Can BT cancel my e mail account of 20 years

Old March 8th 14, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mack Danife

Default Can BT cancel my e mail account of 20 years

I had a bt email over 20 years now -before Yahoo before ADSL - heaven
knows where i am registered with that e mail. Subscriptions, forums, online
accounts etc.

I had broadband account with O2- ( now with awfull Sky ).. Bt sends me
email that they will stop my .btinternet email unless I start paying 1.60
a month or I get a broadband from them in which case it will continue
free as before . ( I wish I could get a broadband with BT without paying
Sky a hefty sum to release from my contract )

1.60 may not be an issue itself but the manner BT is forcing and
threatening that they will cancel your email just like that seems unfair to
me.

P.S = I read somehere that BT was ending Yahoo venture.
Old March 9th 14, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Mack Danife
writes

I had a bt email over 20 years now -before Yahoo before ADSL - heaven
knows where i am registered with that e mail. Subscriptions, forums, online
accounts etc.

I had broadband account with O2- ( now with awfull Sky ).. Bt sends me
email that they will stop my .btinternet email unless I start paying 1.60
a month or I get a broadband from them in which case it will continue
free as before . ( I wish I could get a broadband with BT without paying
Sky a hefty sum to release from my contract )

1.60 may not be an issue itself but the manner BT is forcing and
threatening that they will cancel your email just like that seems unfair to
me.

Why should they provide you with this service f-o-c?
P.S = I read somehere that BT was ending Yahoo venture.

Switching to Critical Path. Supposedly migration starting June last
year.
--
bert
Old March 9th 14, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mack Danife

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 00:41:54 +0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , Mack Danife
writes

I had a bt email over 20 years now -before Yahoo before ADSL - heaven
knows where i am registered with that e mail. Subscriptions, forums, online
accounts etc.

I had broadband account with O2- ( now with awfull Sky ).. Bt sends me
email that they will stop my .btinternet email unless I start paying 1.60
a month or I get a broadband from them in which case it will continue
free as before . ( I wish I could get a broadband with BT without paying
Sky a hefty sum to release from my contract )

1.60 may not be an issue itself but the manner BT is forcing and
threatening that they will cancel your email just like that seems unfair to
me.

Why should they provide you with this service f-o-c?

They had been doing it for 20 years
besides they can freely monitor what i write !!!!!! in their
OWN SERVERS or will they be paying yahoo for it

It will still be free if i subscribe to broadband.

Old March 9th 14, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

On 08/03/2014 23:04, Mack Danife wrote:

I had a bt email over 20 years now -before Yahoo before ADSL - heaven
knows where i am registered with that e mail. Subscriptions, forums, online
accounts etc.

I had broadband account with O2- ( now with awfull Sky ).. Bt sends me
email that they will stop my .btinternet email unless I start paying 1.60
a month or I get a broadband from them in which case it will continue
free as before . ( I wish I could get a broadband with BT without paying
Sky a hefty sum to release from my contract )

1.60 may not be an issue itself but the manner BT is forcing and
threatening that they will cancel your email just like that seems unfair to
me.

It is question of semantics. It never was free but when you were a BT
broadband customer it was inclusive. They just overlooked, or ignored,
the account once you left and have now woken up. They have every right
to close the account and you really have no redress.

--
Peter Crosland
Old March 9th 14, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 01:47:25 +0000, Mack Danife
wrote:

[...]

From the business perspective I can see an argument against providing
a free service to non-customers! I believe there are data protection
issues that would prevent monitoring the content of your emails and in
any event I cannot see how such activity would benefit BT.
Old March 9th 14, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 08/03/2014 23:04, Mack Danife wrote:

I had a bt email over 20 years now -before Yahoo before ADSL - heaven
knows where i am registered with that e mail. Subscriptions, forums, online
accounts etc.

I had broadband account with O2- ( now with awfull Sky ).. Bt sends me
email that they will stop my .btinternet email unless I start paying 1.60
a month or I get a broadband from them in which case it will continue
free as before . ( I wish I could get a broadband with BT without paying
Sky a hefty sum to release from my contract )

1.60 may not be an issue itself but the manner BT is forcing and
threatening that they will cancel your email just like that seems unfair to
me.

P.S = I read somehere that BT was ending Yahoo venture.

Presumably, at the time when you first acquired the btinternet address,
you received an internet service from BT for which you paid them in one
way or another - such as dial-up using an 0845 number or a fixed price
monthly contract?

And, presumably, you're now paying a different company for your internet
service? If so, why do you believe that BT should continue to provide
you with a free email service?

Some organisations *do* actually do this. For example, I'm still able to
use a Freeserve email address even though I haven't had a
Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange account for many years. But I have no absolute
*right* to that. If Orange were to withdraw it, I would have no
legitimate grounds for complaint because they don't get any revenue from me.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 9th 14, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 09/03/2014 09:17, Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. I left BT many years ago when I migrated to Plusnet. It
wasn't long before I got the email from BT asking me to pay if I wanted
to continue with the @btinternet.com email address. I did just that for
a few months, until I'd advised all my contacts of my new Plusnet email
address, and then ceased the BT one.
You've actually been lucky that they've only just caught up with you!
Pay up and look big...

Old March 9th 14, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"Mack Danife" wrote in message

I had a bt email over 20 years now -before Yahoo before ADSL - heaven
knows where i am registered with that e mail. Subscriptions, forums,
online
accounts etc.

I also have such an email account. I'm most grateful to the current
servicer of that long-defunct ISP's customers - a servicer who has never had
a penny out of me.

If he chooses to demand payment for future services - or just to cut me
off - I'll be grateful for what I've had - and move on.

PA

Old March 9th 14, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mack Danife

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 11:10:51 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 08/03/2014 23:04, Mack Danife wrote:

Presumably, at the time when you first acquired the btinternet address,
you received an internet service from BT for which you paid them in one
way or another - such as dial-up using an 0845 number or a fixed price
monthly contract?

Yes. At the time there was no other telephone company whatsoever. You
registered free for e mail and used dial up. AOL, Pipex Compuserve etc was
providing internet services. BT with 57Kb dialup was best. I have always
preferred BT and only moved away, when they no longer provide the service.
Hence O2, hence other Usenet providers. I will go back to BT as soon as I
can . I hope one day they will start giving mobile services too.

And, presumably, you're now paying a different company for your internet
service? If so, why do you believe that BT should continue to provide
you with a free email service?

I use web mail, Provider makes revenue from advertisements from their pages.
msn, yahoo, google provide many free services. Why do they do it ?

Some organisations *do* actually do this. For example, I'm still able to
use a Freeserve email address even though I haven't had a
Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange account for many years. But I have no absolute
*right* to that. If Orange were to withdraw it, I would have no
legitimate grounds for complaint because they don't get any revenue from me.

So you can be a revenue bringing tool even though not paying directly.
As you say ,why would they do it otherwise. Maybe numbers look on their
balance sheets.

Old March 9th 14, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mack Danife

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 11:14:13 +0000, George Weston
wrote:

On 09/03/2014 09:17, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 08/03/2014 23:04, Mack Danife wrote:

I had a bt email over 20 years now -before Yahoo before ADSL - heaven
knows where i am registered with that e mail. Subscriptions, forums,
online
accounts etc.

You've actually been lucky that they've only just caught up with you!
Pay up and look big...

I hear what you are saying..

I think I will pay 3network, Telefonica, Google, MSN, Skype, and ride on my
Volkswagen, and look even bigger and more Liberal