Fibre broadband speed

Old February 10th 14, 07:52 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
The Todal

Default Fibre broadband speed

I have taken out a (home) subscription to fibre broadband. It seems that
BT Openreach are responsible for the connection itself even though my
ISP is a different organisation.

The speed of my connection was significantly below what I had been led
to expect, both for upload and download. I complained. The speed of
downloads has now been increased slightly and the speed of uploads by a
considerable amount.

My question is, will this speed increase be at the expense of some other
unlucky customer who now finds that his speed will have reduced? And if
so, does this seem legal, honest and honourable on the part of the
suppliers?
Old February 10th 14, 07:54 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Ribbens

On 2014-02-10, The Todal wrote:
I have taken out a (home) subscription to fibre broadband. It seems that
BT Openreach are responsible for the connection itself even though my
ISP is a different organisation.

The speed of my connection was significantly below what I had been led
to expect, both for upload and download. I complained. The speed of
downloads has now been increased slightly and the speed of uploads by a
considerable amount.

My question is, will this speed increase be at the expense of some other
unlucky customer who now finds that his speed will have reduced?

No.

It might be at the expense of the connection being a bit less reliable,
possibly.
Old February 10th 14, 08:03 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
The Todal

On 2014-02-10, The Todal wrote:
I have taken out a (home) subscription to fibre broadband. It seems that
BT Openreach are responsible for the connection itself even though my
ISP is a different organisation.

The speed of my connection was significantly below what I had been led
to expect, both for upload and download. I complained. The speed of
downloads has now been increased slightly and the speed of uploads by a
considerable amount.

My question is, will this speed increase be at the expense of some other
unlucky customer who now finds that his speed will have reduced?

No.

It might be at the expense of the connection being a bit less reliable,
possibly.

I hope you are right. I have a close neighbour who also has fibre
broadband. At the same time that my broadband speed increased, his seems
to have decreased and I was wondering if that was a coincidence. I
assume we are both connected to the same telephone exchange.
Old February 10th 14, 08:54 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 2014-02-10, The Todal wrote:
[...]

Connection speed or average throughput? I can imagine the latter might
well be affected if you are a fairly heavy user.

If his was faster than yours to begin with then maybe since there could
be a choke point somewhere along the path back to the wider pipes. I am
aware that in my village when they install a new ADSL subscriber they
tend to break someone else's connection as a direct result. It got os
bad at one point that they bused Lancastrians in for a couple of weeks
to sort out the chaos. Every faster connection uses away some capacity
and it is noticeably slower at this time of night when kiddies are
streaming heaven knows what than in the morning when things are quiet.

The record was a friend who spent nearly 3 weeks fighting to get back to
a point where the phone would ring! Curiously you could ring them up on
a mobile to say "pick up your landline" and get connected. Weird!!!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 10th 14, 09:02 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"The Todal" wrote in message
I have taken out a (home) subscription to fibre broadband.
It seems that BT Openreach are responsible for the
connection itself even though my ISP is a different
organisation.

The speed of my connection was significantly below what I
had been led to expect, both for upload and download. I
complained. The speed of downloads has now been increased
slightly and the speed of uploads by a considerable
amount.

My question is, will this speed increase be at the expense
of some other unlucky customer who now finds that his
speed will have reduced? And if so, does this seem legal,
honest and honourable on the part of the suppliers?

You need to clarify a bit. Do you have Fibre To The Cabinet
(FTTC) in which case how far is it from your termination to
said cabinet, or Fibre To The Home (FTTH) in which case it
should be lightning fast.

If FTTC how long has it been running? The modem on the end
of the cable can take a little while - several days at
least - to train to the line characteristics whence you
should see an improvement. Try the BTOR site to see what it
thinks you should be getting. If it indicates to you that
you should expect, say, 22Mb (which is not unusual on FTTC)
and you are only getting 8Mb then I would suggest you hammer
your ISP as there is a question of Breach of Contract. If
the indication is 22Mb and you are getting 18Mb I would just
put it down to experience and wait a month or two to see
what happens.

Who is your ISP incidently and on which BT exchange do you
reside?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 10th 14, 09:25 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
martin

On 10/02/2014 19:52, The Todal wrote:
I have taken out a (home) subscription to fibre broadband. It seems that
BT Openreach are responsible for the connection itself even though my
ISP is a different organisation.

The speed of my connection was significantly below what I had been led
to expect, both for upload and download. I complained. The speed of
downloads has now been increased slightly and the speed of uploads by a
considerable amount.

My question is, will this speed increase be at the expense of some other
unlucky customer who now finds that his speed will have reduced? And if
so, does this seem legal, honest and honourable on the part of the
suppliers?

Who's the ISP? Zen guarantee no contention on their network (but they
cost a lot more than average).
Old February 10th 14, 09:39 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
The Todal wrote:

I hope you are right. I have a close neighbour who also has fibre
broadband. At the same time that my broadband speed increased, his seems
to have decreased and I was wondering if that was a coincidence.

The improvement in your speed is unlikely to be the cause, but as more
customers are connected to the same cabinet the speed for the existing
customers will fall because of crosstalk. This may be improved once
BT implement "vectoring".

-- Richard
Old February 10th 14, 09:58 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

The Todal (for it is he) wrote:

The speed of downloads has now been increased slightly and the speed of
uploads by a considerable amount.

There are different profiles a provider can apply to your line, eg 40/2,
40/10 and 80/20. Perhaps they changed your profile.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:42:27 up 40 days, 21 min, 7 users, load average: 0.47, 0.51, 0.53

Old February 11th 14, 12:57 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article , Richard Tobin
writes
I hope you are right. I have a close neighbour who also has fibre
broadband. At the same time that my broadband speed increased, his seems
to have decreased and I was wondering if that was a coincidence.

The improvement in your speed is unlikely to be the cause, but as more
customers are connected to the same cabinet the speed for the existing
customers will fall because of crosstalk. This may be improved once BT
implement "vectoring".

I'm on Virgin cable and I find my speeds drop quite a bit when all the
kiddies come home from school and start to do their homework, now at
five to one in the small hours my checks show 62 meg on a 60 meg
connection.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old February 11th 14, 07:09 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Michael Swift" wrote in message
In article , Richard
Tobin writes
I hope you are right. I have a close neighbour who also
has fibre
broadband. At the same time that my broadband speed
increased, his seems
to have decreased and I was wondering if that was a
coincidence.

The improvement in your speed is unlikely to be the cause,
but as more
customers are connected to the same cabinet the speed for
the existing
customers will fall because of crosstalk. This may be
improved once BT
implement "vectoring".

I'm on Virgin cable and I find my speeds drop quite a bit
when all the kiddies come home from school and start to do
their homework, now at five to one in the small hours my
checks show 62 meg on a 60 meg connection.

You will find Mike that most of the time any speedchecker
will show your download speed as essentially correct or
better. In the case of VM it is further up the chain where
the bottlenecks occur. I have just run a test on my 30Mb
feed and it shows almost 33Mb - it is not unusual to get
even near 40 - but any surfing even at 07:10 is still
delayed.