BT Infinity speed problem

Old March 2nd 14, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

Default BT Infinity speed problem

I am on BT Infinity 2 Unlimited. When installed I received downloads of
around 73 MB. Just recently I sensed the speed had dropped was starting to
get buffering when using NOW gadget for films. I did a speed test and found
my speed to be 44MB. When I did the test on BT Wholesale and run the
diagnostics one as well it reported 44.01MB and said the Max I could expect
was 44.92MB!! Now I know this isn't right as I know what I was getting
before. I wondered if this has happened before. Trying to get any useful
information is practically impossible if anyone will know who has ever
phoned the Help Line I just don't have the will to go there at the moment
knowing what the outcome will be!!

Lynn

Old March 2nd 14, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Lynn W wrote:
I am on BT Infinity 2 Unlimited. When installed I received downloads of
around 73 MB. Just recently I sensed the speed had dropped was starting to
get buffering when using NOW gadget for films. I did a speed test and found
my speed to be 44MB. When I did the test on BT Wholesale and run the
diagnostics one as well it reported 44.01MB and said the Max I could expect
was 44.92MB!! Now I know this isn't right as I know what I was getting
before. I wondered if this has happened before. Trying to get any useful
information is practically impossible if anyone will know who has ever
phoned the Help Line I just don't have the will to go there at the moment
knowing what the outcome will be!!

Lynn

So why did you choose BT ??

There are several professional ISPs who would understand your question
and help you to find out the nature of the problem ...

--
Graham J

Old March 2nd 14, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Lynn W" wrote in message
news:CF391C19.6C7E8%[email protected] ternet.com...
I am on BT Infinity 2 Unlimited. When installed I received downloads of
around 73 MB. Just recently I sensed the speed had dropped was starting to
get buffering when using NOW gadget for films. I did a speed test and
found
my speed to be 44MB. When I did the test on BT Wholesale and run the
diagnostics one as well it reported 44.01MB and said the Max I could
expect
was 44.92MB!! Now I know this isn't right as I know what I was getting
before. I wondered if this has happened before. Trying to get any useful
information is practically impossible if anyone will know who has ever
phoned the Help Line I just don't have the will to go there at the moment
knowing what the outcome will be!!

Lynn

There has been a lot of rain recently....

Old March 2nd 14, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

On 02/03/2014 19:29, in article ,
"Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

Lynn W wrote:
[...]

I have always been with BT before they outsourced their HelpDesk

Lynn

Old March 2nd 14, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Lynn W wrote:
[...]

Good time to change then!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 3rd 14, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve[_2_]

After serious thinking Lynn W wrote :
I am on BT Infinity 2 Unlimited. When installed I received downloads of
around 73 MB. Just recently I sensed the speed had dropped was starting to
get buffering when using NOW gadget for films. I did a speed test and found
my speed to be 44MB. When I did the test on BT Wholesale and run the
diagnostics one as well it reported 44.01MB and said the Max I could expect
was 44.92MB!! Now I know this isn't right as I know what I was getting
before. I wondered if this has happened before. Trying to get any useful
information is practically impossible if anyone will know who has ever
phoned the Help Line I just don't have the will to go there at the moment
knowing what the outcome will be!!

Lynn

Don't you just love the BT knockers - very helpful.

Well, as R. Mark Clayton said, there has indeed been a lot of rain and
your problems could be due to the weather, or indeed a myriad of other
things.

I don't know how techincally competent you are, but if you have a
HUAWEI HG612 white Openreach modem and you feel up to it, you can
modify it by uploading new firmware to it, which then allows you to
monitor the line conditions and statistics and get some very useful
information. Instructions here http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

Old March 3rd 14, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve[_2_]

Steve submitted this idea :
[...]

Instructions for unlocking the modem he
http://huaweihg612hacking.files.word...tions_v1-3.pdf

Old March 3rd 14, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

On 03/03/2014 10:36, in article ,
"Steve" wrote:

After serious thinking Lynn W wrote :
I am on BT Infinity 2 Unlimited. When installed I received downloads of
around 73 MB. Just recently I sensed the speed had dropped was starting to
get buffering when using NOW gadget for films. I did a speed test and found
my speed to be 44MB. When I did the test on BT Wholesale and run the
diagnostics one as well it reported 44.01MB and said the Max I could expect
was 44.92MB!! Now I know this isn't right as I know what I was getting
before. I wondered if this has happened before. Trying to get any useful
information is practically impossible if anyone will know who has ever
phoned the Help Line I just don't have the will to go there at the moment
knowing what the outcome will be!!

Lynn

Don't you just love the BT knockers - very helpful.

Water off a ducks back Steve my husband worked for them for over 40 years in
charge of the telephone exchanges. Had to operate a lot of the later years
with their hands tied behind their backs but that's a whole different
argument and not for here. Just really dislike talking to India as polite
as they are lol

Well, as R. Mark Clayton said, there has indeed been a lot of rain and
your problems could be due to the weather, or indeed a myriad of other
things.

Cant understand why on the BT Wholesale speed tester where it allows you to
go to diagnostics its states the max as 44.92 MB because looking at that I'm
getting nearly maximum but I know when installed I was getting around 73MB

I don't know how techincally competent you are, but if you have a
HUAWEI HG612 white Openreach modem and you feel up to it, you can
modify it by uploading new firmware to it, which then allows you to
monitor the line conditions and statistics and get some very useful
information. Instructions here
http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

I'll have a look at what modem I have it is a white one

Lynn

Old March 3rd 14, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 03/03/2014 13:23, Lynn W wrote:
On 03/03/2014 10:36, in article ,
wrote:

[...]

I worked for BT for nearly that long and had a similar "loyalty" for a
few years years after I left. However, this rapidly faded when they
introduced the Indian call centre and also when Yahoo took over their
email service. I switched to Plusnet at that time for a cheaper, better
customer experience and have stayed with them since, even changing my
phone service to Plusnet last year when BT put up their prices.
The irony is that BT now own Plusnet but (so far) are running it at arms
length. Long may that arrangement continue!
Old March 6th 14, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Steve
writes
[...]

Might be worth switching off the modem and then switching it back on to
get it to resynch.
--
bert