He can't have the latest high speed Broadband

Old January 29th 14, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default He can't have the latest high speed Broadband

I have come across someone who does not gets his phone line from a cabinet
his line goes direct into an exchange because of this he is not cabinet fed
he says he can't have faster than ADSL BB.
Do you think it is true direct lines to an exchange which normally does
faster BB are stuck with ADSL?
(I think he is after Sky BB)
Regards
David

Old January 29th 14, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:01:26 -0000, "David" wrote:

I have come across someone who does not gets his phone line from a cabinet
his line goes direct into an exchange because of this he is not cabinet fed
he says he can't have faster than ADSL BB.
Do you think it is true direct lines to an exchange which normally does
faster BB are stuck with ADSL?

The only way to find the speed is to test it.
http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/ provides a good service.
I get a faster speed with my current BT connection to a cabinet than
my previous connection direct to the exchange.

(I think he is after Sky BB)

In my postcode area BT and Virgin do a lot better than Sky. The user
reports are over 150. Other providers have less users.

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural netwrok http://www.easynn.com
SwingNN Prediction software http://www.swingnn.com

Old January 29th 14, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:01:26 -0000, "David" wrote:

I have come across someone who does not gets his phone line from a cabinet
his line goes direct into an exchange because of this he is not cabinet fed
he says he can't have faster than ADSL BB.
Do you think it is true direct lines to an exchange which normally does
faster BB are stuck with ADSL?

This is probably true. However he can console himself that he has
better speed than the 2Mbps I used to get with ADSL ;-)
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old January 29th 14, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

David wrote:
I have come across someone who does not gets his phone line from a
cabinet his line goes direct into an exchange because of this he is not
cabinet fed he says he can't have faster than ADSL BB.
Do you think it is true direct lines to an exchange which normally does
faster BB are stuck with ADSL?
(I think he is after Sky BB)
Regards
David

The current 'infinity'-type offering is FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet. No
cabinet, no FTTC.

However there are places getting FTTP (where P is premises) and there is
other work going on to look at the best solution for those directly
connected to the exchange.

Old January 29th 14, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 29/01/2014 10:01, David wrote:
I have come across someone who does not gets his phone line from a
cabinet his line goes direct into an exchange because of this he is not
cabinet fed he says he can't have faster than ADSL BB.
Do you think it is true direct lines to an exchange which normally does
faster BB are stuck with ADSL?
(I think he is after Sky BB)
Regards
David

Yes it's unfortunate but true.
Our shop connection was the dogs nadgers for many years with 200m
between us and BT exchange. King of the hill.... until now and FTTC is
now available.

I've seen some reports of Exchanges fitting a box on the outside of the
building for EO lines but these seem to be few and far between however
at some time in the future it's expected that all EO lines benefit from
FTTP connection but these connections are far from the priority it seems
as they already get "good" speeds.

We just gotta twiddle our thumbs. When they get around to it we might
return to top of the speed stakes once more.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Commercial Gym Equipment including Crossfit equipment & WaterRowers

Old January 29th 14, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Rupert Moss-Eccardt" wrote in message
David wrote:
I have come across someone who does not gets his phone line from a
cabinet his line goes direct into an exchange because of this he is not
cabinet fed he says he can't have faster than ADSL BB.
Do you think it is true direct lines to an exchange which normally does
faster BB are stuck with ADSL?
(I think he is after Sky BB)
Regards
David

The current 'infinity'-type offering is FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet. No
cabinet, no FTTC.

In those circumstances - presumably where the line between the exchange and
the premises is very short - wouldn't the exchange be considered as the
cabinet? Wouldn't BT then offer VDSL between the exchange (the point where
fibre terminates) and the premises?

Old January 29th 14, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

David wrote:
I have come across someone who does not gets his phone line from a
cabinet his line goes direct into an exchange because of this he is not
cabinet fed he says he can't have faster than ADSL BB.
Do you think it is true direct lines to an exchange which normally does
faster BB are stuck with ADSL?
(I think he is after Sky BB)
Regards
David

The current 'infinity'-type offering is FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet.
No cabinet, no FTTC.

In those circumstances - presumably where the line between the exchange
and the premises is very short - wouldn't the exchange be considered as
the cabinet? Wouldn't BT then offer VDSL between the exchange (the point
where fibre terminates) and the premises?

There was a time (and it may still be the case) when the access network
frequency plan (ANFP) did not permit exchange-based VDSL. IIRC, the
reason was concern about crosstalk with other exchange-based xDSL services.

Old January 29th 14, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

David wrote:
[...]

So you have the ridiculous situation that if you live *too close* to the
exchange, and your wires run directly to the exchange rather than to a
street cabinet, you can't get fibre? Please tell me this is not true - only
in Britain could we cock things up so badly :-)

Old January 29th 14, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

David wrote:
[...]

That seems to be the case at present but as others have said, BT appears
to be recognising the problem and might do something about it.
Don't hold your breath though...
Old January 29th 14, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

David wrote:
[...]

I can assure you that utter stupidity of this sort is alive and well and
existing on plenty of other countries too.

I had been ADSL for years and my sister was still stuck with Deutsche
Telecom 48k modem.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.