Difference between solid and flexible cable RJ45 crimps

Old March 5th 14, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Difference between solid and flexible cable RJ45 crimps

I could do with sourcing about a dozen RJ45 crimps for solid cable, but
ebay sellers confuse the two types and some even say theirs are
suitable for both.

What is the difference between the two types and has anyone got a known
reliable source for a small number of the correct type please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Old March 5th 14, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

What is the difference between the two types and has anyone got a known
reliable source for a small number of the correct type please?

Last time I had to buy some of both types, it seemed to be the stranded
ones that were difficult to come by, according to this page

https://www.brucetambling.com/wiki/Studio1100:Cat_5

there are three types, all of which are suitable for stranded, some for
both, and there aren't any that are for solid only ...

Old March 5th 14, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

What is the difference between the two types and has anyone got a known
reliable source for a small number of the correct type please?

Last time I had to buy some of both types, it seemed to be the stranded
ones that were difficult to come by, according to this page

https://www.brucetambling.com/wiki/Studio1100:Cat_5

there are three types, all of which are suitable for stranded, some for
both, and there aren't any that are for solid only ...

I found it very difficult to differentiate the two types, in fact I
still can't differentiate the ones I have 'in stock'.

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 25th 14, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us :
It happens that Mike Tomlinson formulated :
En el artículo , escribió:

I found it very difficult to differentiate the two types, in fact I
still can't differentiate the ones I have 'in stock'.

The ones for stranded cable have a spike that punctures the insulation
and contacts the core of each wire, the ones for solid have two fingers
that bite into the insulation and part of the core in a way similar to
the Krone punch-down IDC (insulation displacement) connectors used in
telecoms.

It can be *very* difficult to tell which type you have, as you can't see
the business end of the pins within the connector body.

Thanks, I just need to find an honest seller now who knows what he is
selling.

I don't beleeeive it!

I found a US Ebay seller who three times in there ad said their plugs
were for solid cable, promptly ordered them, followed the order up with
a request for an assurance that the were definately for solid rather
than stranded - was assured they were.

I then waited until today for delivery and they are the stranded type
of which I already have several hundred. I have opened an Ebay dispute
- wrongly described.

Old March 26th 14, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

En el artículo , escribió:

[...]

I once had to attend a training session at work and amongst other
things we were "taught" how to terminate UTP.

Now there is no easy way to tell someone more senior in the company
than yourself that they haven't a clue, and they are trying to crimp
RJ45s intended for stranded onto solid core cable, and even if it
works, it will be unreliable because the axial "blades" would probably
fracture the conductors and, if you were lucky you would be left with
a point contact of the end of the wires touching the "blades".

No easy way, but I tried.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old March 26th 14, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Graham. laid this down on his screen :

En el artículo , escribió:

[...]

Exactly what I have found! My own struggles seem to suggest a less than
20% chance of succeeding to make a cable which passes even the initial.

I am completely amased by the number in the industry who simply are not
aware of the difference oor that there are two specific types.

I only need a dozen of these correct plugs, for solid. Can anyone
supply me with them oon this ng and put me out of my misery please?