Router & PC think I'm connected but no internet....

Old February 8th 14, 11:34 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

Default Router & PC think I'm connected but no internet....

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a Utility Warehouse wireless router with a spare
Huawei HG523a router, everything appears to set up correctly - all the
settings are matched as far as I can see. However, the router thinks I'm
connected to the internet, the computer thinks I'm connected to the internet
yet I'm unable to view anything.

There's obviously something I've not matched/configured correctly but I
can't find what it might be - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Old February 8th 14, 02:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Dave Saville

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 10:34:07 UTC, "Endulini"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a Utility Warehouse wireless router with a spare
Huawei HG523a router, everything appears to set up correctly - all the
settings are matched as far as I can see. However, the router thinks I'm
connected to the internet, the computer thinks I'm connected to the internet
yet I'm unable to view anything.

Maybe your ISP is looking for the old modem/router - MAC address may
need spoofing.
What does "thinks its connected" mean?
Do you get an external IP for the router?
Is the router getting DNS settings etc.
Does the router produce a log and what does that say?
What error messages are you seeing? On the router? On the PC?

There's obviously something I've not matched/configured correctly but I
can't find what it might be - any suggestions?

Well yes :-)

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old February 8th 14, 08:39 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Ben Myers

"Endulini" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I'm trying to replace a Utility Warehouse wireless router with a spare
Huawei HG523a router, everything appears to set up correctly - all the
settings are matched as far as I can see. However, the router thinks I'm
connected to the internet, the computer thinks I'm connected to the internet
yet I'm unable to view anything.
There's obviously something I've not matched/configured correctly but I
can't find what it might be - any suggestions?
Thanks,

http://192.168.1.1 seems to be what is used to configure the router.

Ben
Old February 8th 14, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Endulini

wrote:

[...]

I Googled spoofing the MAC address but none of the things I found made any
difference, what would your advice on how to do this be?

When I said "it thinks it's connected" I meant the Network Centre in Windows
7 thinks it's connected to the internet, the internet light is lit on the
router and also the web-admin console for the router says it's connected.

Yes, I am getting an external IP although Chrome said it was unable to
resolve the DNS.

The router log doesn't show anything obvious failing although again I did
notice in the console that it hadn't synchronised the time or date.

The error messages are entirely in the browsers and mail clients, saying
they are unable to connect to the server (mail) or resolve the DNS (Chrome)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Old February 9th 14, 10:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
Dave Saville

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:52:06 UTC, "Endulini"
wrote:

I Googled spoofing the MAC address but none of the things I found made any
difference, what would your advice on how to do this be?

When I said "it thinks it's connected" I meant the Network Centre in Windows
7 thinks it's connected to the internet, the internet light is lit on the
router and also the web-admin console for the router says it's connected.

Yes, I am getting an external IP although Chrome said it was unable to
resolve the DNS.

The router log doesn't show anything obvious failing although again I did
notice in the console that it hadn't synchronised the time or date.

The error messages are entirely in the browsers and mail clients, saying
they are unable to connect to the server (mail) or resolve the DNS (Chrome)

Thanks for your help.

First thing is that whatever you are using to read/reply to the
newsgroup is not stripping my sig. So that when read it in a "proper"
newsreader and I try and reply it drops (correctly) everything after
the "-- " line. ie everyting I quote above which I had to do manually.

Some ISPs record the MAC address of the first thing that ever cannects
to them. This, in times past, could just have been a PC, but is more
like;ly to be a router. So if your ISP knew your PC MAC and you them
changed to a router you needed to persuade the router to send the PC
MAC rather than its own. Same thing if router1 was the first thing
seen and you now have router 2. Not all routers allow one to spoof the
MAC.

I assume the router is set for DHCP on the WAN side? Is the IP you get
one that seems likely to have been issued by your ISP?

What is the PC set to with regards to DNS? Just because it may be
using DHCP to get an address it needs to know if you also want DNS
data.

Is the new router on the same LAN address as the old?

Can you ping *by address*? ie try pinging Google's DNS - ping 8.8.8.8.

The "internet light" on the router is more likely to be an idication
that there is an ADSL signal than it is actually connected to your
ISP.

HTH

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old February 9th 14, 05:46 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

Hi,

The first thing it saw was the router that works, so maybe I'll have to work
out how to get my HG532 to spoof that MAC address (if I can).

The IP address it's giving me looks to me like an ISP address - at least, an
internal network one I would expect to start 198.168.X.X but this starts
2.101.X.X

I can successfully ping 8.8.8.8 but the LAN address for the new router is
different from the old router.

The PC is set to obtain the DNS server address automatically - which I
presume will be the LAN address of the router?

Thanks.

Old February 9th 14, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Dave Saville

On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 16:46:20 UTC, "Endulini"
wrote:

Hi,

The first thing it saw was the router that works, so maybe I'll have to work
out how to get my HG532 to spoof that MAC address (if I can).

The IP address it's giving me looks to me like an ISP address - at least, an
internal network one I would expect to start 198.168.X.X but this starts
2.101.X.X

Some ISP's use private network addresses which is not good. :-)

I can successfully ping 8.8.8.8 but the LAN address for the new router is
different from the old router.

Then it's a DNS problem of some sort. If you can ping outside then the
LAN addressing and routing is OK.

The PC is set to obtain the DNS server address automatically - which I
presume will be the LAN address of the router?

Should be. You could try setting the PC to use 8.8.8.8 rather than
getting it automatically. There is nothing to say you have to use your
ISP's - Sometimes it is a good thing not to.

Not something silly like the router blocking DNS in the firewall is
it?

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old February 9th 14, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Endulini

I think that's the eureka moment, set the router to use 8.8.8.8 and bingo,
full access back

Thanks for your help Dave - much appreciated

Old February 9th 14, 10:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 09/02/14 19:59, Endulini wrote:
I think that's the eureka moment, set the router to use 8.8.8.8 and
bingo, full access back

Excellent. Do Dilbert's "Engineer's victory dance" (look it up).

But now here's the smart part; work out what went wrong. It's clear
that your problem was failure to find a working DNS server. Why did
that happen? It shouldn't have. A good learning experience awaits you,
now that you can use t' Interweb to guide your diagnosis.

We'd help here too, in response to well-reasoned questions.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England