WIFi problem Netgear WN3000RP

Old February 16th 14, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default WIFi problem Netgear WN3000RP

Router is Vigor 2830n configured with WPA/PSK. Adequate WiFi service in
some parts of the building. So want to use Netgear WN3000RP to extend
service.

Set up Laptop_1 with correct WiFi settings: confirm that it has a good
connection to router. IP of router is 192.168.0.254. Router confirms
that this laptop is connected (Status code C).

Plug in WN3000RP close to router, per instructions. This is to ensure
the extender can make a reliable connectiion to the router, for initial
setup. Extender is less than a metre from the router (but have tried
diferent distances).

Wait for status light to go green. Press reset, wait for status light
to flash, then release reset. Status light flashes yellow for several
seconds, then green, then becomes steady green. This achieves factory
reset.

Connect Laptop_2 by Ethernet cable to RJ45 port on Netgear WN3000RP;
open browser at 192.168.1.250. (Note that this also works if Laptop_2
uses WiFi - it connects to default wireless setting Netgear_EXT, so
proves that Negear wireless does work.)

Follow instructions. Netgear finds wireless signal from Vigor,
recognises the security mode, and asks for key. Put in correct key.
Tell it to use same security settings for extended network. It explains
that a new network called Vigor2830_EXT will be created. Continue.

Netgear waits 2 minutes, then says it cannot make a connection between
itself and Vigor - suggests I input key again - which I do. Still no
connection.

With Laptop_3, look for Wifi signals. Vigor 2830 is present, as
expected. Netgear_EXT is not present, but Vigor2830_EXT is present,
using same WiFi channel as Vigor2830 (as expected). Laptop_3 can
connect to Vigor2830_EXT using known key, so the key put into the
Netgear must be correct. But there is no connection through this to the
Vigor.

The Vigor wireless "Station List" shows the Netgear device (identifiable
by its MAC access) with status code N meaning "Connecting" - it never
progresses from this.

I did once get this to work by changing to WEP security and back to WPA,
but I suspect it was just coincidence.

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work, please?

--
Graham J

Old February 16th 14, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Default WIFi problem Netgear WN3000RP slightly OT

On 16/02/14 08:51, Graham J wrote:
Router is Vigor 2830n configured with WPA/PSK. Adequate WiFi service in
some parts of the building. So want to use Netgear WN3000RP to extend
service.

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work, please?

I have an old vigor 2820n which is now just an AP. I want to access my
backup server in a garage remote from the house. So bought a cheap AP
tplink IIRC . There is no way it would work with WPA/WPA2/PSK choose
what I did wep worked though.

I bought a Draytek 700 AP and it worked first time with WPA2/PSK and is
still working 2 years later. I leave you to draw your own conclusions
from the above.

Old February 16th 14, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

grinch wrote:
On 16/02/14 08:51, Graham J wrote:
Router is Vigor 2830n configured with WPA/PSK. Adequate WiFi service in
some parts of the building. So want to use Netgear WN3000RP to extend
service.

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work, please?

I have an old vigor 2820n which is now just an AP. I want to access my
backup server in a garage remote from the house. So bought a cheap AP
tplink IIRC . There is no way it would work with WPA/WPA2/PSK choose
what I did wep worked though.

I bought a Draytek 700 AP and it worked first time with WPA2/PSK and is
still working 2 years later. I leave you to draw your own conclusions
from the above.

Normally I assume Netgear has a better reputation than TP-Link - perhaps
that's not justified ...

--
Graham J

Old February 16th 14, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 16/02/2014 13:58, Graham J wrote:
grinch wrote:
On 16/02/14 08:51, Graham J wrote:
Router is Vigor 2830n configured with WPA/PSK. Adequate WiFi service in
some parts of the building. So want to use Netgear WN3000RP to extend
service.

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work, please?

I have an old vigor 2820n which is now just an AP. I want to access my
backup server in a garage remote from the house. So bought a cheap AP
tplink IIRC

On an aside, I've given up with wireless for house to garage and for a
few years stuck to an ethernet cable in a 12m length of surface run
water pipe. Then we had some close lightning strikes and me worrying
about fried interfaces, so last week found me an old office managed
router with SFP port ports, a new 99 24 port Gigabit TP-Link switch
with the same, a couple of Cisco SFP Fibre tranceivers (3 each, ebay)
and a 30m length of twin fibre (15).

Now got screaming Gigabit down the garden path. Beat that wireless! :-)

--
Adrian C

Old February 17th 14, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work, please?

My experience to date only consists of two attempts at installing these, and
on neither occasion did they work as expected. One didn't work at all, the
other only worked for about 20 minutes and then refused to work again. I
lost interest at that point, so recommend either powerline, proper ethernet
or more capable wireless kit [ie something that does either WDS or wireless
client bridge].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:01:36 up 46 days, 14:40, 7 users, load average: 0.44, 0.43, 0.40

Old February 17th 14, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Fields

Graham J wrote:

Router is Vigor 2830n configured with WPA/PSK. Adequate WiFi service in
some parts of the building. So want to use Netgear WN3000RP to extend
service.

I did once get this to work by changing to WEP security and back to WPA,
but I suspect it was just coincidence.

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work, please?

I was given a webcam, only to find it simply wouldn't connect over
WiFi. By starting again with no security at all, and working up the
WEP/WPA/WPA2 chain, I discovered the webcam didn't like the then
current 64-character key, but worked with a 63-character one.

Knocked one character off the current key for all devices, and
everything worked....

You might like to start with a short WPA2 key, and build up from
there.

--
Terry Fields

Old February 17th 14, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Terry Fields wrote:
Graham J wrote:

Router is Vigor 2830n configured with WPA/PSK. Adequate WiFi service in
some parts of the building. So want to use Netgear WN3000RP to extend
service.

I did once get this to work by changing to WEP security and back to WPA,
but I suspect it was just coincidence.

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work, please?

I was given a webcam, only to find it simply wouldn't connect over
WiFi. By starting again with no security at all, and working up the
WEP/WPA/WPA2 chain, I discovered the webcam didn't like the then
current 64-character key, but worked with a 63-character one.

Knocked one character off the current key for all devices, and
everything worked....

You might like to start with a short WPA2 key, and build up from
there.

The key is quite short - actually 13 characters - the same length (and
value) as was at one point used for WEP at that site. But it does
contain an underscore, so perhaps that's the problem. Curiously it has
worked in the past, with a basic Netgear router rather than the Vigor -
so maybe the security relies on the router being Netgear ...???

--
Graham J

Old February 17th 14, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Fields

Graham J wrote:

Terry Fields wrote:

You might like to start with a short WPA2 key, and build up from
there.

The key is quite short - actually 13 characters - the same length (and
value) as was at one point used for WEP at that site. But it does
contain an underscore, so perhaps that's the problem. Curiously it has
worked in the past, with a basic Netgear router rather than the Vigor -
so maybe the security relies on the router being Netgear ...???

Try using hexadecimal characters (0-9, A-F)(apologies if you already
know this).

--
Terry Fields
Old February 17th 14, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Terry Fields wrote:
Graham J wrote:

Terry Fields wrote:

You might like to start with a short WPA2 key, and build up from
there.

The key is quite short - actually 13 characters - the same length (and
value) as was at one point used for WEP at that site. But it does
contain an underscore, so perhaps that's the problem. Curiously it has
worked in the past, with a basic Netgear router rather than the Vigor -
so maybe the security relies on the router being Netgear ...???

Try using hexadecimal characters (0-9, A-F)(apologies if you already
know this).

One might expect that if using WEP. But when using WPA/PSK - which the
device correctly reports as the mode in use - that should not be
necessary, and wasn't in the past when it did work.

I wonder whether the device contains two internal transceivers, and the
one which is used to communicate with the the router, its receiver has
failed - clearly its transmitter is OK because the router sees it and
reports "Connecting" ...

--
Graham J