High speed broadband in rural area

Old February 9th 14, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default High speed broadband in rural area

Some friends of mine live out in the country in North Yorkshire and are apparently not included in the Government's initiative to provide fast broadband in rural areas.

There is talk of someone taking the initiative in a private venture to supply high speed broadband to the village by taking a signal from a dish in the Castle Howard area and distributing that round the village.

I'm wondering how this will work.

I presume the village will receive it via microwave from the dish at Castle Howard - but how will it be distributed round the village from there? Presumably it will be wireless? Is this "wi-max" that I've heard about and if so, what kind of equipment will they need to receive it? Does it require a roof aerial?
Old February 9th 14, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"George Weston" wrote in message
On 09/02/2014 19:34, wrote:
Some friends of mine live out in the country in North
Yorkshire and are apparently not included in the
Government's initiative to provide fast broadband in
rural areas.

There is talk of someone taking the initiative in a
private venture to supply high speed broadband to the
village by taking a signal from a dish in the Castle
Howard area and distributing that round the village.

I'm wondering how this will work.

I presume the village will receive it via microwave from
the dish at Castle Howard - but how will it be
distributed round the village from there? Presumably it
will be wireless? Is this "wi-max" that I've heard about
and if so, what kind of equipment will they need to
receive it? Does it require a roof aerial?

Have a look at this:
http://projects.ruralbroadband.com/c...orth+Yorkshire

North Yorks County Council decided a few years ago to put
high speed (well, not that high) links into all schools and
libraries across the county. Some of these were quite remote
and needed radio links, so they offset the cost by offering
to allow villagers to have Interweb access as well and NYNet
was born. It has won them awards all over the place.

Go to Rievieux Abbey and look around at the houses in the
village and you will see external wi-fi aerials and
licence-free link panels mostly on the bottom of the poles
of the TV aerials all over the place. Quite discrete, don't
harm the character of the area, and everyone is happy.

I suspect the same may be happening around Castle Howard.

The Rural Broadband Partnership is, I believe, a commercial
operation albeit to where NYCC may have subbed the work so
as to save money.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 10th 14, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

On 09/02/2014 19:34, wrote:
Some friends of mine live out in the country in North Yorkshire and are
apparently not included in the Government's initiative to provide fast
broadband in rural areas.

Which village is this? I live near Castle Howard, though in a village that
gets about 5 Mbps ADSL. I wonder where around here has got such poor ADSL
that it needs a community scheme with the signal coming from CH. There's an
exchange in Whitwell on the Hill and one in Coneysthorpe. I know
Coneysthorpe exchange feeds as far away as Terrington (though the ADSL is
pretty dire at about 1 Mbps in a remote farmhouse that I know near there).

These community schemes work well. I know of someone in Rosedale, at the
foot of Rosedale Chimney hill, and his phone service was diabolical: "frying
eggs" noises on the phone line and no hope of ADSL (though that didn't stop
BT Broadband charging him for a service that he wasn't receiving). I put him
in touch with NY Net or whichever community scheme serves Rosedale, and he
is very happy with the service. I'm not sure how much it costs compared with
ADSL.

With the roll out of FTTC, do BT Openreach only offer VDSL from there to the
house or would they (for a lower price) offer ADSL if you weren't so
bothered about speed? At least the length of copper from the cabinet is less
than from the exchange, for most people.

Old February 10th 14, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David P

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 22:19:44 +0000, Woody wrote:

"George Weston" wrote in message
North Yorks County Council decided a few years ago to put high speed
(well, not that high) links into all schools and libraries across the
county. Some of these were quite remote and needed radio links, so they
offset the cost by offering to allow villagers to have Interweb access
as well and NYNet was born. It has won them awards all over the place.

Not in all villages where there are schools, its certainly not available
in ours nor is the high speed broadband via land or wifi as although
there is a school, village hall, pubs and small businesses we are not
deemed good enough to have it.

This is despite being less than 6 miles as crow flies from one of the
larger towns and whose MP is heavily promoting its benefits.

--
David P
Old February 10th 14, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 09/02/2014 19:34, wrote:
Some friends of mine live out in the country in North Yorkshire and are apparently not included in the Government's initiative to provide fast broadband in rural areas.

Worth double checking on the Superfat North Yorkshire website (typo
Freudian but left since I reckon it largely exists to pay BT to cherry
pick the most profitable areas and leave everyone else high and dry).

http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com/home

There is talk of someone taking the initiative in a private venture to supply high speed broadband to the village by taking a signal from a dish in the Castle Howard area and distributing that round the village.

There are a few like that in Hambleton where the aluminium wires BT say
don't exist result in terrible broadband speeds. Basically a microwave
link to either a school or government core network and then a repeater
in the village that broadcasts a sort of super Wifi ~20Mbps. Speed is OK
but price is a bit steep unless it is for your business use.

It is interesting to note that BT have targeted some of the areas with
these DIY broadband wireless initiatives in effect chopping the legs off
it as a business proposition for the local entrepreneurs who did it

http://www.clannet.co.uk/new-wireless-hotspots/

I just about get 5Mbps on basic wired ADSL about 4 miles from the
exchange and on the wrong side of the beck. In theory we will have FTTC
but there is no cabinet in my village nearest one is 4 miles away

I would get slightly better performance on my Three dongle but the data
charges sting a bit. Check coverage you might be lucky too. YMMV

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage

I'm wondering how this will work.

I presume the village will receive it via microwave from the dish at Castle Howard - but how will it be distributed round the village from there? Presumably it will be wireless? Is this "wi-max" that I've heard about and if so, what kind of equipment will they need to receive it? Does it require a roof aerial?

It might need an outside aerial it will certainly require clear line of
sight for the transmitting node.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 10th 14, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for those interesting replies

The village is Leavening

They currently get 1 meg speed, 2 megs on a good day
Old February 10th 14, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

wrote in message
Thanks for those interesting replies

The village is Leavening

They currently get 1 meg speed, 2 megs on a good day

Would Leavening have line of sight to Castle Howard? There don't seem to be
any *significant* hills in the way, but Google Streetview from roads around
there don't actually have an unimpeded view across the Derwent valley to CH.
Maybe there will be a repeater mast on a nearby hill to receive the signal
and rebroadcast it locally.

Good luck to them. At least it should be faster than the other non-ADSL
solution - satellite. My experience of that is that for bulk data transfer
that doesn't require frequent acknowledgement of packets, it's fast. But it
also suffers badly because of the long latency between sending a request for
data (eg a web page) and the data actually arriving.

Old February 10th 14, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:33:22 up 40 days, 12 min, 7 users, load average: 0.99, 0.65, 0.54