Pinging MY IP

Old March 2nd 14, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Pinging MY IP

If I were to ping my WAN IP, the IP my ISP has dynamically allocated
me, what would I actually be pinging?

Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my
local exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old March 2nd 14, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:12:49 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

If I were to ping my WAN IP, the IP my ISP has dynamically allocated
me, what would I actually be pinging?

Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

Your router - assuning there is one. Basically whatever responds to
that IP address. Could be the router or in a router-less setup your
PC. Depending on the router it may "short circuit" internally, bounce
off the next router upstream or not work at all without some tweaking
to NAT settings.

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my
local exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

Ping the default route the *router* has if you can find it - *not* the
defalut route of the PC - that will be the router's LAN address. Your
ISP may publish a ping address, otherwise something that is unlikely
to be down/rejecting - say Google DNS 8.8.8.8

HTH
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old March 2nd 14, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 02/03/14 10:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
If I were to ping my WAN IP, the IP my ISP has dynamically allocated me,
what would I actually be pinging?

Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my local
exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

Your router, assuming it responds

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old March 2nd 14, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 10:12:49 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

If I were to ping my WAN IP, the IP my ISP has dynamically allocated
me, what would I actually be pinging?

Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

I'd expect PING to follow the same path as TRACERT so do a tracert to
your router and see whether it is direct or goes via a route (RT).

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my
local exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

You can try pinging from a remote site ie:

http://remote-ping.com/

Make sure your router is set up to respond to an external ping.

There are other utilities eg

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/

just google remote ping tool or remote tracert tool or similar

--
AnthonyL
Old March 2nd 14, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

AnthonyL used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

If I were to ping my WAN IP, the IP my ISP has dynamically allocated
me, what would I actually be pinging?

Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

I'd expect PING to follow the same path as TRACERT so do a tracert to
your router and see whether it is direct or goes via a route (RT).

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my
local exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

You can try pinging from a remote site ie:

http://remote-ping.com/

Make sure your router is set up to respond to an external ping.

There are other utilities eg

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/

just google remote ping tool or remote tracert tool or similar

Thanks, just what I needed. My router is set to respond to pings and it
shows no response at all from the remote ping test.

Old March 2nd 14, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote
in message
. uk...
wrote:

[...]

Your router may be set to respond to pings but that will
almost certainly on your side of the NAT. The likelihood is
that your ISP's serving router is probably blocked.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 2nd 14, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 02/03/2014 10:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
If I were to ping my WAN IP, the IP my ISP has dynamically allocated me,
what would I actually be pinging?

Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my local
exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

What are you actually setting out to achieve?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 2nd 14, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my
local exchange?

I don't think there is anything at the exchange that routes at the
level of your IP packets. They just get passed on uninterpreted to
your ISP.

-- Richard
Old March 2nd 14, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

If I were to ping my WAN IP, the IP my ISP has dynamically allocated
me, what would I actually be pinging?

Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

I'd expect PING to follow the same path as TRACERT so do a tracert to
your router and see whether it is direct or goes via a route (RT).

If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my
local exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

You can try pinging from a remote site ie:

http://remote-ping.com/

Make sure your router is set up to respond to an external ping.

There are other utilities eg
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/

just google remote ping tool or remote tracert tool or similar

Thanks, just what I needed. My router is set to respond to pings and it
shows no response at all from the remote ping test.

Depending on the router, you may have to specify the IP address that
pings come from.

--
Graham J

Old March 3rd 14, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Woody explained on 02/03/2014 :
wrote:

[...]

My router has no on/off setting for its LAN side - it always responds.

It does have a WAN side on/off, which I have double checked is on and
it is responding....

I never turn the router off and here is the result from Pingdom..

PingdomAlert DOWN:
My TT IP (88.111.???.??) is down since 03/02/2014 11:31:25PM.

PingdomAlert UP:
My TT IP (88.111.???.??) is UP again at 03/03/2014 08:15:25AM, after
8h 44m of downtime.

The overall average response time is 325mS - I assumes that is the
average for just the time when it gets a response to the ping?

Throughout, my router has remained rock solidly connected, with zero
errors between it and the exchange.

TT have now offered me two months of no charge for the entire package,
a good reduction in cost after that and a promise to sort the issues
out.
We have another provider already set up to move to, if they don't sort
it out.