TG585 terminology help

Old February 23rd 14, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Wilkes

Default TG585 terminology help

I'm having trouble getting my head round the terms "Maximum Bandwidth" and
"Bandwidth" in the following status information from my Thomson TG585 adsl
modem.

DSL type, no problem, I make this ADSL 2+.

I was expecting "Maximum Bandwidth" to be my sync speed and "Bandwidth" to
be the available bandwidth but the marked difference between these figures
doesn't make sense to me.

Could I be on a rate limited interface?

SNR margins suggest I've got a very clean line (I'm about half a mile from
the exchange).

Searches have not helped narrow this down - too much information.

Can anyone explain the meanings and the wide difference between the rates?

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,096 / 20,876
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 934 / 12,287
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10.5 / 25.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 18.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 16.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / GSPN

TIA,

--
Tom
Old February 23rd 14, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 23/02/2014 19:27, Tom Wilkes wrote:
[...]

I'll give you my take on this based on my observations of my own router.
Can't vouch for its 100% accuracy - but it seems reasonable to me.

Bandwidth Up/Down is the current synch speed. If you do a speed test,
your actual throughput will be less than this.

Maximum Bandwidth Up/Down is calculated by the router as being the max
speeds the line can stand, based on the current synch speeds and the SN
margins. [The bigger the margins, the bigger the difference between
current synch speeds and max speeds. The target is often a margin of 6dB.]

If you monitor the status over a period of time, you will probably see
variations in the SN margins and max speed figures.

If you were to unplug the router from your phone line and then reconnect
(or just re-boot the router) it *may* then synch at higher speeds - or
it may not. AIUI the max allowable synch speeds are determined by the IP
profile of your line (not displayed on your router). You can see that -
provided your ISP has provisioned your line on the BT Wholesale Network
- by going to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm If you
run the speed test there and then click on the button for further
diagnostics, it will display the up and down IP profiles (among other
things).

Your ISP may be able to get the profile adjusted if there is
consistently an excessive margin.

What is the maximum speed provided by the service you subscribe to? If
you are already near to that, you won't get any more regardless of how
much spare SN margin you might have.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 23rd 14, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Wilkes

Roger Mills wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the pointers, those plus some searches for generic information
has given me more insight.

Yes, I think max b/w is extrapolated from the line params to see what it
should be able to do.

The diff between that and the actual implies either a very screwed up
profile or a restricted rate set at the DSLAM.

I was on a restricted service with BE (12MBits) at lower cost and have
very recently been force migrated to Sky to what should be an unlimited
service so any restriction should have been removed but I may still be in
training. Also, I believe there was a physical disconnect (temporary loss
of voice and BB service at the time of switch implies this) so I am
assuming the line has been moved to different LLU BB equipment in which
case they would have to take positive (negative?) steps to move the
restriction to the new equipment.

Now that I understand the Max b/w situation better I can approach the ISP
to see what their response is.

I have still to generate a Sky login to approach them but a close
neighbour's property has a service estimate of 12.6-18.5Mbps so I think
summut is up. I have done a few modem reboots and am operating from the
master socket test socket via filter.

Thanks for the kitz/BTWl link, very useful and the most accurate speed
test ever but being Sky I'm on LLU and the additional diagnostics tests
are not available. Bookmarked though for use on other services.

Now forearmed I will approach the beast that is Sky.

Thanks again.

--
Tom