Mobile and wi-fi coverage on trains

Old March 15th 14, 09:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Scott

Default Mobile and wi-fi coverage on trains

I hope the cross-posting is appropriate!

I notice some trains have enhanced mobile phone coverage and wi-fi. I
wonder how that works. Does the train have to be within reception for
mobile coverage and within a 3G (or 4G) area for wi-fi to work, or is
there a different way of getting the signal to the train?

Is there perhaps a 25kV version of the powerline adapter to allow
distrbution using the overhead line equipment?

(It may have been appropriate but was not successful first time!)
Old March 15th 14, 09:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Recliner[_2_]

Scott wrote:
I hope the cross-posting is appropriate!

I notice some trains have enhanced mobile phone coverage and wi-fi. I
wonder how that works. Does the train have to be within reception for
mobile coverage and within a 3G (or 4G) area for wi-fi to work, or is
there a different way of getting the signal to the train?

Is there perhaps a 25kV version of the powerline adapter to allow
distrbution using the overhead line equipment?

(It may have been appropriate but was not successful first time!)

Yes, it was. This is your second post, six minutes later.
Old March 15th 14, 09:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Scott

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:42:00 -0500, Recliner
wrote:

Scott wrote:
I hope the cross-posting is appropriate!

I notice some trains have enhanced mobile phone coverage and wi-fi. I
wonder how that works. Does the train have to be within reception for
mobile coverage and within a 3G (or 4G) area for wi-fi to work, or is
there a different way of getting the signal to the train?

Is there perhaps a 25kV version of the powerline adapter to allow
distrbution using the overhead line equipment?

(It may have been appropriate but was not successful first time!)

Yes, it was. This is your second post, six minutes later.

That's interesing because when I posted it only appeared on uk.railway
and not on the other two groups. However, it is now on all three
groups. I wonder if the Agent cross-post management system stopped it
appearing at first then when your reply was posted this triggered my
posting to appear on all three groups.

Do I need to cross-post to another group for an answer :-)
Old March 15th 14, 10:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Recliner[_2_]

wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

Propagation can be slow -- best to wait a while before assuming something's
failed. It certainly looks to me that this reply of mine will be going to
all three groups.