Slightly OT - email query

Old February 28th 14, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

Default Slightly OT - email query

I've got my own domain name and the package doesn't offer a mailbox, so I've
used email forwarding (at the moment to outlook.com). However, outgoing
emails appear as "sent on behalf of..." which I'd prefer not to use.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Outlook.com? Failing that, is there
a simple, free IMAP service which will allow me to send and receive emails
via my personal domain name (name-at-mydomain.com) , without a similar "on
behalf of..." message, which I think also appears in Gmail?

Thanks in advance.

---

Old February 28th 14, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Bob" wrote

I've got my own domain name and the package doesn't offer a mailbox, so
I've

used email forwarding (at the moment to outlook.com). However, outgoing
emails appear as "sent on behalf of..." which I'd prefer not to use.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Outlook.com? Failing that, is
there

a simple, free IMAP service which will allow me to send and receive emails
via my personal domain name (name-at-mydomain.com) , without a similar "on
behalf of..." message, which I think also appears in Gmail?

My understanding was that Gmail didn't do that but that there was such an
item in the headers which gave the Googlemail address.

--
Mike D

Old February 28th 14, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

I've got my own domain name and the package doesn't offer a mailbox, so
I've

used email forwarding (at the moment to outlook.com). However, outgoing
emails appear as "sent on behalf of..." which I'd prefer not to use.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Outlook.com? Failing that, is
there

a simple, free IMAP service which will allow me to send and receive emails
via my personal domain name (name-at-mydomain.com) , without a similar "on
behalf of..." message, which I think also appears in Gmail?

My understanding was that Gmail didn't do that but that there was such an
item in the headers which gave the Googlemail address.

--------------

Thanks, Mike, but Gmail does include the "on behalf of..." bit, unless you
send through your own domain's smtp server (which my domain registrar
doesn't provide - it's only a forwarding service). Grr!

Any other ideas, anyone? All suggestions gratefully accepted.

---

Old February 28th 14, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 28/02/2014 in message Bob wrote:

Any other ideas, anyone? All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Why not get your domain hosted, it's not expensive.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
Old February 28th 14, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"Bob" wrote in message

unless you send through your own domain's smtp server (which my domain
registrar doesn't provide - it's only a forwarding service). Grr!

Hmm! time to change host ;-}}

PA

Old February 28th 14, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Bob wrote:
I've got my own domain name and the package doesn't offer a mailbox, so
I've used email forwarding (at the moment to outlook.com). However,
outgoing emails appear as "sent on behalf of..." which I'd prefer not to
use.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Outlook.com? Failing that, is
there a simple, free IMAP service which will allow me to send and
receive emails via my personal domain name (name-at-mydomain.com) ,
without a similar "on behalf of..." message, which I think also appears
in Gmail?

Thanks in advance.

Yahoo! does this quite well. OTOH there are other issues with Yahoo I
am aware of, although I, personally, haven't suffered (yet).

Old February 28th 14, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

On 28/02/2014 12:39, Bob wrote:
I've got my own domain name and the package doesn't offer a mailbox, so
I've used email forwarding (at the moment to outlook.com). However,
outgoing emails appear as "sent on behalf of..." which I'd prefer not to
use.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Outlook.com? Failing that, is
there a simple, free IMAP service which will allow me to send and
receive emails via my personal domain name (name-at-mydomain.com) ,
without a similar "on behalf of..." message, which I think also appears
in Gmail?

Thanks in advance.

---
protection is active.

I can receive emails addressed to my domain name and forwarded by
123-reg to a pop.gmail.com account.

Emails that I send via smtp.gmail.com appear to come from my domain.

There is no 'on behalf of'.

--
Michael Chare
Old March 1st 14, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

I've got my own domain name and the package doesn't offer a mailbox, so
I've used email forwarding (at the moment to outlook.com). However,
outgoing emails appear as "sent on behalf of..." which I'd prefer not to
use.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Outlook.com? Failing that, is
there a simple, free IMAP service which will allow me to send and
receive emails via my personal domain name (name-at-mydomain.com) ,
without a similar "on behalf of..." message, which I think also appears
in Gmail?

Thanks in advance.

I can receive emails addressed to my domain name and forwarded by
123-reg to a pop.gmail.com account.

Emails that I send via smtp.gmail.com appear to come from my domain.

There is no 'on behalf of'.

------------

A great deal depends on the mail client at the recipient's end. For
example, I can send an email from my own domain via gmail to several
addresses. In Gmail, my Android mail client and several others, it just
shows the email address. However, in Outlook 2003 and 2010 it shows the "on
behalf of...". Some mail clients pick this up from the header information,
some don't. Unfortunately, my friend's main clients are all corporates who
use Outlook 2010.

---

Old March 1st 14, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve[_2_]

Bob used his keyboard to write :
I've got my own domain name and the package doesn't offer a mailbox, so I've
used email forwarding (at the moment to outlook.com). However, outgoing
emails appear as "sent on behalf of..." which I'd prefer not to use.

Does anyone know if I can do this with Outlook.com? Failing that, is there a
simple, free IMAP service which will allow me to send and receive emails via
my personal domain name (name-at-mydomain.com) , without a similar "on behalf
of..." message, which I think also appears in Gmail?

I have my own domain name (for example, aaa.co.uk) hosted with
www.1and1.co.uk but it didn't come with email, so I pay 69p + vat per
month for their Instant Mail service, which allows me to have dozens of
addresses in the form of , ,
etc., etc. Well worth less than a quid a month IMHO.

Old March 1st 14, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Michael
Chare writes
On 28/02/2014 12:39, Bob wrote:
[...]