its capabilities compared with other brands/models but I
use one and it works OK (so far).
It's probably pretty basic but then again, so am I!

The interface on that Technicolor router is just dreadful, added to
which its WiFi capability is dismal.
Old January 14th 14, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Apellation Controlee

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 20:53:55 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"George Weston" wrote in message
Yes, Plusnet use the Technicolor router.
I'm no judge of its capabilities compared with other brands/models but I
use one and it works OK (so far).
It's probably pretty basic but then again, so am I!

They seem to be fairly good routers, though the user interface seems to be
slow to move from one page to another linked one (eg from the summary to
details page for DSL statistics).

There doesn't seem to be a capability for assigned a fixed IP address for a
printer where any PC that talks to the printer usually needs to be
configured always to access that printer by a consistent IP address. The
remedy is to hard-code the printer itself to a fixed address, rather than
using DHCP but make the router always assign the printer (identified by its
MAC address) the same IP.

Once the router has assigned an address to a device there is the means
to make it "sticky". You just have to dig around.