BE to sky move - does one get access to an SMTP server

Old January 21st 14, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MikeJ

Default BE to sky move - does one get access to an SMTP server

I have a mate who is currently with BE (and very happy).
He has had the letter saying O2 customers will move to sky and, although
the letter suggests getting a Hotmail or similar account, I believe O2
customers will either keep an O2 e-mail address or get a similar sky one.
However the letter seems to suggest that when BE customers are moved to
the sky system, the BE e-mails will disapear completely.
He already uses an e-mail on one of my own domains but of course
outgoing e-mails are sent via the BE SMTP server.
My question is that will he have access to an SMTP server? Obviously he
can use webmail but that is very complicated with attachments etc.
Has anyone come up against this yet and know what to do?
Additionally, if one uses Hotmail etc signed into Windows Live Mail, all
one's contacts etc are saved "in the cloud" which makes doing things on
different PCs complicated.
OH DEAR, I see "tears before bed"

Mike
Old January 21st 14, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

MikeJ wrote:
[...]

I moved to Sky from Be in advance of being forcibly moved so am an
'ordinary' Sky subscriber. With a bit of setting up my Exchange server
here is working fine for mail to/from my domain. At the same time they
do provide me with an SMTP server for my 'sky' email address which is
usable from everywhere.

Old January 21st 14, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

In article you wrote:
: My question is that will he have access to an SMTP server? Obviously he
: can use webmail but that is very complicated with attachments etc.
: Has anyone come up against this yet and know what to do?
: Additionally, if one uses Hotmail etc signed into Windows Live Mail, all
: one's contacts etc are saved "in the cloud" which makes doing things on

Sky (Yahoo based!) email uses SSL connections to imap.tools.sky.com (or a
similar pop address) for incoming email and smtp.tools.sky.com for an outgoing
SMTP server.

Note that the SMPT server, by default, CHECKS the sending address and refuses
the email unless this is It IS possible (using the
Yahoo email settings) to authorise other addresses.

For email I can, as an example, (still!!!!) pickup ancient Freeserver email
using pop from my Orange/Freeserver address - thanks Orange! I can SEND email
apparently from this same adress via the Sky SMPT server - but only after
telling it that this is a valid thing for me to do!
Old January 22nd 14, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Graham. wrote:
: Brian, thanks for the heads-up on this, it will save me pain when the
: time comes.

: How many third-party addresses can you register with the Sky/Yahoo
: portal?

It looks unlimited! It is a standard Yahoo Mail feature. I have also found that
one can access Sky email and manage the settings by logging in at
mail.yahoo.com as and the appropriate password - presumably the
same as logging in for email access on the sky.com site.

There, under settings and then accounts, one can add a list of accounts. There
is the (optional) abilitity for Yahoo Mail to collect mail from these accounts
- but I do not use this.

If an outgoing message has an address not on this list it gets rejected with
a suitable status message!
Old January 22nd 14, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:36:19 +0000 (UTC), (Brian
Mc) wrote:

Graham. wrote:
: Brian, thanks for the heads-up on this, it will save me pain when the
: time comes.

: How many third-party addresses can you register with the Sky/Yahoo
: portal?

It looks unlimited! It is a standard Yahoo Mail feature. I have also found that
one can access Sky email and manage the settings by logging in at
mail.yahoo.com as and the appropriate password - presumably the
same as logging in for email access on the sky.com site.

There, under settings and then accounts, one can add a list of accounts. There
is the (optional) abilitity for Yahoo Mail to collect mail from these accounts
- but I do not use this.

If an outgoing message has an address not on this list it gets rejected with
a suitable status message!

I see, it sends a confirmation to prove you have access to the
account. I am practicing on an old Yahoo account I have.
Does your Sky branded Yahoo account tell you that this affects email
sent via 'smtp.tools.sky.com'? I am guessing it doesn't!

Reading the various forums, it appears the Sky first-line staff
haven't a clue about this rather important feature.

I know I could have shortened that last paragraph.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 22nd 14, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Graham. wrote:
: I see, it sends a confirmation to prove you have access to the
: account.

Yes - forgot about that!

: I am practicing on an old Yahoo account I have.
: Does your Sky branded Yahoo account tell you that this affects email
: sent via 'smtp.tools.sky.com'? I am guessing it doesn't!

Logging into "Sky email" via the tab on the www.sky.com site takes one to
exactly the same place as doing it via mail.yahoo.com

: Reading the various forums, it appears the Sky first-line staff
: haven't a clue about this rather important feature.

Not so sure! I went and looked when friend who was moved from O2 to Sky
email was told by Sky email support that it could be done - but not HOW
exactly!. I was convinced it was impossible!

Some email software (Microsoft Live email for one) just says something
unhelpful - "failed to send email" or similar - when the "from"
address is not authorised. If you can get access to the full status
return message text from Yahoo this also mentions that it may be possible!
Old January 22nd 14, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 22/01/14 12:38, Brian Mc wrote:
Graham. wrote:
[...]

I cant exactly answer for this BUT I have seen a case where e.g.
when REDIRECTED TO a generic ISP account and then
downloaded by the user, opens up the possibility to SEND as
through the same ISP's relay.

So that might be worth a try.

--
Ineptocracy