How do I convert my second Router into an Access Point

Old February 11th 14, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default How do I convert my second Router into an Access Point

Hi everyone, February 11, 2014

I would like to use my Sitecom router as an access point. Is this the way to do it?

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and I have a Ubee UVW-3200 cable Modem/Router.. On port 1, I connect a second Sitecom Wi-Wi Router AC1750 WLR-8100 connected to its WAN port.

I would like my Sitecom Router to become an Access Point with the same (2.4 GHz) SSID as the Ubee Modem/Router, so that I can "roam" throughout the house without losing signal. The 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi of the Sitecom AP should still be useable when within reach.

Current configuration settings (Sitecom as Router):
Ubee Router Sitecom Router

LAN IP adres: 192.168.178.1 192.168.10.1
DHCP Server: Enabled Enabled
Ipv4 address: 192.168.178.10 192.168.178.10
DHCP Status: No DHCP clients Show all clients
2.4 GHz Radio: Disabled Enabled
5.0 GHz Radio: N/A Enabled
2.4 GHz - SSID: Ziggo5C5CC Sitecom0F7FF1
2.4 GHz channel: Disabled Automatic
5.0 GHz channel: N/A Automatic
2.4 GHz security: WPA+PSK WPA+PSK
2.4 GHz password Ubee's own PW Sitecom's own PW
5.0 GHz - SSID: N/A Sitecom0F7FF2
5.0 GHz security: N/A WPA+PSK
5.0 GHz password: N/A Sitecom's own PW
Network connection: LAN Port 1 WAN Port

Proposed configuration settings (Sitecom as Access Point):
Ubee Router Sitecom Access Point

LAN IP address: 192.168.178.1 192.168.178.2
DHCP Server: Enabled Disabled
Ipv4 address: 192.168.178.10 N/A
DHCP Status: Show all clients N/A
2.4 GHz Radio: Enabled Enabled
5.0 GHz Radio: N/A Enabled
2.4 GHz - SSID: Ziggo5C5CC Ziggo5C5CC
2.4 GHz channel: 1, 6, 11, or Auto 1, 6, 11, or Auto
5.0 GHz channel: N/A Automatic
2.4 GHz security: WPA+PSK WPA+PSK
2.4 GHz - password: Ubee's own PW Ubee's own PW
5.0 GHz SSID: N/A Sitecom0F7FF2
5.0 GHz security: N/A WPA+PSK
5.0 GHz password N/A Sitecom's own PW
Network connection: LAN Port 1 LAN Port 1

Questions:
1. Will this configuration work as intended?
2. Can I have the same 2.4 GHz SSID (Ziggo5C5CC) on my Ubee Router and my Sitecom AP?
3. Will I still have cabled internet on my Sitecom AP?
4. Will I still have Wi-Fi internet on 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz of my Sitecom AP?
5. With its DHCP disabled, can I still acces the Sitecom AP configuration page through my PC browser when using the Windows 7 TCP/IPv4 configuration of "obtaining an IP address automatically", or do I have to use the Windows 7 PC TCP/Ipv4 configuration of "use the following IP address:", and enter the new Sitecom LAN IP address of: 192.168.178.2?

If I do not do things right, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Rolf Schreiner

Old February 11th 14, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

(for it is he) wrote:

Proposed configuration settings (Sitecom as Access Point):
Ubee Router Sitecom Access Point

LAN IP address: 192.168.178.1 192.168.178.2
DHCP Server: Enabled Disabled
Ipv4 address: 192.168.178.10 N/A

Doubt the Ubee needs two IP addresses?

2.4 GHz channel: 1, 6, 11, or Auto 1, 6, 11, or Auto

I would set the channels manually. Two on auto in the same band could end up
hopping all over each other.

5.0 GHz channel: N/A Automatic
2.4 GHz security: WPA+PSK WPA+PSK

You might want to check the advanced settings here and make sure they match
[WPA? WPA2? TKIP? AES?].

5.0 GHz SSID: N/A Sitecom0F7FF2

Make the settings on here the same as the 2.4GHz ones, that way it's more
seamless - however the client devices you're using may not be clever enough
for this, eg they may stick to the [presumably] more congested 2.4GHz and
not roam to 5GHz.

2. Can I have the same 2.4 GHz SSID (Ziggo5C5CC) on my Ubee Router and my
Sitecom AP?

Yes.

3. Will I still have cabled internet on my Sitecom AP?

I guess all ports except the Sitecom's WAN will be LAN ports, bridged
together as a switch, so yes. The Sitecom's WAN becomes redundant.

4. Will I still have Wi-Fi internet on 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz of my Sitecom
AP?

Yes

5. With its DHCP disabled, can I still acces the Sitecom AP
configuration page through my PC browser when using the Windows 7 TCP/IPv4
configuration of "obtaining an IP address automatically", or do I have to
use the Windows 7 PC TCP/Ipv4 configuration of "use the following IP
address:", and enter the new Sitecom LAN IP address of: 192.168.178.2?

Type the Sitecom's LAN IP into your browser's address bar. The end. No need
to change any settings on your machine, because you're proposing to connect
the two LANs together and put them in the same subnet.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:04:10 up 40 days, 19:42, 7 users, load average: 0.24, 0.42, 0.40

Old February 23rd 14, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Woody wrote:

"Jim" wrote:

use an wifi range-extender like
the TP-Link WA850RE or WA750RE.

Ah, but they don't always work.

My router is in the next room two plugs and about 3m from
here on the same ring, but in between sits the fuseboard
with the meter on the other side of it and no way will mains
signalling work.

What's powerline got to do with it? The WA*50RE devices are like a WiFi
bridge they receive on one channel and re-transit on another.

Old February 23rd 14, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

You can turn spare BT Hubs into switches / wi-fi access point by

1. Change the IP address (to 192.168.1.nnn)

2. Disbale the routing function.

3. Connect it to the router in use.

Old February 23rd 14, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:27:19 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Woody wrote:

"Jim" wrote:

use an wifi range-extender like
the TP-Link WA850RE or WA750RE.

Ah, but they don't always work.

My router is in the next room two plugs and about 3m from
here on the same ring, but in between sits the fuseboard
with the meter on the other side of it and no way will mains
signalling work.

What's powerline got to do with it? The WA*50RE devices are like a WiFi
bridge they receive on one channel and re-transit on another.

Wireless to wireless range extenders do work, but you get half speed.
If it's feasible to run an ethernet cable (or powerline link) to where
you want the second wireless point, that's a better way to do it.

Rod.
Old February 24th 14, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson

In message , Roderick
Stewart writes
wrote:

Woody wrote:

"Jim" wrote:

use an wifi range-extender like
the TP-Link WA850RE or WA750RE.

Ah, but they don't always work.

My router is in the next room two plugs and about 3m from
here on the same ring, but in between sits the fuseboard
with the meter on the other side of it and no way will mains
signalling work.

What's powerline got to do with it? The WA*50RE devices are like a WiFi
bridge they receive on one channel and re-transit on another.

Wireless to wireless range extenders do work, but you get half speed.
If it's feasible to run an ethernet cable (or powerline link) to where
you want the second wireless point, that's a better way to do it.

As I understand it, range extenders time share between receive and
transmit on the same channel - hence the speed reduction.
--
Ian
Old February 27th 14, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:17:15 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
.. .

Surely easier to use an wifi range-extender like
the TP-Link WA850RE or WA750RE. Neat wallwart
construction and they only cost a few pounds.

Ah, but they don't always work.

My router is in the next room two plugs and about 3m from
here on the same ring, but in between sits the fuseboard
with the meter on the other side of it and no way will mains
signalling work.

I'm delighted to hear it. As a user of HF radio
I detest these RF polluters.

--
:: Jim,

NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form:

http://www.thebigoptout.com/opt-out-letter/
Old February 27th 14, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

wrote:

Woody wrote:

"Jim" wrote:

use an wifi range-extender like
the TP-Link WA850RE or WA750RE.

Ah, but they don't always work.

My router is in the next room two plugs and about 3m from
here on the same ring, but in between sits the fuseboard
with the meter on the other side of it and no way will mains
signalling work.

What's powerline got to do with it? The WA*50RE devices are like a WiFi
bridge they receive on one channel and re-transit on another.

Retransmit on the same channel, surely? Mine does anyway
as far as I know. This can be a problem where the direct signal
interferes with the re-transmitted one, so they may require
careful placement to get the best from them.