very slow upload help please

Old March 4th 14, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
iCod

Default very slow upload help please

I have just been to visit a friend with a strange (to me) broadband
problem. The upload speed has dropped to 4kbs about 3 weeks ago. This
makes sending email (Outlook web mail) almost impossible also going
back and forth between open web pages takes several or more clicks.
I'm sure that the upload speed was 200-300kbs when I set up his BT
broadband. He is about 2 miles from the exchange as the line goes.
Several speed checks indicate download speed as 2.33Mbs as It should
be but only 4kbs upload. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any
ideas to sort this problem would be most appreciated
Old March 4th 14, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"iCod" wrote in message
I have just been to visit a friend with a strange (to me)
broadband
problem. The upload speed has dropped to 4kbs about 3
weeks ago. This
makes sending email (Outlook web mail) almost impossible
also going
back and forth between open web pages takes several or
more clicks.
I'm sure that the upload speed was 200-300kbs when I set
up his BT
broadband. He is about 2 miles from the exchange as the
line goes.
Several speed checks indicate download speed as 2.33Mbs as
It should
be but only 4kbs upload. Has anyone seen this problem
before? Any
ideas to sort this problem would be most appreciated

Try resetting the modem/router (the little button) and see
if it improves.

If your friend is only 3Km from the exchange it should be
faster than that. Who is his ISP and what speed is he on?
2Mb download should give at least 200K upload.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 4th 14, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

iCod wrote:
I have just been to visit a friend with a strange (to me) broadband
problem. The upload speed has dropped to 4kbs about 3 weeks ago. This
makes sending email (Outlook web mail) almost impossible also going
back and forth between open web pages takes several or more clicks.
I'm sure that the upload speed was 200-300kbs when I set up his BT
broadband. He is about 2 miles from the exchange as the line goes.
Several speed checks indicate download speed as 2.33Mbs as It should
be but only 4kbs upload. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any
ideas to sort this problem would be most appreciated

I've seen exactly this problem before. Solved by changing to a decent
ISP, on the grounds that it was impossible to explain the problem to
anybody on the BT helpdesk.

Ring a good ISP (e.g. Zen Internet, or Andrews & Arnold) and ask for
sales. Explain that you are considering migrating to them on condition
that they answer your technical questions. Suggest that they get
somebody technical to ring you back. Then explain your problem, ask
them what they think is causing it, and whether they would be able to
avoid/resolve the problem if you migrated.

If you understand and like their explanation, then migrate.

--
Graham J

Old March 5th 14, 04:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 04/03/14 20:09, iCod wrote:
I have just been to visit a friend with a strange (to me) broadband
problem. The upload speed has dropped to 4kbs about 3 weeks ago. This
makes sending email (Outlook web mail) almost impossible also going
back and forth between open web pages takes several or more clicks.
I'm sure that the upload speed was 200-300kbs when I set up his BT
broadband. He is about 2 miles from the exchange as the line goes.
Several speed checks indicate download speed as 2.33Mbs as It should
be but only 4kbs upload. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any
ideas to sort this problem would be most appreciated

check he ain't on a poor wifi

and check its the same to all sites - use a speed test - try several

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old March 5th 14, 06:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
iCod wrote:
[...]

Good suggestion, but an easier way is to get him to change
to PlusNet who do speak technical and English (well Sheffuld
English anyway) and who are renowned for their helpfulness -
their technical man not only reads but often replies on this
NG. They will probably be cheaper as well.

Old March 5th 14, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 04/03/2014 20:09, iCod wrote:
I have just been to visit a friend with a strange (to me) broadband
problem. The upload speed has dropped to 4kbs about 3 weeks ago. This
makes sending email (Outlook web mail) almost impossible also going
back and forth between open web pages takes several or more clicks.

What do the modem statistics for SNR, sync and error rates say?

I'm sure that the upload speed was 200-300kbs when I set up his BT
broadband. He is about 2 miles from the exchange as the line goes.
Several speed checks indicate download speed as 2.33Mbs as It should
be but only 4kbs upload. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any
ideas to sort this problem would be most appreciated

Use one of the BT speedtester sites and get it to tell you the sync
rates, do the advanced line diagnostics and then grumble at BT.

I have a similar problem on my rural line where download speed and sync
rate is fine at 5Mbps but upload performance is compromised somewhat. It
has proved very difficult to get it fixed but as my uplink syncs at 448k
but has an alarming number of hard error seconds per day about 120.

I suspect my problem is local MW RF pickup on the line that is in band
for the uplink and so interferes with some channels.

I haven't had any joy with getting it fixed but it doesn't affect my
normal usage (minor irritation streaming HD video).

Routerstats lite is quite handy for monitoring a badly behaved line with
an intermittent fault if it supports your modem.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 5th 14, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Martin Brown wrote:
[snip]

Routerstats lite is quite handy for monitoring a badly behaved line with
an intermittent fault if it supports your modem.

I've been able to configure the full version of RouterStats (version
6.8k) to work with several routers, including Vigor 2600 and Vigor 2800,
and TP-Link TD-W8960N ; so please ask here if you need guidance.

What I haven't been able to do is to get it to work with the Vigor 2820
- so if anybody has, please let me know.

--
Graham J

Old March 5th 14, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 05/03/2014 09:14, Graham J wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
[snip]

Routerstats lite is quite handy for monitoring a badly behaved line with
an intermittent fault if it supports your modem.

I've been able to configure the full version of RouterStats (version
6.8k) to work with several routers, including Vigor 2600 and Vigor 2800,
and TP-Link TD-W8960N ; so please ask here if you need guidance.

What I haven't been able to do is to get it to work with the Vigor 2820
- so if anybody has, please let me know.

Have you had any luck making it work with daft routers that use
Javascript and frames to make access to their statistics difficult?

eg Modern Orange Brightbox where the stats are all available but hidden
in a deep dark recess protected by a button that *must* be pressed to
acknowledge that Advanced mode allows you to do dangerous things.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 5th 14, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 05/03/14 09:59, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/03/2014 09:14, Graham J wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
[snip]

Routerstats lite is quite handy for monitoring a badly behaved line with
an intermittent fault if it supports your modem.

I've been able to configure the full version of RouterStats (version
6.8k) to work with several routers, including Vigor 2600 and Vigor 2800,
and TP-Link TD-W8960N ; so please ask here if you need guidance.

What I haven't been able to do is to get it to work with the Vigor 2820
- so if anybody has, please let me know.

Have you had any luck making it work with daft routers that use
Javascript and frames to make access to their statistics difficult?

eg Modern Orange Brightbox where the stats are all available but hidden
in a deep dark recess protected by a button that *must* be pressed to
acknowledge that Advanced mode allows you to do dangerous things.

use snmp if available.
Oh the joys of snmp..;-)

Old March 5th 14, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 04/03/2014 20:09, iCod wrote:
I have just been to visit a friend with a strange (to me) broadband
problem. The upload speed has dropped to 4kbs about 3 weeks ago. This
makes sending email (Outlook web mail) almost impossible also going
back and forth between open web pages takes several or more clicks.
I'm sure that the upload speed was 200-300kbs when I set up his BT
broadband. He is about 2 miles from the exchange as the line goes.
Several speed checks indicate download speed as 2.33Mbs as It should
be but only 4kbs upload. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any
ideas to sort this problem would be most appreciated

As others have said, re=boot the router and see whether that helps.

Then look at whatever stats are available on the router - particularly
the up and down synch speeds and the up and down noise margins (SNRs) -
and report back here.
--
Cheers,
Roger