Tiscali failing to deliver all emails

Old February 24th 14, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Tiscali failing to deliver all emails

NY wrote :
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 22/02/2014 23:08, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote

My Freeserve (Wanadoo, Orange) email addresses must be coming up to 15
years old. Excellent spam filters, not just a black hole, infinite sub
addresses because the bit before the @ can be anything I choose.
Not bad for freebies from PAYG dial up accounts.

Do Freeserve still have the stupid restriction that you can only access their
servers from a Freeserve connection - which means that if you set up a laptop
to read POP email and send SMTP mail, you cannot use it if you take your
laptop away from home and connect via a non-Freeserve account.

I remember being driven mad because sending email would only allow you to
send via their own server (so you can't send via another SMTP server that you
happen to have an account with) but you cannot access the Freeserve SMTP from
any connect other than Freeserve's - catch 22: there is no setting which will
work in all situations. I think they had set their server so it was totally
invisible (it didn't even respond to a ping on the relevant port) from
outside Freeserve.

Most ISPs' SMTP servers allow you to connect from any connection, providing
you set authentication on and supply a valid username/password. Not so for
Freeserve. The only resort when you are away from home is to use webmail,
which is a nuisance because you don't then get a copy of the email in your
sent items folder on your PC (in Windows (Live) Mail, Thunderbird or whatever
client you use) unless you remember to send yourself a copy.

I'm sure Freeserve is good for many things, but the problem of using an email
client from a non-FS connection is a show-stopper, so I couldn't recommend it
to anyone who would be travelling away from home.

Tiscali/ TalkTalk is the same.

BTW getting back to my own problem - More emails have failed to be
delivered and my service to TT's own servers (FTP, browsing and email)
is almost at a complete stop. Service to all others than TT is great.

I have wasted many hours yesterday and today, trying to get through to
someone in India without a script, who can think beyond the script.

I think I have at last, after tearing much hair out, appear to have got
their attention.

Why would there only be a problem using their servers?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old February 25th 14, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 24/02/2014 21:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
NY wrote :
[...]

Sounds like this is becoming a case for transfer to a decent ISP?

Old February 26th 14, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 25/02/2014 12:29, George Weston wrote:
On 24/02/2014 21:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have wasted many hours yesterday and today, trying to get through to
someone in India without a script, who can think beyond the script.

I think I have at last, after tearing much hair out, appear to have got
their attention.

Why would there only be a problem using their servers?

Sounds like this is becoming a case for transfer to a decent ISP?

He has had plenty of cases for transfering somewhere else but there is
something that is stopping him, 'email prison'? - or perhaps work are
paying for the connection.

--
Adrian C

Old February 26th 14, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 26/02/2014 10:53, Adrian C wrote:
On 25/02/2014 12:29, George Weston wrote:
On 24/02/2014 21:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have wasted many hours yesterday and today, trying to get through to
someone in India without a script, who can think beyond the script.

I think I have at last, after tearing much hair out, appear to have got
their attention.

Why would there only be a problem using their servers?

Sounds like this is becoming a case for transfer to a decent ISP?

He has had plenty of cases for transfering somewhere else but there is
something that is stopping him, 'email prison'? - or perhaps work are
paying for the connection.

Inertia brings its own rewards... or lack of them ;-)
Old February 26th 14, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Adrian C wrote :
On 25/02/2014 12:29, George Weston wrote:
On 24/02/2014 21:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have wasted many hours yesterday and today, trying to get through to
someone in India without a script, who can think beyond the script.

I think I have at last, after tearing much hair out, appear to have got
their attention.

Why would there only be a problem using their servers?

Sounds like this is becoming a case for transfer to a decent ISP?

He has had plenty of cases for transfering somewhere else but there is
something that is stopping him, 'email prison'? - or perhaps work are paying
for the connection.

What's an 'email prison'?

Yes its a long standing email address plus wespace, known to thousands
and changing is not something I would really want to go through if it
can be avoided